PDA

View Full Version : Relocating batteries & Mounting amps

redmondson
03-07-2013, 09:18 PM
I have an 06 Moomba LSV and I'm looking to relocate my batteries and mount my amps for a cleaner look.
Any suggestions?

mmandley
03-07-2013, 10:22 PM
Depends on your current situation. Where are the batteries and amps now? Also what type of batteries are you using?

redmondson
03-07-2013, 10:25 PM
My batteries & amps are currently located in the cubby. I'm also buying two new batteries this spring.

mmandley
03-08-2013, 09:53 AM
Your best bet is going to be where they are. Most people build an amp rack and mount it to the side of the hull, using the rail at the floor, and the back side of the rub rail. You can screw into these but only about 1/2 inch.

Batteries, if they are traditional Wet cell, then you have to leave them upright, this leaves you in the cubby, or under the drivers helm.

If you get Gel style batteries that can be laid on there side then you can move the batteries into a storage compartment, or in the bow, or drivers helm, you will just need to extend your power and ground wires.

EarmarkMarine
03-08-2013, 11:26 AM
Just to clarify, Gel and AGM batteries are often confused.
One key to a clean and seviceable amplifier panel is to have plenty of extra real estate for distribution, wire raceways and strain reliefs/tie-downs.
The hull surface of that year probably will not give you direct mounting provisions, but once you resolve that you will have a very spacious panel for multiple amplifiers, possibly a battery charger, and all the necessities. The ability to service and tune will be a breeze.
There really are not many good alternatives for mounting batteries beyond the sole of the observer's locker. You can usually move the batteries forward to give more storage room. Just make sure that the battery switch is positioned just inside the locker opening for convenience. Every wire/cable feed can be easily extended. But you may want to look over the length and access of the heavy B+ and ground coming from the engine in advance before planning a relocation.

David

brain_rinse
03-08-2013, 12:51 PM
Here is a link that shows my setup: https://forum.moomba.com/showthread.php?8354-my-08-LSV-mods&p=96619#post96619

mmandley
03-08-2013, 01:39 PM
Here is a link that shows my setup: https://forum.moomba.com/showthread.php?8354-my-08-LSV-mods&p=96619#post96619

He will benifit more from an OB owner posting pictures because the 05 LSV is what became the OBV and the all new LSV was released in 06 which is wider and deeper.

brain_rinse
03-08-2013, 01:48 PM
He will benifit more from an OB owner posting pictures because the 05 LSV is what became the OBV and the all new LSV was released in 06 which is wider and deeper.
His post says 06, sig says 05. Either way it will give him a picture to look at and maybe some ideas. Did you skip breakfast this morning or what? :)

rdlangston13
03-08-2013, 03:22 PM
Your best bet is going to be where they are. Most people build an amp rack and mount it to the side of the hull, using the rail at the floor, and the back side of the rub rail. You can screw into these but only about 1/2 inch.

Batteries, if they are traditional Wet cell, then you have to leave them upright, this leaves you in the cubby, or under the drivers helm.

If you get Gel style batteries that can be laid on there side then you can move the batteries into a storage compartment, or in the bow, or drivers helm, you will just need to extend your power and ground wires.

Now you got me thinking of moving one of my group 29s to the driver side....

rdlangston13
03-08-2013, 03:23 PM
Just to clarify, Gel and AGM batteries are often confused.
One key to a clean and seviceable amplifier panel is to have plenty of extra real estate for distribution, wire raceways and strain reliefs/tie-downs.
The hull surface of that year probably will not give you direct mounting provisions, but once you resolve that you will have a very spacious panel for multiple amplifiers, possibly a battery charger, and all the necessities. The ability to service and tune will be a breeze.
There really are not many good alternatives for mounting batteries beyond the sole of the observer's locker. You can usually move the batteries forward to give more storage room. Just make sure that the battery switch is positioned just inside the locker opening for convenience. Every wire/cable feed can be easily extended. But you may want to look over the length and access of the heavy B+ and ground coming from the engine in advance before planning a relocation.

David

David, any reason I can't extend the wires on my prosport 20 if i were to move a battery to the other side of the boat?

EarmarkMarine
03-08-2013, 03:24 PM

I can do one half that good.

brain_rinse
03-08-2013, 03:29 PM
I can do one half that good.

I don't get it???

EarmarkMarine
03-08-2013, 03:33 PM
David, any reason I can't extend the wires on my prosport 20 if i were to move a battery to the other side of the boat?

ProSport says definitely 'NOT' in their manual. However, that is mostly for reasons of liability and not for any functional reason. I wouldn't have any issue with extending the wires to a smaller degree if you used the identical guage. But for a longer extension to the opposite side of the boat, personally I would re-locate the charger....because I do not know at what point the added resistance would influence the profiling of the dual batteries. If you have cut-in an AC inlet, I wouldn't hesitate to extend the 14/3 AC wire to anywhere in a towboat.

David

EarmarkMarine
03-08-2013, 03:39 PM
I don't get it???

