PDA

View Full Version : Wrecked Truck, Financial Mess

jpetty3023
03-19-2013, 11:53 PM
Well the outdoor bar/kitchen is done and I've really enjoyed it. A little mishap occurred during the construction thou and it involves my truck. My brick contractor had consent to back up my truck to unload the sand from the bed. I was at work on this day and received a text from him stating that he "scratched" my truck. Long story short, the kid unloaded the sand and when he pulled fwd to park my truck he ran into the pallets of brick that were on the side of the driveway. How he did this i still don't know. 1400 dollars of damage later and my truck is in the shop now being repaired. The contractor stated he will pay the deductible and we can all move on, okay fine. Here's the kicker....

The contractor has not paid the deductible to the repair shop as of last night and when I text him about it he catches a case of the arse and says he will pay half and I can pay the other half!! This dude has lost his mind. I was not in the truck, at the house, or even in the same town when he wrecked my truck. How he goes from a very sincere, apologetic,,worrisome guy to a complete douche is beyond me. My biggest mistake was paying him his money for his brick work but at the end if the day that was,the right thing to do I suppose.

Looks like now I'm going to have to file a civil suit against him and come out of pocket 500 dollars to have my truck fixed which is completely absurd to me. OH and by the way, a little warning to all my TX brothers. If you give someone consent to use your vehicle and they cause damage to it, YOU are responsible. The claim will go under your policy and in this case, an at fault incident is in my file. Been arguing back and forth with both insurance companies for a week and still can't wrap my head around this incident being my fault and going on my policy!!

Both doors and nfab step jacked. Without my truck for a week, and its spring break!
http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f287/jpetty3023/1316fb72679fb7a0b7c1ee5d851c947b.jpg

http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f287/jpetty3023/8cacee7cafd765a18b205a7cd89d35fb.jpg

sent from my ipad2 via a wireless network which usually sucks

beat taco
03-20-2013, 12:22 AM
Wow calling that a scratch is very misleading. Sounds like he has some serious accountability issues. Not much constructive to say here.

chawk610
03-20-2013, 07:17 AM
That sucks so bad. If he doesn't pay you oughta Angie's List him so hard!

wolfeman131
03-20-2013, 08:00 AM
How he goes from a very sincere, apologetic,,worrisome guy to a complete douche is beyond me.

My biggest mistake was paying him his money for his brick work

You answered your own question in the first sentence with the second one. You should have covered your deductible from his payment.

But, hindsight is always 20/20 and good folks take people at their word. Unfortunately, I've learned the hard way (such as this) that people's word today isn't worth crap. Neither is a handshake, blood bond, contract, etc. Most people simply suck when $$ is on the line.

He does realize what you do for a living, right? Maybe let a few of your patrol buddies know what's up. I'm sure his work truck may have a tailight that isn't working or maybe his crew isn't 100% "legal." Don't get mad - get more even.

rca
03-20-2013, 08:10 AM
I like the way you think Drew. It's a little scary, but I like it.

maxpower220
03-20-2013, 08:23 AM
With some experience behind me, I would pay out of pocket for that repair. Insurance companies are looking to raise rates anyway possible.

It sucks when people won't do the right thing. However, I feel that in the end, everything will work itself out for everyone.

wolfeman131
03-20-2013, 08:33 AM
With some experience behind me, I would pay out of pocket for that repair.

EXCELLENT ADVICE! Especially since you're soon to add a young, male driver to your policy.

E4NASH
03-20-2013, 08:42 AM
He does realize what you do for a living, right? Maybe let a few of your patrol buddies know what's up. I'm sure his work truck may have a tailight that isn't working or maybe his crew isn't 100% "legal." Don't get mad - get more even.

I'm with Drew on this one. I know how you cops can be...get even!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wolfeman131
03-20-2013, 08:50 AM
do better than get even.

get MORE even. :mad:

KG's Supra24
03-20-2013, 10:09 AM
All the talk about getting even is great but remember, people are NUTS. Don't turn it into an obvious battle. He knows where you live and has been around your house and family. $500 isn't worth it.

Any chance of claiming a hit and run or uninsured motorists? I had a lady back into my truck here at the office, left a note, said she would do the right thing ... once i asked for money she was gone. I filed an uninsured motorists, paid the deductible, and moved on.

... and yea, thats a little more than a scratch.

jpetty3023
03-20-2013, 10:57 AM
I have had a lot of bad thoughts and ideas running thru my head trust me. I just take a deep breath and recompose myself because at the end of the day I don't want this getting out of control. So far I have filed a complaint with the Better Business Bureau, this is step 1. Next will be Angie/Craigslist, then im gonna throw an article in the local paper. i might also rent a billboard outside the brick supply company. I might be out more than 500 when it's all over but it's about principle now so I will crush him the right way.

