PDA

View Full Version : 2001 Mobius v22

racer808
02-06-2013, 10:07 PM
Hey guys, new to the forum. I have been doing a lot of boat shopping, looking at Sangers, used Malibus, basically anything under 25k. There is a almost new Sanger DLX with 150 hours & a banging stereo, subs, amps, batteries & switch. Not a fan of the DD seating but I read it throws an awesome wake for both surfing & boarding with a little ballast. No ballast or perfect pass, but the boat is 16k & close by.

I came across a 2001 moomba mobius V 22 that has really caught my eye, 300 hours, garage kept, looks damn nice but it is 700 miles away so I cannot go look. He is willing to meet me in the middle though. Has the usually tower, stereo, single battery, bimini but again no ballast or perfect pass. He wants 20k. We really prefer the V drive seating.

So is it worth spending that much more even though I need to spend another grand for perfect pass & will probably need some fat sacks stashed somewhere?

How is the wake without ballast, what about surfing? Reliability, quality of the boat? Is 20k a good price?

Boonejeepin
02-06-2013, 10:20 PM
1 vote for the v drive

racer808
02-06-2013, 10:40 PM
I agree with the go to V drive. Is an 01 mobius worth the 20k? Does the boat need ballast for wake boarding? I imagine 500 pounds up front & 600 port side for surfing is a must? Is perfect pass a must have on these boats?

ryan_8099
02-06-2013, 10:55 PM
We bought a 2000 Mobius V for 16,500 with 500ish hours on it. No tower, no ballast, no perfect pass which we all ended up installing. We have been pretty happy, but the previous owner had done a shotty job at a hull repair and now we are paying the price now. We installed a 3 bag system, 1180 in the center and two 750s and it throws a pretty nice wakeboarding/wakesurfing wake. It's a nice looking boat for how old it is and we get compliments from people too.

racer808
02-06-2013, 11:12 PM
We bought a 2000 Mobius V for 16,500 with 500ish hours on it. No tower, no ballast, no perfect pass which we all ended up installing. We have been pretty happy, but the previous owner had done a shotty job at a hull repair and now we are paying the price now. We installed a 3 bag system, 1180 in the center and two 750s and it throws a pretty nice wakeboarding/wakesurfing wake. It's a nice looking boat for how old it is and we get compliments from people too.
Thanks Ryan. When did you get yours & is that the price I should be closer to? There is a moomba outback v here locally that looks great on the hull, interior is rough plus its brown & it has 700 hours. But the dealer is asking 16,500.00 The owner moved up to a Supra. Sucks looking at all these out of state boats, I can't go look, can't test them. How is your wake without any ballast?

txnight
02-07-2013, 12:27 AM
Racer, is the 2001 in N.TX? I looked a boat like your describing this weekend. I can describe its condition for you.

racer808
02-07-2013, 12:30 AM
Racer, is the 2001 in N.TX? I looked a boat like your describing this weekend. I can describe its condition for you.

Yes, yes it is. In Rhome I believe, I saw a link to it here while searching but now I cannot find it. PM if you would like, I am hesitant just because it has no upgrades so to speak. Did you look at a Sanger in Ammarillo by chance?

ryan_8099
02-07-2013, 09:47 AM
Thanks Ryan. When did you get yours & is that the price I should be closer to? There is a moomba outback v here locally that looks great on the hull, interior is rough plus its brown & it has 700 hours. But the dealer is asking 16,500.00 The owner moved up to a Supra. Sucks looking at all these out of state boats, I can't go look, can't test them. How is your wake without any ballast?

We got ours in August of 2011. We live in WI and had to drive to 8 hours to pick it up. Not sure what boats go for further south so hard to say on price, ours had a new interior and had also been recently painted which we just found out about. If it is in as good as condition as you stated it might be worth it. I would definitely go with the Mob V over the Outback though, you will love how much space is in that boat. I was pretty impressed with the stock wake and I am the only one who rides with ballast for wakeboarding. All depends who will be riding behind it and how serious they are about wakeboarding. The ballast install was definitely worth it because everyone loves to surf behind the boat.

bergermaister
02-07-2013, 11:01 AM
Drink the Koolaid....

