PDA

View Full Version : Fake a lake question

Gabbyg88
02-25-2013, 01:16 PM
I want to make my own fake a lake that I can connect the garden hose directly into the raw water pump inlet on my 07 OBV. This the first tournament ski boat we owned and I am still learning a lot on the maintenance side of things. Thanks to everyone on here, I have learned a lot already. I got the idea from other post on here but I was hoping someone could post some pictures of what it looks like, so I have an idea what I need to build. Or is it better to just buy a fake a lake from Overtons that just is support under the boat? My fear is it falling off. I guess my other question is when I am getting the boat ready in spring and I hook up the hose can I throttle it to make sure the trans is working without doing damage. I know I can't run it at full throttle, but I just to make sure everything is working before I get on the lake for the first time. Our last boat was an outboard that I just connected the muffs to the outboard, I want to make sure I am doing right thing, so I don't anything stupid :confused:.
Thank you,
Mike

kaneboats
02-25-2013, 01:22 PM
Try this and good luck:

https://forum.moomba.com/showthread.php?7449-DIY-fake-a-lake&highlight=plunger

brain_rinse
02-25-2013, 01:32 PM
Another option is to hook directly to the vdrive inlet with this:
https://forum.moomba.com/showthread.php?8354-my-08-LSV-mods&p=67413#post67413

maxpower220
02-25-2013, 05:02 PM
The fake a lake that I have has an adjustable hook on the inside of the plunger portion that hooks onto the inlet screen on the boat. There is no support under the cup. A better way is to splice inline with a fresh water flush kit. Garden hose connects directly to it and it is less labor intensive.

You are only suppose to run at idle, a quick rev probably won't hurt. I wouldn't do it for more than a second or two.

NCSUmoomba
02-25-2013, 05:47 PM
I don't think the fake-a-lakes are that expensive, and they work fine. I have had mine fall over, so it needs an eye kept on it. If it does fall over, once the engine runs out of water, the exhaust note changes, so there is an audible warning.

chawk610
02-26-2013, 11:18 AM
All I do is take the inlet hose and clamp it to the inside of a cooler... keep a hose in the cooler filling it, but I have a DD. Not sure about the room for a cooler on a V-Drive.

Gabbyg88
02-26-2013, 12:44 PM
It sounds like I have options... I have also done more research on this topic on other forums and I saw where a few people have issue with the garden hose collapsing. The cooler idea would solve that issue. I also saw the “Perko Flush Pro” on Overtons, but not sure that is worth spending $100, as I could do the same thing with a few fittings and a ball valve for a ¼ of the cost.

kaneboats
02-26-2013, 12:45 PM
I wedge a 2" x 6" under the handle end to keep it jammed up tight to the hull. Then again. I've only ever run the engine on it once.

moombadaze
02-26-2013, 04:12 PM
got store bought fake a lake-handle feels spring loaded to hold it tight against the hull--used it a couple times to run the motor to warm the oil up to change it, no issues with it.

didnt pay for it as I had points on a credit card, still think it would be worth it

Boatdrinks797
02-26-2013, 04:51 PM
I ordered mine online a couple years ago and it has a telescoping leg that you can lock in place once you determine the length you want to set it at. I don't think it was more than $25.

zabooda
02-27-2013, 04:49 PM
Home made one here. Plunger with a hose connection using brass fittings from Lowes or Home Depot. Level your boat, cut the plunger handle where the plunger will be partially compressed against the hull and turn the water on about 1/3 open. The water will pour out around the plunger until the engine starts and then you should she a small steam of water coming out of the plunger. In a minute you should see water coming out the exhaust.

yz 2smoke
02-27-2013, 05:47 PM
I use the inlet of the vdrive. I bought a clear hose the same size as the inlet hose. I disconnect the inlet hose @ the vdrive and connect my new hose and use the existing hose clamp; put it in a cooler, turn on the water hose and you’re done. When the boat is warm I get my son to turn off the water hose and I just watch the cooler until it is almost empty then I cut the boat off. It makes picking up the cooler much easier when it is almost empty. I paid 5-10 bucks for the hose.