I tried filing as underinsured/noninsured but the kid has insurance. This is why im so upset, he has a policy but its going on mine and if he flakes out on the deductible than I have no pay it to get it out of repair shop

mmandley
03-20-2013, 11:33 AM
Hate reading all this bro, i really do.

You should just come out of pocket, even if it goes on the credit card. You will pay more then Triple this amount in increased insurance. Also if the ungodly does happen and your in a real accident, they will drop you forcing you to go high risk insurance and pay unreal amounts.

I had this happen to me when i was with my Wife 1.0. She hacked into my restored 78 Trans Am. i figured id put it on her insurance so big deal.

A year later she got a double DUI, plus a dozen citations with it. By the end of the ordeal they only hit her with a DUI on a guilty plea. My insurance payment for her when from 90 a month to 300 a month. I had to sell her car because i couldn't afford it any more.

Moral is, don't claim anything on the insurance that you have the means to pay out of pocket. Even if it sets you back 1 year.

Boonejeepin
03-20-2013, 11:41 AM
The only bad thing is that the insurance company already has a record of it.

maxpower220
03-20-2013, 11:42 AM
I know as a business owner, I had to have $1 mil liability insurance. Any chance your insurance company will pursue that route? Maybe different in each state.

Karma is a bitch, no need to take action into your own hands. Good idea calling the local "8 on your side" investigative news reporter to air on the local news.

rc5695
03-20-2013, 12:25 PM
Sorry to hear about it... It does seem weird that it goes on your auto ins. It should go on HIS BUSINESS ins.

Oh well, it is what it is now I guess. I personally don't believe in the whole "get even" thing; God is watching; he'll get his. I do believe in warning others though, and have used the BBB before to get my money back and warn others.

bergermaister
03-20-2013, 12:42 PM
Dang brother - I like the idea of showing up in uniform to "discuss" the issue with him. hehehe.

If insurance hasn't paid anything can't the claim be dropped or cancelled?

Food for thought - I did a fender bender on my brother's truck when it was parked at my house for a week. Literally just a fender scraped up and buckled, similar to what you're showing, which I had backed into. Long story short, the local body shop quoted me $900+. A shadetree mechanic painter guy who works out of his own shop was $320. He had it done in two days and never a word to insurance - or my brother either until after he had it back for a couple weeks!

wolfeman131
03-20-2013, 12:47 PM
Matthew 5:38

jpetty3023
03-20-2013, 12:48 PM
already been reported to my insurance company so there is no way to drop it at this point. my insurance company, and his agreed) that in Texas the insurance policy goes with the vehicle not the driver. this is why I am at "fault" according to usaa. she said if a car wash or valet damaged my truck after I gave them consent to drive it, the scenario would be the same

sent from my home phone

dusty2221
03-20-2013, 02:12 PM
Out of curiosity, is his auto policy a commercial or personal auto policy? Does he a have a Commercial General Liability policy for the business aside from the auto (be it pers. or com.)?

And everything you have been told is correct, in Texas when you borrow a car, you borrow insurance.

jpetty3023
03-20-2013, 02:49 PM
I know he has a personal policy with Geico as they called me and took a recorded statement. he told me he had a commercial policy for his business but I never spoke with them or even know who the company is. he stated his deductible is 1k with his commercial policy and that's why he notified geico

sent from my home phone

KG's Supra24
03-20-2013, 03:12 PM
..... and they were all like ....

http://graphics8.nytimes.com/images/2009/02/18/multimedia/4865_1_geicotrust_190x126.jpg

too soon for jokes?

jpetty3023
03-20-2013, 03:44 PM
I'd be all for a good laugh if dude hadn't flaked out on keeping his word and paying the deductible. And to make it worst this is how my truck sits smack in the middle of spring break and 80 degree weather!!

http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f287/jpetty3023/03C3B1FC-40F8-42D4-890E-A4D3E96A56FE-25186-000008D4EDC82435.jpg

http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f287/jpetty3023/A5597DA4-F621-4D64-BE91-72E7EF13EA84-25186-000008D4E870492A.jpg

http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f287/jpetty3023/718FB3D4-C564-45E9-B708-0684CA29D91C-25186-000008D4E50F7BB7.jpg

Boatdrinks797
03-20-2013, 03:54 PM
I'm always one to offer up my 'stuff' for others to use as well...Good reminder of why not to.

kaneboats
03-25-2013, 10:16 AM
His commercial general policy likely has an auto exclusion. His commercial auto policy, if he has one, usually says it is excess for a nonowned auto. This is a risk you took when you let him (his guy) drive your truck. But, he agreed to do right by you and his guy caused the damage. I'd send him a letter saying he has 7 days to pay the deductible or you will be pursuing him for the full amount (the insurer would be entitled to reimbursement of what they paid out after you subtract your deductible and the costs of recovering their money).