Sounds like price is in line with NADA and then location plays a factor as well. One thought - If you're comfortable with DIY you could do a full ballast system and PerfectPass for about the same coin or less than taking a boat in for a complete new interior. But the ballast you can go piece by piece more, the interior, well I suppose you could but...

For a couple tanks of gas and the chance to climb all over the thing, go for a test drive, etc. I'd feel more comfortable doing that than just taking some guy's word for it and looking at the pictures he wants you to see. Maintenance records or 'proof' would be a must too for a long distance deal.

I honestly wasn't very excited about having a yellow boat to start with - but it quickly grew on me. You should ask if that one has the metal flake in the finish. It does make a difference in the shine/bling factor over straight yellow, especially with all the heavy flake coming out on the 2013 models. That may help sell your girl on it over the blue DD Tige you were showing me.

kaneboats
02-07-2013, 12:14 PM
You are talking about wakes and surfing so quit looking at DD boats. It's just not for you. For the right used boat you may have to drive 800 miles. It will be worth it and you can make a fun adventure out of it. Lots of guys on here have done it. Look in the "Craigslist finds" thread on here (actually I'm going to start a new thread like that one today for boats only). Guys all over post nice deals they see to share them with others. Good luck!

racer808
02-07-2013, 12:38 PM
I think we are set on that Moomba, I am just hung up on 20k, 19 seems reasonable to me but he will not come off the 20k. Been all over craigs in areas I am willing to drive, factoring in fuel & hotels so it makes sense. Boats in CO for some reason are stupid priced.

kaneboats
02-07-2013, 12:40 PM
Maybe go talk to a bank or credit union. If the value is not there they wouldn't loan on it (even though you may not be looking for a loan yourself) but you can take the info back to the seller as a bargaining point.

volfo
02-07-2013, 01:36 PM
On a used boat, my opinion is that the value is all in the condition of the boat. If it is in good mechanical shape, low hours, garage kept, it very well may be worth the $20k. If I were looking, condition would be first, hours second, v drive third, original factory tower fourth. On ballast, it's nice to have but I also wonder how much strain has been on the engine if the previous owner was sacking it out crazy.

I think the V drive will make it a much easier sell later on if you ever want to sell. FYI, I live in TN, I traded in a 2001 Outback LS with 420 hours on it and an aftermarket monster tower for $19k. The boat was kept in good condition and had no defects. I know, trade in price without selling price on the new boat is meaningless but I also got a great deal on the new boat and negotiated both prices separately. If you want to wakeboard and especially surf, the v drive is a much better choice. Easily worthe $4k difference just to go from DD to V drive i think. I have no idea how good of a boat the Sanger is, I've never even seen one in person before! However, my 2001 Moomba was a good boat, but not nearly as nice as the newer Moombas as far as comfort, vinyl quality, etc. Still, the things that make it go were all good. Is it fuel injected? That would be worth something to me also.

txnight
02-07-2013, 01:47 PM
Nice Job Racer, You won't be disappointed! I just hope you don't come looking for me when you pick your new boat up :)

racer808
02-07-2013, 02:12 PM
Thanks TX. Actually if you are in the area lets have a beer! I am supposed to meet him in Amarillo to pick it up. Still waiting on the guy to give me the hull & VIN so I can process it

bergermaister
02-07-2013, 04:05 PM
Is it fuel injected? That would be worth something to me also.

Mine is identical to this one and is TBI so I'd say yes on his behalf.

When you do go to look it over keep an eye out for a few things on the hull-

Spider cracks around swim platform mounts (I have a few)
Any cracking around tower mounts
Cracking around windshield supports, etc.
Oil in the bilge area

Stiff steering (fixable)

Tires & Brakes on the trailer (replace-able)
Any rust on the trailer.

