PDA

View Full Version : Who is happy with their acme 1847 prop

ditchsnake
02-12-2013, 01:51 AM
I've been reading posts for days now and am getting close to a new prop. 08 supra 22ssv with 340 motor. Run about 1600#'s boarding and a little more to surf. Usually 6 people too. The elevation where we boat is 5000' I run a weird size OJ prop. It's 13.75x15.5 and I think a .090 cup. I get good rpm empty (5000). My prop runs like a raped ape at 800' but needs a little more here. Top speed empty is 40. nettles thinks a 1847 would work jim at acme thinks a 1433 would work.

bergermaister
02-12-2013, 02:13 AM
Both are good. I went from a 13.7x17.5 (stock) to the 1847 and am happy. It's like a workhorse for grunting around a lot of extra weight and you really don't lose much top end.

New boat eh?

rdlangston13
02-12-2013, 09:10 AM
I run the 1847 and about 2k in wake board ballast and have no issues. And that with Moomba cruise that won't go over you speed rpms...

Sent from my iPhone

parrothd
02-12-2013, 11:38 AM
Love it, we run around 2200lbs surfing with no issues and still have enough top end speed for slaloming...

parrothd
02-12-2013, 11:40 AM
Btw, you may need to shim your trailed the 1847 is a little bigger I believe....

mmandley
02-12-2013, 11:41 AM
I've been reading posts for days now and am getting close to a new prop. 08 supra 22ssv with 340 motor. Run about 1600#'s boarding and a little more to surf. Usually 6 people too. The elevation where we boat is 5000' I run a weird size OJ prop. It's 13.75x15.5 and I think a .090 cup. I get good rpm empty (5000). My prop runs like a raped ape at 800' but needs a little more here. Top speed empty is 40. nettles thinks a 1847 would work jim at acme thinks a 1433 would work.

Seems to me that Al Cab did a write up where he choose the 1847 prop liking it on the test results.
Later he sold the prop as he found out he really didnt like it.

Id lean towards the Acme 1433 myself but i also have a couple others that are my personal favorites.

saskie99
02-12-2013, 12:06 PM
I have the 1433 and really like it, I did not have the shim the trailer at all. It pulls hard when fully weighted ( 3000 lbs plus people) and actually saved me some cash on fuel when surfing as the engine was not working near as hard. I dont know enough about the 1847 to comment on it. I just know that the 1433 wad a great choice for my boat and I would recommend it to anyone that is not a barefooter or a salom skier primary.

ditchsnake
02-12-2013, 12:08 PM
Btw, you may need to shim your trailed the 1847 is a little bigger I believe....
I ordered an extra hub ass. from boatmate and they are sending some 3/8 and 1/2 shims along with it. The local dealer here usually puts the OJ468 prop which is 14.25 dia. and they say they don't have issues with clearance. I have 11/4" clearance now to the prop guard so shims on the bunks sounds like a good idea.

ditchsnake
02-12-2013, 12:11 PM
I have the 1433 and really like it, I did not have the shim the trailer at all. It pulls hard when fully weighted ( 3000 lbs plus people) and actually saved me some cash on fuel when surfing as the engine was not working near as hard. I dont know enough about the 1847 to comment on it. I just know that the 1433 wad a great choice for my boat and I would recommend it to anyone that is not a barefooter or a salom skier primary.

Hi saskie99, I grew up in MooseJaw. Live in denver now. Small world!!!!!!!!

ditchsnake
02-12-2013, 12:14 PM
I worry about that too. Thats the main reason for starting this thread. I'm worried with the extra cup on the 1847 I'll loose some top end rpm. Especially at this altitude.
Seems to me that Al Cab did a write up where he choose the 1847 prop liking it on the test results.

Id lean towards the Acme 1433 myself but i also have a couple others that are my personal favorites.

saskie99
02-12-2013, 12:16 PM
hahaha that is small world!

parrothd
02-12-2013, 12:32 PM
I ordered an extra hub ass. from boatmate and they are sending some 3/8 and 1/2 shims along with it. The local dealer here usually puts the OJ468 prop which is 14.25 dia. and they say they don't have issues with clearance. I have 11/4" clearance now to the prop guard so shims on the bunks sounds like a good idea.

