PDA

View Full Version : Buffer newb

chawk610
03-22-2013, 12:23 PM
Got a nifty black and decker corded buffer for Christmas. Wanting to wax the boat with it but I have only ever waxed by hand. Any tips to keep me from screwing something up?

Casey

bkearney
03-22-2013, 12:27 PM
Small circles, go over several times with different levels of product. Here is a link to the products I ended up using.

http://kearneyville.com/2012/02/27/first-try-at-boat-detailing/

mmandley
03-22-2013, 12:28 PM
I buffed my boat fir the first time last summer.

What i learned was to make sure you are always moving, use steady pressure and even movements.

I found some buffer burn on the back and it happened when i was getting tired and tried to rush a bit.

I used terry cloth for the buffing to get off the water spots and then rewaxed it all by hand again.

I also taped things off like the rub rail screws, around anything sharp, rubber, and things of that nature.

Plan to spend some time cleaning the wax spray off the interior as well LOL.

chawk610
03-22-2013, 12:39 PM
hmmm... anyone want to buy a new in the box buffer?

wolfeman131
03-22-2013, 07:21 PM
Casey, post a bit and/or model number up of what you got. I'm betting it a different animal than a variable speed polisher and much less powerful and you wont have any problem waxing up the boat with it. I use a cordless Ryobi model about every other weekend with regular wax and it's very easy to quickly get a nice coat of wax on the boat.

jpetty3023
03-22-2013, 08:38 PM
hmmm... anyone want to buy a new in the box buffer?

bwahahaha!! atta boy

sent from my home phone

maxpower220
03-25-2013, 08:41 AM
If you have an orbital buffer, then you can use it with wax with no worries. A variable speed buffer or polisher is a different animal and you need some precautions. Let us know what you have.

Any of them will be safe if you use low speeds and keep it moving. Use the minimal "cut" product that you need.

BGeorge01
03-25-2013, 10:45 AM
They both do the same thing correct? I am about to start this myself and am looking at this one from Harbor Freight... http://www.harborfreight.com/sanderpolisher-7-variable-speed-69474.html. Also new to this, I have read a couple threads on here and figured this was the way to go. Ive got scratches, oxidation, and dullness that I need to bring a shine to the whole boat. Gonna start and practice with the platform since I have a new pad coming. The thing Im not sure about is do I wet sand then polish or will a coumpound be better than a wet sand. Sorry to high jack the thread.

[QUOTE=maxpower220;210664]If you have an orbital buffer, then you can use it with wax with no worries. A variable speed buffer or polisher is a different animal and you need some precautions. Let us know what you have.

kaneboats
03-25-2013, 11:28 AM
That's the variable speed one. The orbital one keeps you from burning through. Always keep the vairable speed one moving or you can burn through the paint or gel coat- be extremely careful on ridges. Just like with block sanding, do one surface, then the other-- try not to cross the ridge with it if you can help it.

BGeorge01
03-25-2013, 12:33 PM
Ya, there was a thread that I was reading and the guy said that he just used one(variable speed) for the first time after using orbital and wouldnt go back. What do you mean "cross the ridge"?

kaneboats
03-25-2013, 01:12 PM
On a car body or a hull, every time there is a ridge between two planes (like the top of a fender) the paint or gelcoat will be a little thinner. On a car you can burn through in a matter of seconds. Not quite as easy to cause damage on a boat hull but you should still be careful.

BGeorge01
03-25-2013, 01:25 PM
oh gotcha! thanks

On a car body or a hull, every time there is a ridge between two planes (like the top of a fender) the paint or gelcoat will be a little thinner. On a car you can burn through in a matter of seconds. Not quite as easy to cause damage on a boat hull but you should still be careful.

tarheelskier
04-09-2013, 05:10 PM
Another question, what wax are you guys using with the orbital buffers?

beat taco
04-09-2013, 06:45 PM
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/04/10/uga7emed.jpg
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/04/10/udu9atar.jpg
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/04/10/nugaqe3u.jpg

I used meguiars forever. I learned from a friend of Barry's who had an endless supply that he shared with me. However side by side the 3m works easier and faster with less residue. Only been using it for two years but really like it for the boat.

NCSUmoomba
04-15-2013, 08:05 PM
Mequiars also makes a "Color Restorer" that fits in the lineup after the oxidation remover and the high gloss polish, that is supposed to help with the dried out faded gelcoat. It seems that the gelcoat needs to be kept "hydrated" for lack of a better word. I just did my boat with Mequiars Quick Wax, and the faded parts of my red hull are almost gone. Now I am sure they will return, but I was surprised how well that spray wax worked, and it was easy to work with too!

jzelt
04-18-2013, 01:38 PM
I apply the wax by hand, and use the random orbital to remove 90% when it dries, continuously moving and switching to clean bonnets, then go back over by hand to remove the cracks and crevices. Saves a lot of time and energy doing it this way vs 100% by hand. Not doing the restore or faded gel coat recovery that others are talking about here though.

wolfeman131
04-18-2013, 07:43 PM
This may help

http://www.boatingmag.com/videos/how-to-restore-faded-fiberglass?cmpid=enewsh041813&spPodID=030&spMailingID=17305457&spUserID=MzcwNTgwNjcwMzAS1&spJobID=214501727&spReportId=MjE0NTAxNzI3S0

freshturk
04-19-2013, 05:22 PM
suggestions on buffer use with a large decal (i have the splatter graphics)?

beat taco
04-20-2013, 10:33 AM
suggestions on buffer use with a large decal (i have the splatter graphics)?

I never had any issues with vinyl and my buffers. I buff over them to clean up streaks that the pole guides leave from trailering.