Aside from normal wear and tear those are some easy things that will help give an indication of maintenance, neglect or abuse. Also some possible price negotiation.

racer808
02-07-2013, 06:36 PM
Nice Job Racer, You won't be disappointed! I just hope you don't come looking for me when you pick your new boat up :) You're not the seller are you?

txnight
02-07-2013, 07:11 PM
ha, no I was just out there on Sunday afternoon to see it. I wound up buying a supra so I'm still in the Skier's Choice family.

Reading the list of things that Berg Mentioned is all good things to look for. The swim platform its self does have some cracking but nothing significant and the very back of the engine cover has a tear in the upholstery. Just normal wear.

The trailer is nice and clean from being in the garage.

rdlangston13
02-07-2013, 08:16 PM
You're not the seller are you?

that's kind of the feeling i got too

chadjitsu1
02-07-2013, 10:03 PM
Racer, best advice I have for you is to read all the stuff these guys are doing to their boats on here. Ballast upgrades and systems are expensive, so are seat covers and perfect pass. I went through the same exact thing with my last boat. I wanted an inboard on a budget so I bought a 1989 Ski Nautique 2001. The boat was really cool but it lacked room on the inside, a tower, ballast and a stereo. I ended up adding up all the money I needed to dump into the boat to make it what I wanted and realized that it would never be the boat that I really wanted.

Best advice I have is look at something that has all the things that are really important to you now, its a lot cheaper to buy a boat that has the upgraded ballast, nice stereo, and perfect pass rather than buying it yourself. I found myself working on my last boat installing ballast and other things rather than being out on the lake. It was summer already and I still had the boat torn apart. I think that for mid 20's you should easily be able to find a V-Drive that is all set up the way you want it.

Just my .02

bergermaister
02-10-2013, 02:30 AM
So............................ new(to-you) Moomba owner yet?

racer808
02-10-2013, 09:54 AM
So............................ new(to-you) Moomba owner yet?

Not fully. Everything including a bill of sale is into the bank. Unless nada or hull info problems arise I would say its done. I'm gonna find a shop in Amarillo to do the pre buy for a piece of mind. Although I still cruising classifieds looking for that elusive package in my budget. Wife is already giving me a hard time that I have 2500 more already spent and maybe we should get a boat that has more.

Hey, stupid question. For surfing, since you weighting one side, what do you do with the other side? Empty it, run400 pounds?

wolfeman131
02-10-2013, 10:06 AM
On that boat, I'd say empty. You can always try a bit in the off side & see what it does. The Mojo likes the surf side 1,100 full & about 500 In the off side.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

racer808
02-10-2013, 11:07 AM
On that boat, I'd say empty. You can always try a bit in the off side & see what it does. The Mojo likes the surf side 1,100 full & about 500 In the off side.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD You said empty then you said about 500 in the off side? I just wanna make sure I am sure understanding?

Also, if a boat is rated for 1,800 pounds, how do you safely assume ballast weight without sinking it? If I have 500 pounds of people am I limited to 1300 pounds of ballast?

wolfeman131
02-10-2013, 12:40 PM
Sorry to confuse you. On the 2001, I think surf side full, offside empty. But, you may find some offside works, too and as an example, I stated that my Mojo likes 500 in the offside when the surf side 1,100 is full.

Good question on the rating. I, and most that want to make a good surf wave, ignore that pesky little yellow plate. Make your own decision on safety, but I doubt you could sink it unless you do something stupid.

mmandley
02-10-2013, 12:41 PM
You said empty then you said about 500 in the off side? I just wanna make sure I am sure understanding?

Also, if a boat is rated for 1,800 pounds, how do you safely assume ballast weight without sinking it? If I have 500 pounds of people am I limited to 1300 pounds of ballast?

What Drew is saying is, try it with only the surf side weighted, then try it with weight in the opposite corner and see if you like it more.

The LSV and the Mojo both like weight in the opposite surf side. This is due to when you weigh one side of the boat it will roll <list> over to that side.

The opposite side <thinking from the center line of the boat> will roll out of the water more.

The key to the surf wave is the boat hull, and keeping the V section on the front of the hull in the water.

So weighting the opposite side will keep that part of the hull in the wave.

The effect i have found is more push in the wave, less list in the boat.
You will know if you have too much weight in the opposite side because the wave will be washed out at almost any speed.

