PDA

View Full Version : CNC prop?

11-25-2005, 05:02 PM
I am purchasing a 2005 Outback and it comes standard with a 3 blade Nibral prop. There is an option for a CNC 3 blade prop. Does anyoneone have any recommendations about them. I was wondering if anyone had any complaints about vibration using the stock Nibral prop and if the upgrade is worth it.

Thank-you

05mobiusxlv
11-25-2005, 10:31 PM
For some reason i cant read what your question is. Just the topic. I have tried both the standard and upgraded CNC. I ordered mine with the CNC, then bent it and tried a standard for a week. (worst week ever) It all depends on what you plan on using your boat for the most. With the standard prop it was smoother and i could go faster. The first time i tried the standard prop i filled all 3 bags and had 10 people with me. It took a long a** time to get to 23mph. After 15 min i dumped the bags because i could see my fuel gauge dropping. Got my CNC back and found out that it has twice the hole shot. And not very often do i go over 23 mph. I use my boat for nothing but wakeboarding and usually have a lot of people with, so the standard prop would not cut it for me.

11-26-2005, 12:50 PM
I'm not sure why my orrigional post is not showing up. I am purchasing a 2005 Outback that comes with a standard 3 blade Nibral prop. I slalom 80% of the time so the speeds are generally 34 mph.. Your comment about the fuel consumption being more with the standard prop is very interesting. It never occured to me that fuel efficiency could be a factor. It also makes me wonder that if you experienced a better hole-shot with the CNC prop, that it may also help hold speed at 34 mph. in the slalom course.

Aubrey
11-26-2005, 12:55 PM
Testing to view post/reply (cant get it to show up)

Aubrey
11-26-2005, 12:59 PM
I'm purchasing a 2005 Outback that comes standard with a 3 blade Nibral prop. We slalom 80% of the time at 34 mph. Your comment about fuel consumption is very interesting. It never occured to me that fuel efficiency would be a factor. I also wonder if the better hole-shot you experienced with the CNC with help with holding the speed at 34 mph in the slalom course.

BensonWdby
11-28-2005, 12:51 AM
My 2 sources for prop information have both told me that the ACME 3 blade prop is way better than the orignal 4 blade OJ. The ACME is a CNC NiBrAl. I even got mine computer spin balanced.

I am not sure I notice that much of a difference. The ACME is maybe 1-2 mph faster.
With 2 people in the boat and me on my slalom ski - that 5.7L V8 does not seem to care a whole lot about what is behind it. So improved hole-shot - I don't know. All I can say for sure is that they are both way better than my old outboard.

The ACME does make some stranger noises, but my prop guy says it may be that I am hearing noises that both props make, but that the OJ is causing more noises that mask what I think I am hearing from the ACME.

Have not really compared GPH between the two.

Here is what I did - I bought the ACME and run it most of the time. But have had to have both in the shop for serious dings, so used the other for spare and left it on until had an opportunity to change it out - boat is on lift most of the time and I am not about to change it over water....

My advice - get the CNC and try it. If you don't like it as much - at least you now have a spare..

Dave

05mobiusxlv
11-28-2005, 02:51 AM
The CNC and the standard props i tried were both 4 blade's on a Mobius XLV. (like I said I could not read what your question was, all i seen was "CNC prop? is the stock prop ok?") So nothing i said was very relevent to your situation with an outback and skiing. Sorry. I used so much fuel because i completely lost my hole shot with the standard prop. I was Trying to get a 4,000lb boat on plane with a wakeboarder, 1,200lbs of ballast & 1,500 lbs of people in the boat. And that CNC prop gets it done in seconds. When the stock prop took minutes. CNC wakeboard prop is an OJ 13 pitch by 15.5. And a $125 option. The standard prop was an OJ 13.7 pitch by 17.5 (does not sound like much of a differnce but it was huge)

Aubrey
11-28-2005, 11:49 AM
Thanks for all your input. Not sure what I'll do. Of course everybody hopes they will never need a spare prop; I've been running my current boat (1994 Supra LaBrisa) for 4 years now and have not hit anything. We are usually in fairly deep waters but I guess you never know. I'm sure looking forward to picking up my new Outback in the next few months. I'll be sure to post a picture this spring. We don't wake board alot but I love the way boats look with boards on the tower, so yesterday I gave my 04 Temet to a custom air brush painter and he is going to give it a new look using the colors of the boat (sunset orange) as accents. Hope it looks cool.

Thanks

Buttafewcoe
11-28-2005, 05:09 PM
Cool.....I neber thought of getting an old board a face lift.................what a fashon statement, eh?
:p
Butta

Aubrey
11-28-2005, 05:21 PM
yeh, and if it turns out good I'm going to look for a good deal on an older used board just to paint & display (we only have 1 right now, and the tower may look a little lop-sided if I don't put one on the other side)

BensonWdby
11-29-2005, 12:42 AM
Regarding a spare prop. I ran for 13 years without one on my outboard. Have only had the Moomba for 4 years and have had 2 prop repairs. In one case I hit something at a public landing just getting off the trailer. The inboard that went out right before me had no problems. Must have been something floating like a small deadhead. The second time was my own baot lift - don't ask .....

Anyhow, it seems inevitable that a spare will be needed at some point. Prices are probably only going to go up. So buy the alternate and get a prop puller kit. Keep them in your tow vehicle. Try taking the prop off on dry land once just so you understand how it works. Once you know how it works you can change them on the landing in about 10-15 minutes.

Enjoy the new boat....
Dave

Aubrey
11-29-2005, 01:38 PM
Thanks for the advise; a spare prop sounds like a good idea (I just had to picture myself at the lake during perfect ski conditions with a buggered up prop)

** 05mobiusxlv ..... I can't get over how much wieght you carry in your boat .... your wake must be a monster!!

Thanks
Aubrey

05mobiusxlv
11-30-2005, 04:50 AM
05mobiusxlv ..... I can't get over how much wieght you carry in your boat .... your wake must be a monster!!

I can't always find 10 people to come with. Most of the time it is half that. But When I do, Its Huge. And the wake is extremely touchy when I get a lot of people in it. I wish i would have upgraded to the Gravity Games ballast, two 400 lb bags and a 1000 lb bag in the front. I called Fly High to see if i could order them. But they were very expensive. If anyone out there has these bags, and wants to sell, or work out some kind of trade, let me know. I know i could buy aftermarket fat sacs, but i would like to get something that I would not have to retro-fit.

05mobiusxlv
12-02-2005, 02:25 AM
I was wrong. Both the rear bags are 600lbs not 400 like i said. I email BUYWAKE.com to see if they could get them for me, here is what they said.

BUYWAKE.COM "I just got off of the phone with Fly High International. They offer the Gravity Games Edition Sacs which will mount up directly to your existing pumps. 600lbs rear sacs $240 each. 1000lbs front sac $360."

Does anyone else out there have this set up? Is it worth it? I'm seriously considering the front bag for right now. I'm from North Dakota, and its always cold, and no one ever wants to sit up front and be cold. So the extra weight for the front would be nice. Like i said before, if anyone out there has these bags and wants to sell, or work out some kind of trade. Let me know. [email protected]. Thanks.