I shimmed mine 1/2in, only did the 2 rear supports and did it with the boat on the trailer.. :)

cab13367
02-12-2013, 07:24 PM

Mike, this is incorrect. I was running the 537 then switched to the 1847 which I am still running today. I am perfectly happy with it.

ditchsnake, here is the link to the prop testing that I did a while back:

https://forum.moomba.com/showthread.php?15139-Prop-Test-Results-Part-2&highlight=prop+test

Note this excerpt from that post, which sold me on the 1847 over the 1433:

"Which brings me to the little known 1847, which is the same diameter (14") and pitch (14.25") as the 1433 but has more cup (0.150" vs 0.105"). According to Jim at Acme, the additional cup has the effect of almost an inch of additional pitch on the top end with negligible loss of holeshot on the bottom end. And it turns fewer rpms than the 1433 at the same speed. "

Since you are operating at high altitude and running 1600# of ballast, I would go with the 1433 over the 1847, and would even consider the 1235. The downside to a bigger prop is obviously a slight loss in fuel economy and some mph on the top end. However, if you boat primarily on Cherry Creek or Chatfield (yes, I used to live in the Denver area), those are small reservoirs so you are not spending much time traveling from the dock to the riding spot so neither fuel economy or top end is much of a concern.

KSmith
02-12-2013, 09:05 PM
1847 and never look back, killer prop! And as cab noted, the extra cup helps a little bit with the top end.

ditchsnake
02-13-2013, 02:25 AM
Thanks cab, I always enjoy reading your posts. Since you lived in Denver you know cherry creek and chatfield suck. And they really don't like my stereo there. We hit pueblo about every weekend. Just costs a lot for gas. Drive sucks too.but its way more fun and far less boats. Even there it's only a mile from the dock to our boarding spot. Cab, thats the same thing Jim @acme told me. My max rpm is about 5000 empty. You think the 1847 will run short of that. Max rpm is 5200 on my boat. I wonder why the local dealer loves the OJ468 prop on my boat? Thanks
Mike, this is incorrect. I was running the 537 then switched to the 1847 which I am still running today. I am perfectly happy with it.

https://forum.moomba.com/showthread.php?15139-Prop-Test-Results-Part-2&highlight=prop+test

"Which brings me to the little known 1847, which is the same diameter (14") and pitch (14.25") as the 1433 but has more cup (0.150" vs 0.105"). According to Jim at Acme, the additional cup has the effect of almost an inch of additional pitch on the top end with negligible loss of holeshot on the bottom end. And it turns fewer rpms than the 1433 at the same speed. "

Since you are operating at high altitude and running 1600# of ballast, I would go with the 1433 over the 1847, and would even consider the 1235. The downside to a bigger prop is obviously a slight loss in fuel economy and some mph on the top end. However, if you boat primarily on Cherry Creek or Chatfield (yes, I used to live in the Denver area), those are small reservoirs so you are not spending much time traveling from the dock to the riding spot so neither fuel economy or top end is much of a concern.

yearround
02-13-2013, 02:51 AM
Hey ditch,
I'm in Denver, i usually ride cherry creek, cuz i am 5 minutes from there.
i have an ACME prop that i upgraded to from the OJ wakeboard prop, , i think it was 14x14.25, whatever, im not too good on the details. in fact, i am not even sure which ACME i have. i think it is the 1847? i don't remember, i get confused with all the numbers that don't mean much to me. ill be getting in the boat soon to do my winter stereo work, i can look at the prop then.

you are probably not riding in the winter now, but i may not be opposed to pulling mine prop and going for a ride with you for a demo, when the lake opens up.

but you may make the decision sooner and just buy the prop.

we are much happier with the ACME than the OJ, i dont really remember a top end difference, i can't hit 40 here, the hole shot seemed better when we are loaded. it is much quieter than the OJ.

thanks

ditchsnake
02-13-2013, 03:02 AM
Hey ditch,
I'm in Denver, i usually ride cherry creek, cuz i am 5 minutes from there.
i have an ACME prop that i upgraded to from the OJ wakeboard prop, , i think it was 14x14.25, whatever, im not too good on the details. in fact, i am not even sure which ACME i have. i think it is the 1847? i don't remember, i get confused with all the numbers that don't mean much to me. ill be getting in the boat soon to do my winter stereo work, i can look at the prop then.

you are probably not riding in the winter now, but i may not be opposed to pulling mine prop and going for a ride with you for a demo, when the lake opens up.

but you may make the decision sooner and just buy the prop.

we are much happier with the ACME than the OJ, i dont really remember a top end difference, i can't hit 40 here, the hole shot seemed better when we are loaded. it is much quieter than the OJ.

thanks

Thats a great offer. I think the oj prop is a 14.25x14 and the 1433/1847 is a 14x14.25. No ice on pueblo but the weather is gonna suck for the next couple of weeks. I'm scared I'd get runover at the creek. especially the weekends. Last 2 years we've boarded the second weekend of march. Water is cold but doable with a drysuit. Wife even gets in with a wet suit. She got a new board and boots so she's stoked. Sounds like this is going to be a work in progress. Thanks, Gene

mmandley
02-13-2013, 09:40 AM

Thanks for jumping on and fixing that Al, i wasnt positive but i knew one of the props you wernt as happy with lol.