This also ONLY works on Regular surfing. The Goofy side of the LSV doesnt like any weight on the opposite side, this is due to prop rotation.
Mojo isnt as sensitive to this but it doesnt like much weight on the opposite side when Goofy surfing.

racer808
02-10-2013, 01:25 PM
, but I doubt you could sink it unless you do something stupid. My wife happened to be standing behind me when I read this and she says "that is exactly what I am afraid of with you". So I got it now. Lots to learn with the surf wake. Does the trim plate help with surfing? Lucky we are all regular foot & any goofy will just have to adapt of not surf. I sort of thought that about the sticker. I was planning on putting 250 pounds of lead in each port side, star board & bow then just run 750 pound sacs in all 3 places. Any advice on that?

beat taco
02-10-2013, 01:32 PM
Bergermaister has the same boat dialed with a great wave. I would copy his setup as much as possible. I run 3400lbs. of ballast in my very similar boat with no issues.

bergermaister
02-11-2013, 12:41 PM
I have 1100's in each rear compartment that get about 90-95% full. Typically only fill the surf side and leave the opposite empty. Although I would like to experiment a little more with adding weight on the opposite - every other time I've tried it seems to wash out the wave too much.

Run a 750 in the basement, and lately I've been putting another 400 right in front of it under the playpen seating since last summer BooneJeepin and I discovered this hull likes a lot of weight in the nose.

If I don't have enough human ballast I will add another 400 on the surfside (regular), preferably on the floor because on the seat blocks access to the cooler :eek: Only have one goofy rider usually so we make her go last but the setup is basically the same, just harder to get every sitting on the side with no seat...

I've toyed with finding some lead to go in the compartments or possibly alongside a bag but haven't found any around here to play with yet. I think common sense keeps me from pursuing it.

Bottom line is this hull seems to prefer to lean hard.

racer808
02-11-2013, 02:18 PM
I have 1100's in each rear compartment that get about 90-95% full. Typically only fill the surf side and leave the opposite empty. Although I would like to experiment a little more with adding weight on the opposite - every other time I've tried it seems to wash out the wave too much.

Run a 750 in the basement, and lately I've been putting another 400 right in front of it under the playpen seating since last summer BooneJeepin and I discovered this hull likes a lot of weight in the nose.

If I don't have enough human ballast I will add another 400 on the surfside (regular), preferably on the floor because on the seat blocks access to the cooler :eek: Only have one goofy rider usually so we make her go last but the setup is basically the same, just harder to get every sitting on the side with no seat...

I've toyed with finding some lead to go in the compartments or possibly alongside a bag but haven't found any around here to play with yet. I think common sense keeps me from pursuing it.

Bottom line is this hull seems to prefer to lean hard. Yeah hell I am not going to be able to do that. Sadly all I can do & I plan to do for now is 250 pounds lead in each of the 3 areas. Then two 750's in the rear & I want that bag that hides underneath the bow & that 400 pounds in the locker. Should get me close to your set up for now. Getting closer & closer today, just little hang ups on what the bank wants but should be good to go shortly!!!

bergermaister
02-11-2013, 04:28 PM
Remind me - Does this boat come with any ballast bags or are you adding them?

racer808
02-11-2013, 04:48 PM
Remind me - Does this boat come with any ballast bags or are you adding them?
No ballast included. Guy has not gotten back to me at all. He better have not sold it out from underneath me! I am rather concerned, he has been pretty responsive now just nothing & I need papers if we are going to move forward. I have no patience however.

Does yours have the wake plate? Does that help to shape & clean up the wake & surf wave?

Also, I keep reading paddle wheel perfect pass is better then GPS but GPS is easier to install. Any thoughts on that?

racer808
02-11-2013, 04:53 PM
Yep well guy just texted me and said boat was sold. this sucks

jpetty3023
02-11-2013, 05:04 PM
Yep well guy just texted me and said boat was sold. this sucks

ouch, sorry to hear the bad news. good news is something just as good or better is right around the corner, just gotta find it

sent from my home phone

bergermaister
02-11-2013, 05:08 PM
Ahh damn. That bites. I know that feeling.