It's making fun of one-upmanship. Get it now? It's actually a compliment with a bit of humor....but apparently a very small bit of humor....almost so small that it is completely undetectable.

rdlangston13
03-08-2013, 03:40 PM
ProSport says definitely 'NOT' in their manual. However, that is mostly for reasons of liability and not for any functional reason. I wouldn't have any issue with extending the wires to a smaller degree if you used the identical guage. But for a longer extension to the opposite side of the boat, personally I would re-locate the charger....because I do not know at what point the added resistance would influence the profiling of the dual batteries. If you have cut-in an AC inlet, I wouldn't hesitate to extend the 14/3 AC wire to anywhere in a towboat.

David

Well I don't want to relocate the charge because I don't want to move all of the batteries over, just one or two. Probably Just one

cab13367
03-08-2013, 03:41 PM
Here's a link to mine, same boat as yours. I run three batteries and put the third one under the port bow seat. Everything is mounted forward of the fresh air bulkhead in order to maximize storage space in the cubby.

https://forum.moomba.com/showthread.php?14790-Another-Stereo-Makeover&highlight=stereo+makeover

http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg276/cab13367/Boat%20Pics/3rd%20battery/IMG_25922.jpg

brain_rinse
03-08-2013, 03:48 PM
It's making fun of one-upmanship. Get it now? It's actually a compliment with a bit of humor....but apparently a very small bit of humor....almost so small that it is completely undetectable.
Ha ha, well the first post may have gone over my head but this one made up for it. I always laugh loudest at my own jokes.

rdlangston13
03-08-2013, 03:59 PM
Here's a link to mine, same boat as yours. I run three batteries and put the third one under the port bow seat. Everything is mounted forward of the fresh air bulkhead in order to maximize storage space in the cubby.

https://forum.moomba.com/showthread.php?14790-Another-Stereo-Makeover&highlight=stereo+makeover

http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg276/cab13367/Boat%20Pics/3rd%20battery/IMG_25922.jpg

I am trying eliminate that whole factory amp board on the port bow seat back. here is what i have now and it is a mess IMO

http://i1130.photobucket.com/albums/m523/rdlangston13/FCB8D877-C62E-4283-BC90-25D597ED9821-863-000000AA1C7647B7_zpsdc974c00.jpg

rdlangston13
03-08-2013, 04:04 PM

did you trim the seat back amp board to give you more room?

EarmarkMarine
03-08-2013, 04:19 PM
David,
I prefer the charger on the front wall because you never have to mess with it, and if you do, it's four screws and a couple of quick disconnects, but nothing to adjust.
Then I prefer the amplifiers lined up against the port hull. Easier to tune or access for diagnostics and service.
Quality heavy gauge cable is very expensive for that amount of current without loss and for that distance. Also, you wouldn't want to double the length of the starter/alternator feed without stepping up the gauge. So in any scenario applied to this boat, I just don't feel good about splitting up the batteries.

David

E4NASH
03-08-2013, 05:43 PM
Not to hijack but when is it recommended to go with 3 batteries over 2? I have two now but was thinking of adding another and getting a Prosport20 plus charger. Also, when should someone think up upgrading the alternator?

Right now I have two amps and probably by the end of the summer I will have three. Two Syn4s and a syn2 if I add another set of tower speakers in the future it would be another Syn4 for a future total of 4.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MLA
03-08-2013, 05:51 PM
E4,

Its all about play time will anchored, and thats all. How many Ah (amp hours) will be determined by the approximate current draw of your system at a given volume level x how long you want to play on the water with the engine off. This will then be divided by what size batteries you go with.

if someone never plays while anchored, then they only need a single battery for the all duties. if they want to spend some time playing while anchored, then a dual battery setup is recommend. For those that want to spend an entire weekend jammin while anchored, then it will be a sizable bank with a lot of large batteries.

cab13367
03-08-2013, 06:05 PM
I am trying eliminate that whole factory amp board on the port bow seat back. here is what i have now and it is a mess IMO

David,

My 2006 did not have an amp board.

Al

rdlangston13
03-08-2013, 06:22 PM
David,
I prefer the charger on the front wall because you never have to mess with it, and if you do, it's four screws and a couple of quick disconnects, but nothing to adjust.
Then I prefer the amplifiers lined up against the port hull. Easier to tune or access for diagnostics and service.
Quality heavy gauge cable is very expensive for that amount of current without loss and for that distance. Also, you wouldn't want to double the length of the starter/alternator feed without stepping up the gauge. So in any scenario applied to this boat, I just don't feel good about splitting up the batteries.

David

Well what I was thinking was just moving one of the stereo batteries and running a 0 gauge power and ground and the prosport wires around under the bow seats to tie to the other stereo battery. I would leave the starting battery as is

Sent from my iPhone

EarmarkMarine
03-08-2013, 06:28 PM
Not to hijack but when is it recommended to go with 3 batteries over 2? I have two now but was thinking of adding another and getting a Prosport20 plus charger. Also, when should someone think up upgrading the alternator?

