PDA

View Full Version : New LSV ordered. How do I protect it?

ajqajq
02-09-2013, 11:13 PM
I'm new to the forum--this is my first post. We just ordered a new 2013 Mobius LSV and we're super stoked about it!

I'm a little concerned about how to protect it from the weather. Are the covers they come with pretty good? I've looked at metal carports, building my own from wood, sail shades and fabric temporary garages.

What do people on here do to protect their boats? Is the cover sufficiently waterproof?

Mikey
02-09-2013, 11:26 PM
Where do you live? what kind of weather do you need to protect from,temps etc all are contributers.
My boat unfortunetely sits in our back yard year round. I have the factory travel tarp,2 pieces with snaps. I rewaterproof every season twice and check and fix snaps as need be. I still have original tarps.

In winter ,boat has a partial tent ,overtop of original tarps that a secondary Poly tarp goes over and trys to keep the bulk of the snow weight off the true tarp.I try to brush heavy snow and icebuild up off.
Boat is fully winterized and seats and compartments left open ,inside to allow for air circulation etc.

Every spring a full cleanup is required even after being fully cleaned in fall,but mold etc are not the issues. Clean ,wash,wax, dewinterize etc. All part of the joys of boat ownership. I wish i did not have to do this ,but so far going on 6 seasons all is good.

To get back to your question with proper care and precautions ,the tarps are good.

ajqajq
02-09-2013, 11:36 PM
We live in northern Alabama. No snow to speak of but we sometimes get strong winds. We get a decent amount of rain.

My old boat (a 1996 sunsetter VLX thats now up for sale) would get mold over the winter but I think this was mostly due to the cover being old and not staying waterproof even after I applied waterproofing treatment.

rdlangston13
02-09-2013, 11:54 PM
I keep mine in an enclosed storage

Sent from my iPhone

jpetty3023
02-10-2013, 12:56 AM
100 bucks a month for enclosed storage. To easy of an insurance policy

sent from my ipad2 via a wireless network which usually sucks

wolfeman131
02-10-2013, 01:24 AM
North AL, huh? I got a place to keep her safe just a short, 2 hr drive away. Hell, I'll meet ya 1/2 way!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

E4NASH
02-10-2013, 02:28 AM
I keep mine in an enclosed storage

Sent from my iPhone

Ditto.... Could never leave my boat outside in the elements...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NCSUmoomba
02-10-2013, 11:08 AM
I don't think they make a boat cover that keeps all the water out. That being said, once water gets in, mildew can start, especially in humid climates. Over the life of my boat, I have stored it outside some, under a shed some, and finally inside a garage. The only place I have not gotten mildew is in the garage uncovered. Keep in mind, the boat will get wet inside, even if it is just from getting in the boat after swimming. If the boat is covered up outside after that, it will not dry very well... mildew. I have seen these boat dehuminification things (buckets of dessicant and electric devices) that should help or prevent that. If I were spending that much on a custom ordered brand new boat, I would have to build a garage in order to sleep at night.

racer808
02-10-2013, 11:16 AM
My garage is too small so I am stuck having to store it outside. Colorado is a dryer climate for my other boat we have just cleaned very well, dried out well then make a tent type set up with a pole so the cover has no low points, then I cover that with a big tarp nice & tight so so water can roll off and away & then we wrap the entire trailer & boat with a huge tarp. I hope that is enough since we can't do indoor storage. I think we the new boat I will be paying for shrink wrapping at the very min.

Boonejeepin
02-10-2013, 11:49 AM
[QUOTE=racer808;Colorado is a dryer climate for my other boat we have just cleaned very well, dried out well then make a tent type set up with a pole so the cover has no low points, then I cover that with a big tarp nice & tight so so water can roll off and away & then we wrap the entire trailer & boat with a huge tarp. [/QUOTE]

This will work if you get the boat dry, keep the tarp from pooling water and keep desiccant in there. It has worked for me in the past. I had a big enough tarp to cover the entire boat, trailer, and tires to stop any uv exposure.

I used a bunch of clothesline to create a "spider web" to support the tarp.

KT Mobius
02-10-2013, 04:21 PM
If you cant store it in the garage definitely pay to store it.

zabooda
02-10-2013, 04:49 PM
Twenty years and never stored the boat inside and no problems. Get yourself a good cover. I should say I live where there is lots of water but very little of it is in the atmosphere. I used to use a blue tarp overwrap but felt it trapped more moisture and wore on the boat cover so I just use the one cover.

Mikey
02-10-2013, 05:28 PM
If i had the room in my garage i definetetly would go that route. As for storage...Not in the budget so as Zabooda says ,store it outside. If proper care is taken, this is not a problem. Our air is like someone else mentioned ,Very Dry so humidity is not a prob untill spring rains, Remember this is a boat which will get wet come summer. Just take some care and precautions to keep it from staying wet and all will be good.

ajqajq
02-10-2013, 06:45 PM
Hmm. I was beginning to lean towards a carport. But, Alabama is pretty humid and I really want to avoid mildew and mold.

Maybe I should consider a garage. Anyone had any experience with the metal garages?

moombadaze
02-10-2013, 07:29 PM
garaged year round