Keep hunting - there's one out there with your name on it!

racer808
02-11-2013, 05:11 PM
What a dick, I had a purchase agreement in my hand, dated prior to him selling it, I should sick my lawyer on his ass just to be a dick. If you guys can find any nice ones under 25k please let me know, I am ready to buy

bergermaister
02-11-2013, 05:41 PM
I'm guessing Vinnie is a tall guy...
https://www.onlyinboards.com/Details.aspx?ID=34584

txnight
02-11-2013, 05:43 PM
Racer, sorry you got screwed out of the deal. Must have been for the best.

I will keep my out around here.

Bill

racer808
02-11-2013, 06:17 PM
I'm guessing Vinnie is a tall guy...
https://www.onlyinboards.com/Details.aspx?ID=34584 Well hell, thats nice! Kind of far but I'm calling the guy

jpetty3023
02-11-2013, 07:27 PM
What a dick, I had a purchase agreement in my hand, dated prior to him selling it, I should sick my lawyer on his ass just to be a dick. If you guys can find any nice ones under 25k please let me know, I am ready to buy

karma is a beach!!! what goes around comes around so the seller will get his in the long run, keep a positive attitude and continue your search. use your resources on finding a new boat not playing eff eff games with dude. looks like some leads have already presented themselves, good luck and enjoy the hunt

sent from my home phone

beat taco
02-11-2013, 08:42 PM
http://portland.craigslist.org/clc/boa/3608925090.html

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/boa/3604680452.html

The '01 is 17.5k not 20!

bergermaister
02-11-2013, 09:00 PM
Nice find Jake.

Racer- that Portland boat has been for sale for quite a while now. Dropped a few thousand since it was first posted. Be MORE THAN HAPPY to go scope it out for you!

racer808
02-11-2013, 10:40 PM
Nice find Jake.

Racer- that Portland boat has been for sale for quite a while now. Dropped a few thousand since it was first posted. Be MORE THAN HAPPY to go scope it out for you! That Portland one is nice. I am not sure how I could make the numbers work though. Shipping would be an easy $1,500.00+ Not sure I want to insult the poor guy if I tell him 22k since I gotta pay that much in shipping. What are your thoughts Berg? I actually found a decent Malibu but it is ugly orange which is why he can't sell it but it has all the bells & whistle as well. Not sure I wanna spend that much on a boat that is good & all but the family can't stand looking at it.

wolfeman131
02-11-2013, 10:59 PM
Stay patient & keep looking. You don't want an ugly boat. If/when you go to sell, you will have the same problem as the current owner.

Don't be afraid about insulting the guy in OR. Send Berg out & he'll know your serious, then maybe he'll help make it work for you.

jmvotto
02-11-2013, 11:00 PM
Racer that blows on the 2001 mob v getting sold out from under you. What comes around goes around!

where you located? I may have missed it early in the thread.

racer808
02-11-2013, 11:08 PM
Racer that blows on the 2001 mob v getting sold out from under you. What comes around goes around!

where you located? I may have missed it early in the thread. I am beautiful Colorado. I can understand getting sold out. But having a Bill of sale, paperwork into the bank the banker already expressing concern about me not seeing the boat first then when she asked for a photocopy of the title he texts me 4 hours later & says he sold it over lunch. So now not only do I not have the boat, I look like a moron to my banker who I am wondering if I should even bother trying another boat with or just cutting my losses.

racer808
02-11-2013, 11:11 PM
Stay patient & keep looking. You don't want an ugly boat. If/when you go to sell, you will have the same problem as the current owner.

Don't be afraid about insulting the guy in OR. Send Berg out & he'll know your serious, then maybe he'll help make it work for you. Thanks man, maybe I will do that. I'll the toss the guy a call & see if it is worth pursuing.

racer808
02-11-2013, 11:14 PM
Nope, he's firm at 26k & says he will get 30k in a few months. Times must not be as hard as his listing says.

wolfeman131
02-11-2013, 11:24 PM
Nope, he's firm at 26k & says he will get 30k in a few months. Times must not be as hard as his listing says.

