PDA

View Full Version : Adding a Water strainer?

AL02REDMOBLSV
11-18-2005, 03:46 PM
While winterizing, I noticed that I had a few "things" in the trans cooler tube. There were a few weeds and somthing that I still have not identified. The wife describes it as "Nasty looking". Anyway, I want to add a water strainer that can be removed and cleaned with ease. Since I have an LSV, I would like to add one on the main inlet and have it accessable in the engine compartment. Does anyone have a good suggestion on one that they would/have used? The only important thing to me is that it is one that is easy to "pop" apart and clean before we take it out. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

qb12
11-18-2005, 04:05 PM
my water strainer is a attwoods and they are avail at either west marine or boater's world.

hope this helps.

doug, t-tulsa

ps 02 outback for sale

clark
12-06-2005, 04:17 PM
Mine was ordered from the factory. I really like it. Easy to remove and it is clear so you can see if it needs to be cleaned.

Clark

smokedog2
12-06-2005, 04:30 PM
Yea, I can get pix someday but mine is where you want yours. You access from under the back seat.

SD2

AL02REDMOBLSV
12-06-2005, 04:49 PM
Thanks for the replys they are helpful. I have been noticing that some of these aftermarket strainers have flow ratings on them. I have been told that our water pumps can flow 700GHP. What size inlets are on your factory strainers and what do they look lie? I have seen the ones that look like "pool" filters and others that look like house water pressure regulators. What kind is on the factory installed ones and what size are the inlets...finally what would you say the overall size is if you were to measure it "square". Thanks in advance.

JoeTechie
12-07-2005, 12:14 PM
more available here:

http://www.skidim.com (http://www.skidim.com/products.asp?dept=1006)

-J

pickle311
12-07-2005, 03:49 PM
my boat came with 2 strainers, 1 for the intake and the other for the intake on the ballast system. The main intake has a 1" inlet and outlet and it's prettly much setup like an oil filter. It just screws on. It's clear so you can see inside. I would say it's 3 inches round and probably 5 inches long.

kindog
12-16-2005, 02:28 PM
qb12 - I'm interested in your 02 Outback. Send me an email if you get a chance [email protected] and let me know what you're asking, boat details, etc...

Thanks!

qb12
12-16-2005, 04:27 PM
Kindog,

sold it as of yesterday.

heading your way on Monday to visit my mother and do a little skiing.