PDA

View Full Version : Dry start

rosh
12-13-2005, 08:56 PM
Hi

I own a 1998 Mobius I just recive it yesterday and Im new on the inboards and in my home tow there are only 2 others that mine, so I wonder if it possible to dry start a direct drive like you do on a regular bayliner using the earplugs and a hose.

Thaks

Rosh

tygger6069
12-13-2005, 09:59 PM
rosh,

Welcome to the Moomba group! Yes you can run the Mobius out of the water. You will need to get a fake-a-lake. Similiar to the earmuffs that you used on the bayliner. The intake is on the bottom of the boat under the motor. The fake-a-lake hooks up there. Or you could pull the intake hose off of the motor and put the garden hous in the intake hose. But the fake-a-lake is easy to use. Hope that this helps and hope that you enjoy the Mobius.

Tygger

BensonWdby
12-14-2005, 12:36 AM
I read somewhere, I think on this board, where someone made a fake-a-lake with a bathroom plunger and a hose coupling....

marchina
12-14-2005, 01:06 AM
Hello,

Fake a lake or factory flush kit is a good option, i use fake a lake in a mobius lsv with exellent results, i bought mine at overtonīs, just never run the engine without water and donīt buy from buywake they are not nice people they sold me a tower sock broken more than a month ago and still noresponse from them, west marine are good too.

Happy wakeboarding and welcome to the bes boats brand ever.

Simon

05mobiusxlv
12-14-2005, 02:09 AM
Just curious, what would happen if you ran your engine w/o the fake lake? Besides the obvious overheating. Is it safe for a minute or two? Or are there seals and other equipment that constantly needs water? I have never started my boat w/o the fake lake, not even for 5 seconds. But it was just something i was always wondering about.

Buttafewcoe
12-14-2005, 07:25 AM
The rubber impeller needs lubed by the water. The heat generated from the friction of the rubber against the housing will prolly do some damage, but maybe not.

You can always hope for the best, but be prepared for the worst.
Hope this helps
B

lowdrag
12-14-2005, 09:24 AM
The most I've ever run mine without water is to turn it over. As soon as it fires I shut it off. Most people would recommend against even doing this.

If you run it for any period of time you will fry the impeller. You don't have to leave it run for very long before the impeller will start to disintegrate and fragment. Now you have to worry about where the pieces of the impeller go. Most of the pieces will probably be small enough to pass through the cooling system and out the exhaust, but some pieces can lodge in the cooling system causing problems which would make it necessary to start tearing things apart to clear the blockage.

zabooda
12-14-2005, 10:38 AM
I made a fake-a-lake with a plunger and a brass hose fitting at Home Depot. Just don't leave it in the house 'cause someone will try and use it and get a shot of toilet back wash through the hole (hee hee).

qb12
12-14-2005, 10:49 AM
Zabooda, funny.

i put a flush pro on that works great. i was going to go with the fake a lake but thought that i read here that there were people who had problems with getting a tite seal.

Doug, t-town