PDA

View Full Version : GoPro

jmb
02-24-2013, 10:19 PM
Boke down and bought the GoPro Hero 3 Silver yesterday. Bought the roll bar mount and got it installed on the tower. Can't wait to get out and really try it.

EricU
02-25-2013, 01:40 PM
Boke down and bought the GoPro Hero 3 Silver yesterday. Bought the roll bar mount and got it installed on the tower. Can't wait to get out and really try it.

Did they change the fisheye lens on the 3?

I bought the Hero2 last year and was dissapointed with the fisheye lens. Had it on the tower first, then moved it to the rear grab bar.

I am looking to get another video recorder, maybe one of the new waterproof JVCs, but may just get a regular (non-waterproof) recorder with a good lens for the tower and use the Hero2 mounted directly to the boards or the kid's helmets.

jmb
02-25-2013, 04:12 PM
Yes, it still looks like the fish eye lens, IMO. I will just have to see how it does. I definitely like it waterproof.

motosno963
02-25-2013, 05:20 PM
i had mine on my tower and i liked it.. rider was a tad far out but not bad..i wish i could upload one of my cash pics from it..looks bad because i was using the original gopro

viking
02-25-2013, 05:23 PM
nice....have fun with it. report back if you will as that is the version I am planning on grabbing one of these days!

jmb
02-25-2013, 08:14 PM
I hope to use it soon but this weekend is going to be in the 40's. I am hoping to be able to wetsuit out this month and then try it. I want to use it for looking at my turns skiing and boarding.

hans
02-25-2013, 08:56 PM
Some people says that the hero 3 freeze often and you have to remove the battery.....

rdlangston13
02-27-2013, 10:18 PM
The fish eye lense on the 3 is not as drastic as the 2 so the 3 has much less distortion

Sent from my iPhone

sicktc06
02-28-2013, 09:50 AM
Looking forward to seeing the pics!! I love my Silver!!

Some people says that the hero 3 freeze often and you have to remove the battery.....

I have heard of this happening with the Black edition. My Silver has not frozen yet.

jmb
02-28-2013, 10:32 AM
I just really haven't gotten to use it much yet. What I have videoed so far looks pretty good to me, I have the silver also so hope it wont freeze up. I know I am going to freeze up when I get in that water here shortly.

deepcove
03-02-2013, 03:57 AM

Gopro's are great but you will be disapointed with a gopro mounted on your tower.......there is no zoom and 60+ feet is a long way back.

E4NASH
03-02-2013, 09:58 AM
Is the Black edition really worth the $100 more? I'm going to buy a GoPro here soon but I'm not sure which one to get...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jmb
03-02-2013, 10:54 AM
If you need to get the WiFi remote, you may as well go with the black. It comes with it. It does not with the others. If you have a smart phone you can control it with that and then you don't need the remote. I have the Silver and it looks good to me. WiFi remote is $80.00.

rdlangston13
03-02-2013, 10:35 PM
Black has a much higher frame rate, like double that of the next model down. This will make slow motion shots much smoother and clearer.

Sent from my iPhone

rdlangston13
03-02-2013, 10:37 PM
If you need to get the WiFi remote, you may as well go with the black. It comes with it. It does not with the others. If you have a smart phone you can control it with that and then you don't need the remote. I have the Silver and it looks good to me. WiFi remote is $80.00.

Good thing about the remote is you can attach it to you life vest if you wanted to board with the camera mounted on the board oe your head. This way you can control it easy. I wouldn't want to take my smart phone in the water with me

Sent from my iPhone

jmb
03-03-2013, 10:41 AM
What is the best way to mount the Goro on the wakeboard and ski? Not sure which way to do this.

rdlangston13
03-03-2013, 01:01 PM
They sell a mount that screws to a wake board using the fin screws on the board and its rigid so the camera won't move if you land hard. Or you can use the adhesive style mounts.

Sent from my iPhone

viking
03-26-2013, 04:35 PM
OK - gonna pull the trigger on the Go Pro this week. Still can't decide if the extra $100 is worth it for the Black over the Silver with an extra 2nd battery? Input?
I lean towards the Black Surf package for $399 because I don't want to "wish I'd gone" that route but really is the WiFi remote worth the extra cash? Heard that with Wifi enabled the battery drains extremely fast and that the batt life is not very good as it is when not using wifi?? So maybe the silver with 2 batts is better?
Also heard about the freeze up issue and that has me worried a bit?
Thanks all

sicktc06
03-26-2013, 04:44 PM
I personally love my Silver. Even edited some video with it. Unless you are hardcore into recording 1080, you may be ok with just the silver. You can always get a wifi remote for it later, but yes Wifi does drain the battery faster than normal use.. I've also heard of the freezing issues with the black. I'd get the remote too personally as you can wear it on your wrist and it's waterproof. That way you don't have an entire video of you boarding to just warm up to bust out that trick you want on film and have to wait 5 minutes to see it. ;) HOWEVER with that said, your iphone or ipod with wifi capability can do the same thing the remote does. And it can be controlled from the boat while your on the board.

Also, the Black does have a faster burst mode, so if you like taking those burst shots, then Black may be a way to roll. Black is also 12MP vs the 11mp of the silver.

rdlangston13
03-26-2013, 09:10 PM
The main advantage with the black IMO is the higher frame rate at 720p. Being about to record at 120 fps will make awesome and smooth slow motion shots

Sent from my iPhone

jmb
03-26-2013, 09:16 PM
So far, my silver looks good but don't have a black to compare it to. I think the pics look real good. I did buy a second battery for mine. Not the bac pac one but another one to go inside.

jmb
03-27-2013, 08:05 PM
Read my 1st Day of March 16th about my thoughts on a video camera

rdlangston13
04-07-2013, 01:09 PM
here is a good video i found that helps compare the different go pros

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yZvPBBHAuiI

jmb
04-07-2013, 09:10 PM
Good Video

sicktc06
04-11-2013, 09:21 AM
Neat GoPro angles!! Ever seen the underside of your V-hull while it's in the water on camera? :P

https://vimeo.com/63797664 (for some reason, the Vimeo site is not really playing on mobile web, I have to use the Vimeo app itself to play the videos.. :/ )