Dude must be on a bender.

We'll help find you something. Don't worry about your banker. She wants your $$.

jpetty3023
02-11-2013, 11:27 PM
how far away from Co you willing to look/buy/pickup/deliver

sent from my home phone

beat taco
02-11-2013, 11:33 PM
Where in Colorado? I've done my share if road trips to Gunnison. Just curious how far from Oregon you are.

racer808
02-11-2013, 11:40 PM
Guy seemed annoyed it was an out of state call to begin with but whatever. You know we kind of said 8-10 hours away and was hoping some would meet in the middle. What's the concensus on single axle trailers? Seems lots of lsv's have single axle trailers. I've always thought over 20 feet its dangerous on a sngl axle? Saw a 96 natique super sport with new motor all new interior loaded for 19k. Seemed kind of high for the year, but its actually kind of nice. Hate to pay taxes and fees but I'm starting to a dealer will be less hassle. Buying a boat site unseen is proving to be a real pain in the ass.

I'm in Denver. Gunnison pretty area. Maps say I am 1200 miles from Portland.

racer808
02-13-2013, 10:20 AM
I've been talking to Vinnie with the 05. He said its been salt water 3 times. I've always read to run. His add says it has fresh water flush. Are two related? Orleans is far but I like his boat, in the pictures anyway.

racer808
02-13-2013, 10:47 AM
http://portland.craigslist.org/clc/boa/3608925090.html

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/boa/3604680452.html

The '01 is 17.5k not 20! I've been talking to the guy with the moomba in SF. Boat has no upgrades, no PP, no stereo, no ballast. I was gonna offer him 16, see I can get it for 16.5 or 17k. You think that is too low or realistic?

wolfeman131
02-13-2013, 10:56 AM
Don't take this the wrong way, but I find your user name very appropriate. You seem to be "racing" from boat to boat and willing to make a lot of concessions based on what is on the market today. Pick out what you want such as PP, stereo, ballast and wait until the right one comes along. Don't stress as it will happen.

Why don't you start a new thread in the classifieds that is a Wanted To Buy (WTB) and list out what you're looking for. Year, model, options, price and distance from home. Not only might folks who are looking to sell find you, but the guys here might be better able to help you out.

racer808
02-13-2013, 11:07 AM
Don't take this the wrong way, but I find your user name very appropriate. You seem to be "racing" from boat to boat and willing to make a lot of concessions based on what is on the market today. Pick out what you want such as PP, stereo, ballast and wait until the right one comes along. Don't stress as it will happen.

Why don't you start a new thread in the classifieds that is a Wanted To Buy (WTB) and list out what you're looking for. Year, model, options, price and distance from home. Not only might folks who are looking to sell find you, but the guys here might be better able to help you out. Well yeah, not only are we a motocross racing family, I am a deal seaker & am flexible on options depending on the boat. I don't mind installing PP, a stereo, ballast as well as I don't mind paying more for a boat with all those things. Travel for the right deal becomes fun as well.

About the salt water & dual axle trailers though, anyone?

wolfeman131
02-13-2013, 11:19 AM
I don't like the thought of a boat that has been in salt water. You just never know how well it was cleaned up and the problems is caused can escalate.

I like the LSV on a dual, but plenty of folks carry it on a single. Sort of depends on your storage situation. If you're going to have to muscle it around in your garage, I'd go single. Otherwise, try and find a double.

jpetty3023
02-13-2013, 11:53 AM
I don't mind installing PP, a stereo, ballast as well as I don't mind paying more for a boat with all those things. Travel for the right deal becomes fun as well.

About the salt water & dual axle trailers though, anyone?

by time you buy a base boat and add all these options (plus some I'm sure your not thinking of right now) you might as well buy Brandos for 30k.

his boat is set up and ready to float. you said your budget is 25k but then talk about adding PP, stereo, ballast, and travel for a boat not equipped. I say begin a serious negotiation (in private) with Brando and scoop up his lsv before someone else does. don't think you can go wrong that route

sent from my home phone