PDA

View Full Version : Yearly service?

mobius maximus
03-18-2013, 01:44 PM
Ive been searching through all the threads and cant seem to find any about typical yearly servicing. This is the first time I'm having to de-winterize my boat since I bought it. Just trying to find out what i should replace/service as far as typical yearly servicing goes. Fairly new to the boating/ moomba scene. Thanks.

E4NASH
03-18-2013, 01:49 PM
Oil and filter change if you didn't do it at winterization and replace your impeller...should be pretty much turn key after that I think. If I missed anything I'm sure someone will chime in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mcdye
03-18-2013, 03:56 PM
Most change Transmission and Vdrive fuild yearly.

You can download a manual if you dont have one.. http://www.moomba.com/downloads/

maxpower220
03-18-2013, 04:05 PM
The owner's manual will have some clear guidance. If you did not winterize it, remember to hook up all of the hoses that were disconnected. Most of your fluids should have been done at winterization, but if not, do them now. Replacement of items is generally done on need/hours.

Don't overlook maintenance on your trailer.

DOCDRS
03-18-2013, 06:08 PM
Oil n filter every 50 hours or in the fall (every 25 hours if all you do is sacked out surfing). Transmission ,v-drive, fuel filter,impeller,spark plugs every 100hours. This is in a perfect world. All fluids should be checked regularly is probably on of the most important items as it will tell you problems by colour or level change. Spark plugs will most like last 200 hours or more , an impeller with a water strainer will easily last 3-4 seasons. Tranny and vdrive fluids will probably last 3-4 seasons as well. Of course all this depends on the type of usage and frequent monitoring.
You have an 02 so I would change everything so you know it's all new. I wouldn't trust what the previous owner said or even the dealer unless you know them closely. I know I will get flack for some of the above but I know the interval on some of these items by some people aren't even how frequently they check them. If your a DIY , once you've done the procedures you'll do them regularly. I suggest keeping a log of service then you'll know when the last time you changed your tranny fluid. .02

beat taco
03-18-2013, 07:06 PM
Check the engine alignment and transmission/vdrive mount bushings. I do 50hr engine oil, 100hr vdrive and Trans, 100hr fuel filter, clean my K&N air filter every 100hrs., 100hr impeller, and hit the rudder with lube every 100hrs. (should see a cable with zirk fitting laying on hull under engine in the stern.
100 hours is an average year for me so basically I do all the 100hr stuff once a year. I also check for lose screws and bolts, particularly on hinges and the swim platform.
And build one of these:
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/03/19/a3ahaza2.jpg

mobius maximus
03-19-2013, 09:27 AM
Thanks alot for the input guys.

Beat Taco- what exactly is that?

beat taco
03-19-2013, 10:35 AM
A fluid changing cart I made last fall. Pump, battery, bucket to catch the old fluid. Really makes extracting old fluid easy. I used air tool fittings to make different ends I can attach to it.
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/03/19/eqyturyv.jpg
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/03/19/ryjajygu.jpg

mobius maximus
03-19-2013, 02:03 PM
Yea that looks pretty awesome. Im deff going to have to take a look into that one man. That thing looks pretty awesome

wakeboy
03-19-2013, 07:04 PM
Do I need to drain the prestone i put in the hose and engine last year when I did my winterization before running the boat this summer?

mmandley
03-19-2013, 08:45 PM
Do I need to drain the prestone i put in the hose and engine last year when I did my winterization before running the boat this summer?

No when you put the boat in the water and start it, it will flush out.

wakeboy
03-19-2013, 09:08 PM

thank you ;)

wolfeman131
03-19-2013, 11:04 PM

Regular automotive antifreeze such as Prestone contains toxins and you'll be putting those right into your lake. Maybe/probably not a big deal unless your in an Army Corps lake and an officer is within sight or if you give a crap about the environment.

If you use RV antifreeze next fall/winter, it's environmentally safe and you can drop it right in, but it's probably better to crank it up for about 10 sec with a container under the exhaust ports and dispose of it properly. A lot of oil change places will take your used fluids.

rdlangston13
03-20-2013, 03:40 PM
I have looked for this zirk fitting on my steering cable and have found nothing...

Sent from my iPhone

beat taco
03-21-2013, 10:39 AM
I have looked for this zirk fitting on my steering cable and have found nothing...

Sent from my iPhone

At some point the design was changed at it is no longer required to lube it. Funny thing is the older manuals (I only looked up to 04) say to lube it but never show what it is or how to do it. Then I looked in a 2012 manual and there's no mention of lube-ing it at all. So I can only assume its been changed.
I never knew about it until my 91's steering was extremely stiff one year when I took it out for the first run of the season, that boat had the zerk right on top of the rudder in the hull.

Riding23
03-25-2013, 12:13 PM
Ive been searching through all the threads and cant seem to find any about typical yearly servicing. This is the first time I'm having to de-winterize my boat since I bought it. Just trying to find out what i should replace/service as far as typical yearly servicing goes. Fairly new to the boating/ moomba scene. Thanks.

Wondering this myself, just had the "gold Service" done in late November- all fluids changed, oil changed, impeller changed out.. Last year I had the oil changed again and services done again before I took it out here in March... But thinking that may be quite a waste of money, is it really needed before I take it out?

wolfeman131
03-25-2013, 03:44 PM
If you haven't run the boat since November, then you don't need to have all the fluids changed again to start the season.

parrothd
03-25-2013, 07:56 PM
I have this..

http://m.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_11151_10001_313820_-1?cid=chanintel_google&ci_src=14110944&ci_sku=313820

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2