Right now I have two amps and probably by the end of the summer I will have three. Two Syn4s and a syn2 if I add another set of tower speakers in the future it would be another Syn4 for a future total of 4.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rarely do you need an alternator upgrade if your charging system is otherwise well planned. If you had an inordinately large system, routinely used your boat long weekends camping at a remote destination without over night access to AC power, then a big alternator could be an essential upgrade.
Your stereo battery bank should be large enough that your typical playtime at rest does not deplete the deep cycle batteries below 50% (12.0 volts). So you will know by simply measuring the voltage after a long period playing at rest. Then the battery charger size and capacity is matched to the size of the collective battery reserves. For example, if you had three group 29s for the stereo plus a single group 24 for starting, then a 30 amp charger is a bit undersized while a 40 amp charger is max. A ProSport 20 would be perfect for three total group 24s.

David

rdlangston13
03-08-2013, 06:30 PM
David,

My 2006 did not have an amp board.

Al

So you build that spot where your charger is mounted?

Sent from my iPhone

EarmarkMarine
03-08-2013, 06:38 PM
Well what I was thinking was just moving one of the stereo batteries and running a 0 gauge power and ground and the prosport wires around under the bow seats to tie to the other stereo battery. I would leave the starting battery as is

Sent from my iPhone

That would be okay if you just had one stereo battery. But I wouldn't split up two identical stereo batteries by much distance if I could avoid it in an ideal world. Look, there are conflicts with any charging system that has two banks that are used differently off one alternator. So I am not going to state that it is a prefect scenario now. However, if I had dual stereo batteries, then I would prefer to have two identical batteries in age, size and chemistry....and that would include equal cable size, distance and resistance. Just a base foundation to follow, and not something that is an absolute if you have a good reason to do otherwise.

David

cab13367
03-08-2013, 06:49 PM
So you build that spot where your charger is mounted?
Sent from my iPhone

No, that is just the back side of the bow seatback - it was like that from the factory. You might consider putting your 3rd battery under the bow seat and then sliding your other two batteries forward like I did mine. See pic below.

http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg276/cab13367/Boat%20Pics/3rd%20battery/IMG_2585.jpg

newty
03-08-2013, 11:55 PM
Here's mine... 1 starting behind the observers seat, 2 in the bow in front of the hump. Note: I had to relocate my heater but totally worth the space. For reference these are all group 31 agm's.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk 2

rdlangston13
03-09-2013, 02:06 PM
I like that set up. I just feel like all that space from the hump to the IBS is going to waste! Need to stick something in there and batteries would free up space behind the observer seat for items you actually need to access often

Sent from my iPhone

rdlangston13
03-09-2013, 02:08 PM
So David, I guess me overall question is what is the worst that can happen by relocating one or both stereo batteries to the other side of the boat?

Sent from my iPhone

EarmarkMarine
03-10-2013, 12:29 PM
So David, I guess me overall question is what is the worst that can happen by relocating one or both stereo batteries to the other side of the boat?

Sent from my iPhone
Certainly nothing catastrophic will happen. And it's impossible to numerically qualify exactly what would be compromised in the way of performance or longevity. Doubling your cable distance adds resistance and that is counter-productive at every level. You can offset the cable distance with a larger gauge cable. That alone makes it an inefficient move from a standpoint of cost-effectiveness. Real copper heavy gauge cables are brutally expensive unless you are using junk wire on the cheap with reduced copper content at half the weight. While it may be a fraction of the cost, it is also a multiple of the resistance.
I would not separate two batteries on the same bank by any distance since the ideal scenario is matched batteries in every aspect. I would want them to start out identical and age identically. I would place the charger closest to the deeply cycled bank. If I had an inequity I would place it between the two banks but not between two batteries of the same bank.

David

E4NASH
03-12-2013, 12:52 PM
Which model Promariner Charger is most comonly being used by you guys, 12, 20, or 20 plus?

beat taco
03-12-2013, 01:08 PM
I got the 20 plus. I'm glad too because I think I am adding a second house battery.

wolfeman131
03-12-2013, 01:08 PM
I think the 20 is what comes from the factory

E4NASH
03-12-2013, 01:55 PM
Thank you very much. One of these is on my list...

beat taco
03-13-2013, 12:00 AM
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/03/13/e6a6u2az.jpg

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/03/13/2u8azemu.jpg

beat taco
03-13-2013, 12:01 AM
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/03/13/y8e7ady5.jpg

beat taco
03-13-2013, 10:35 AM
Just pulled them from the boat. I only plugged the charger in a couple of times over the last five months. Thought I would check their condition. Looks like I can leave them in year round with no worries.

EarmarkMarine
03-13-2013, 12:04 PM
The self-discharge on AGMs is less than on a flooded battery, which is several percent per month. And AGMs rest at about a volt higher to start with. Barely more than a half volt drop over two months is very good.
When checking a battery, make sure to let the charging voltage, whether from an alternator or shore charger, completely dissipate for a true reading.
Having an isolating battery switch helps eliminate any potential for a parasitic drain. And make sure to get the HU memory off line while in long term storage.
With a big audio system and a large battery bank, you still need an AC shore charger for full restoration after a weekend outting. An alternator alone usually won't get it done, especially if you spend any time at rest.

David