PDA

View Full Version : Wakesurf with an Outback??

Sampp1963
02-28-2013, 07:55 PM
Anyone of you guys are doing some wakesurfing with a Outback ? (not outback v). I have a 700 pounds fat sack, and doesn't seems to be enought...I don't know where to put it in the boat ?

So I need you advices.thanks !

muehlcj
02-28-2013, 09:42 PM
Anyone of you guys are doing some wakesurfing with a Outback ? (not outback v). I have a 700 pounds fat sack, and doesn't seems to be enought...I don't know where to put it in the boat ?

So I need you advices.thanks !

750 on port side of engine, 750 under rear seat (seat in the upper position), 400 lbs up front & (3) people aprox. 400lbs
http://vimeo.com/47978257

maxpower220
03-01-2013, 09:17 AM
The "original" wakesurfer on this forum used his outback for a few years to surf. I believe he had 1000 in the back, 750 on the side, plus coolers and people. Be prepared for your rubrail to be a few inches above the water line in order to have a proper surf wake on that boat.

wolfeman131
03-01-2013, 10:26 AM
Probably going to have rubrail IN the water. :)

kaneboats
03-01-2013, 11:29 AM
You may find some good tips in this thread:

https://forum.moomba.com/showthread.php?11989-Outback-DD-Balast-Set-Up&highlight=wakesurf+outback

moombadaze
03-01-2013, 01:46 PM
I was in the "originals" outback surfing one time, at rest the rear corner rub rail was at water level. When surfing water would actually come up and over the top of the little ski locker in the rear.

viking
03-01-2013, 02:34 PM
700 rear seat sac, 400 along side of doghouse, and 2-400lbs of peeps with 1/2 of them weighted to surf side, or a 300lb bag up in the bow walk way if not enough human weight. rub rail inches above water as stated.
Be very alert as you'll more than likely take a roller over the bow at some point :)

Sampp1963
03-13-2013, 09:18 PM
Ok, tanks all..... I think I Will go easy and add à new 700 pounds...And if I dont sink the boat, I Will add more!!

LakePerson1952
03-25-2013, 11:57 PM
I have an Outback too and I've been talking to my Moomba dealer about outfitting it for surfing. He was on the pro wakeboard circuit at one time. He believes I can get a wave sufficient for beginning to intermediate surfers simply by replacing the bag under the rear bench seat with a larger bag. I don't remember the size but it seems that maybe it was double the volume of the stock bag but with the same footprint. He didn't say anything about me needing to run with my rub-rails in the water so maybe I need to discuss it further with him - LOL

moombadaze
03-26-2013, 08:19 AM
Richard, adding a bag to just the rear will creat a very very short shallow wave, really need to add some weight to the side you want to surf to help creat some lenght to the wave. when both bags are full the boat will be leaning over twords your surf side. you want the boat sitting heavy, usually more displacement = better wave. Since the outback is a shallow boat that weight will make it sit real low with the rear corner rub rail just about water level, maybe start with filling both bags 1/2 full and work up to full so you can get a feel for how the boat handles and you can get used to it being so low, it freaks some people out to see a outback that low. Be carefull.

maxpower220
03-26-2013, 08:31 AM
I have a 700lb bag on my 08 Outback. It helps, but you will not have a "surfable" wake without that and 6 people and coolers in the boat. Obviously, you can always surf with the handle.

At the slow speeds, my wake plate doesn't seem to make much difference in position. It takes a lot of people or bags to surf an Outback properly. It's nothing like being in a LSV

LakePerson1952
03-28-2013, 09:59 AM
Richard, adding a bag to just the rear will creat a very very short shallow wave, really need to add some weight to the side you want to surf to help creat some lenght to the wave. when both bags are full the boat will be leaning over twords your surf side. you want the boat sitting heavy, usually more displacement = better wave. Since the outback is a shallow boat that weight will make it sit real low with the rear corner rub rail just about water level, maybe start with filling both bags 1/2 full and work up to full so you can get a feel for how the boat handles and you can get used to it being so low, it freaks some people out to see a outback that low. Be carefull.

Thanks for the tip MoombaDaze. I will definitely proceed slowly and carefully if I need to have my pride and joy ride that low in the water. And then there is the problem of me trusting her to another pilot when I surf. Sheesh!

New Guy
03-28-2013, 01:34 PM
Here we are surfing my 02 lsv (goofy) I am running 750 in the rear wakeplate down to lengthen the pocket running about 10.5mph. The rub rail is touching the water and water actually flows over the rear corner when surfing. You better have a good driver lol.

http://youtu.be/JyAtZ5rYd_0

New Guy
03-28-2013, 01:35 PM
here is a crappy cell phone video

http://youtu.be/aENOya65VTY