Nice to see you back online man

cab13367
02-13-2013, 04:35 PM
Thanks cab, I always enjoy reading your posts. Since you lived in Denver you know cherry creek and chatfield suck. And they really don't like my stereo there. We hit pueblo about every weekend. Just costs a lot for gas. Drive sucks too.but its way more fun and far less boats. Even there it's only a mile from the dock to our boarding spot. Cab, thats the same thing Jim @acme told me. My max rpm is about 5000 empty. You think the 1847 will run short of that. Max rpm is 5200 on my boat. I wonder why the local dealer loves the OJ468 prop on my boat? Thanks

If your current 13.75x15.5 will run to 5000 rpm, then the lower pitched 1847 should easily run past that. I think either Nettles or Acme will let you return the prop for a different one if you don't like it and all you are out is the cost of shipping it back.

I bought my boat new from RoMoBoCo in Pueblo and test drove/rode on Pueblo Res. Picked it up in Jan '07 and promptly towed it to Portland.

Yeah, the only time I went to Cherry Creek was after work, usually on a Monday or Tuesday. I would tow it to work then leave at 3:30 and headed straight for the res. I never went there on weekends. The boating scene here is so much better :)

Thanks for jumping on and fixing that Al, i wasnt positive but i knew one of the props you wernt as happy with lol.

Nice to see you back online man

No worries Mike. I guess I better get on here more often :)

yearround
02-14-2013, 12:00 AM
Thats a great offer. I think the oj prop is a 14.25x14 and the 1433/1847 is a 14x14.25. No ice on pueblo but the weather is gonna suck for the next couple of weeks. I'm scared I'd get runover at the creek. especially the weekends. Last 2 years we've boarded the second weekend of march. Water is cold but doable with a drysuit. Wife even gets in with a wet suit. She got a new board and boots so she's stoked. Sounds like this is going to be a work in progress. Thanks, Gene

yes, there is the crowd at cherry creek. when we go to ride, it is a dawn patrol, or week nite. we are usually on when they open after the ice is gone. mostly in drysuits, some in wetsuits.

ditchsnake
02-14-2013, 12:13 AM
Thanks again for all the good info. I've been on the supra site for a long time but get way more info from this site. People seem nice as hell too. Your right about lakes in colorado. Most people think we have lakes everywhere but can't board on most of them. We took a trip out east to table rock and really had fun. Labor day weekend, no boats and glass all day every day. Condo on the lake, 100 to the boat dock. maid service. Not as much work as going to powell. We do a lot of 4 day weekends during the summer so we can get good water at pueblo. Bill at ROMOBOCO is a buddy of mine. Sometimes hard to do buisness with a friend but we have a great time at the lake.
If your current 13.75x15.5 will run to 5000 rpm, then the lower pitched 1847 should easily run past that. I think either Nettles or Acme will let you return the prop for a different one if you don't like it and all you are out is the cost of shipping it back.

I bought my boat new from RoMoBoCo in Pueblo and test drove/rode on Pueblo Res. Picked it up in Jan '07 and promptly towed it to Portland.

Yeah, the only time I went to Cherry Creek was after work, usually on a Monday or Tuesday. I would tow it to work then leave at 3:30 and headed straight for the res. I never went there on weekends. The boating scene here is so much better :)

No worries Mike. I guess I better get on here more often :)

rdlangston13
02-14-2013, 12:15 AM
If you don't own an 80s model classic supra then the supra site is pretty useless as most of the people will just ignore you.

ditchsnake
02-14-2013, 12:16 AM
I'll send you a pm in a month. It's only a 20 min drive for us.
yes, there is the crowd at cherry creek. when we go to ride, it is a dawn patrol, or week nite. we are usually on when they open after the ice is gone. mostly in drysuits, some in wetsuits.

cab13367
02-14-2013, 01:30 AM
Bill at ROMOBOCO is a buddy of mine.

Bill was the one that sold me my boat. Please tell him Al from Portland said hey.

ditchsnake
02-14-2013, 01:54 AM
I'll talk to him tommorrow. He really is a great guy. He's a hoot to go to powell with.

ditchsnake
02-14-2013, 07:22 PM
Bill was the one that sold me my boat. Please tell him Al from Portland said hey.

Hey Al, Bill said your a good guy. Thanks for your input. Gonna demo a OJ 468 and a, acme 1847. Hopefully in a couple of weeks.