PDA

View Full Version : Boat house building tips?

04OUTBACK
03-01-2013, 06:19 PM
WELL, I finally bought a lot on a lake! Time to get rolling on building a boathouse to store my boat in ASAP.

Of you who have or have had a boat house, Can you make any recommendations of things you wish you had done, or hadnt done... Any little things that you would do over..

the base design is going to be approximately 21' Wide x 30' long....

Is a hanging lift best option or have some tried the floating lifts that fill pontoons with water to sink/empty to raise..?

What else?

KG's Supra24
03-01-2013, 06:27 PM
Congrats!! I bet you are pumped.

I've only had experience with floating lifts and never had any issues. I would imagine your lake and dock will dictate the type of lift but I could be wrong. Is it going to be a floating dock?

I've recently given some thought to the topic and things that came to my mind were ...

How will the lift mount? Floating is typically from the front so you can make the width whatever size you needed? With a wide slip you wouldn't have to fold in board racks. That would be huge!

I was thinking the same thing on length, I think 30 ft is a good number.

Consider going ahead and running electrical outlets and lighting.

Obviously have the roof high enough you can raise the boat without having to fold the tower. Also on the roof, I was thinking have overhang if possible to help shade the boat as well as keep rain off of it when it's windy?

My father in law always likes to tell me what the water temp is from his gauge on the dock.

And I think there is some sort of requirement to have a fake owl in there somewhere.

rdlangston13
03-01-2013, 09:34 PM
Awesome brad! Water depth also dictates what kind of lift you can go with. I think the floating style requires deeper water. What lake are you on??

Sent from my iPhone

jpetty3023
03-01-2013, 11:36 PM
congrats!! bet your gonna have it all set up in no time

sent from my home phone

04OUTBACK
03-02-2013, 05:19 AM
David
It's on big bay lake outside Hattiesburg ms. 1000 ac private lake.
Keep the tips coming.
It's a deep spot but not completely sure of total depth. Hanging lift will most likely be best.

kaneboats
03-02-2013, 12:23 PM
Congrats, Brad! Sounds like a lot of fun. Let me know if you need help with the barn raising and we'll get some guys up there.

bzubke1
03-02-2013, 01:21 PM
Congrats Brad!

rdlangston13
03-02-2013, 10:25 PM
Good choice not buying in LA! I have a buddy who used to live on a small lake in Quitman, MS. I would love to live on the water full time! I need a raise!

Sent from my iPhone

Boatdrinks797
03-03-2013, 12:28 AM
Boat houses are not used much up in my region, and the only reason I can think of is because the ice action in the spring would tear them apart. The one's I have seen that I really like were set back on the beach and have tracks running into the water and the boat runs on a cradle and winched up/down on the tracks and protects you from water level fluctuations. The really trick ones have a loft above with a useable living space and are plumbed and wired and could double as a guest cabin. The other option would be to put a flat roof on it and use it as deck area.

What we call a 'boat house' up in the northy is basically a shed near the water that you stash all of your gear and junk in.

04OUTBACK
03-03-2013, 12:31 PM
I would love to live there too. It's 2:15 from work.
I'm gonna keep renting in LA and have this for weekends.
Ill downsize my rental here when I start building.

The boat house will be fully enclosed.

rdlangston13
03-03-2013, 12:59 PM
Now that's a retirement property!

Sent from my iPhone

patrick232
03-04-2013, 01:03 PM
We make the covers for Boat Hoist USA. They sell to many different dealers and even have plans for docks and boat houses I think. Here is their link http://www.boathoistusastore.com/

brenpire
03-04-2013, 03:56 PM
Good thread Brad. What height does the roof/ceiling need to be in order to lift the boat with the tower up?

c.rix
03-04-2013, 07:07 PM
for me the garage is the deal maker I can live with smallish living quarters but I would build the biggest garage possible if it has to be a 2 car I would do 24ft wide 30ft deep with 12ft ceiling and 8ft high door as a minimun that way you could get your boat in and have room around it and flip the tower too 8 foot door insures if you upgrade you shouldn't have a issue

04OUTBACK
03-04-2013, 08:36 PM
On trailer it's 11'6" from floor to top of tower. I'm gonna plan on 12'6" min above water to underside of lift. That should be plenty as trailer has plenty clearance.

There will be no garage. Stage 1 is dock and enclosed boatlift with deck above.

Upstairs will be about 21x30 deck
I will have a storage room and prob a bathroom.

jmvotto
03-04-2013, 11:01 PM
Brad, congrats, that's Awesome . Look forward to seeing the progress.

04OUTBACK
03-19-2013, 08:32 AM
Anyone have recommendations on hanging lifts?

Any recommended styles or brands? I assume a cradle in water hanging in cables?

tarheelskier
03-19-2013, 10:53 AM
Check out doozie boat lifts www.itsadoozie.com. Made locally on our (adopted) home lake, this company is family owned by Adam Field's parents. Good products and good personal service.

wolfeman131
03-19-2013, 12:07 PM
http://www.lunmar.com/

hiflyr
03-20-2013, 08:49 PM
I have a on ground boat house with a marine railway. In my honest opinion no better way to keep your boat stored high and dry no moisture at all.