PDA

View Full Version : Z5 cargo style Bimini

wakemaker
01-31-2013, 06:58 AM
Gday from Down Under. Like a lot of guys on here, I love the look and functionality of the Z5 cargo bimini ..... just not the price tag. So here is my attempt at building one. It has all the functionality with the racks on the top, the swivel, the shade and solid construction, but not the pazaz. I built it out of 1" aluminium tube. To get the curve at the front of the bimini I scribed an arc on the floor at the radius I wanted. Then I nailed some timber blocks to the radius and bent the tube around the arc. I have access to a pipe bender so was able to bend and weld the rest of the bimini quite easily. As for the cover, well I cheated a bit in that regard as my wifes brand new bernina sewing machine is off limits. I had a local upholsterer cover the rack in heavy duty sunbrella.
As for the mounting, I simply bolted through the elongated tower tube and through the bimini itself with some 1/2 inch stainless bolts at the front which allows the bimini to pivot. The back is held in place much the same as the factory Z5, however I use two pins rather than the ball and socket system of the Z5.
My upgrades so far have included stainless cup holders, new non slip on the boarding platform, ballast upgrade, and basic stereo upgrade which I will post some details on in the near future. My trailer axle failed the day before New Year so I am in the process of upgrading my trailer from a single axle to tandem and will post some details on that once complete. Couldn't have happened at a worse time as 39 degree days C and no boat. I'm not sure what that equates to in degrees F.
A big thanks to all the guys who have pioneered so many of the upgrades on this forum. Thanks for all your help. Cheers

wolfeman131
01-31-2013, 07:24 AM
That's awesome! You have some great skills and that came out fantastic. Wish I knew how to weld.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

moombadaze
01-31-2013, 08:32 AM
that does look real good.

are those supra spinning racks I see

jpetty3023
01-31-2013, 09:12 AM
holy knockoff Z5...... sweet addition man , mad skills

sent from my home phone

ChrisK
01-31-2013, 12:16 PM
Awesome mod, I've wanted to do this for a long time, and I think it's going to happen this spring.

Think you could take more detailed pictures, especially of the mounting points?

kaneboats
01-31-2013, 12:19 PM
Very sweet! It looks factory. Gonna make your summers better. Wait, it's summer for you now, right?

Boonejeepin
01-31-2013, 02:09 PM
Great work!!!

bergermaister
01-31-2013, 02:23 PM
Wow - nicely done. Makes me wanna go out and learn to weld aluminum!

Riding23
01-31-2013, 04:46 PM
since I can't weld... whats your price on of those badboys shipped out to NV hahaha

chawk610
01-31-2013, 05:31 PM
Seriously crazy skills. If you are shipping, I'm in Texas!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

jpetty3023
01-31-2013, 05:38 PM
Seriously crazy skills. If you are shipping, I'm in Texas!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

send 2 and ill split shipping costs with ya!

sent from my home phone

wakemaker
01-31-2013, 07:09 PM
Thanks for the positive feedback guys. Daze, yep thats the supra swivel racks you see there. They were a steal on ebay I couldn't resist. I had to make up some mounts to suit and I would like to make a back plate more similar to that of the moomba ones to replace the big supra ones just to keep it a little more factory. I will take a few pics of the front and back mounts for those of you who are interested.
Would love to help you guys out with some racks, but not to sure how Z5 would view that!:confused:
Kane yep we're in the middle of summer out here now so goin to love the shade!

jpetty3023
01-31-2013, 07:37 PM
I would think Z5 wouldn't have a say in the matter!! Get to producing wakemaker.....

sent from my ipad2 via a wireless network which usually sucks

wakemaker
02-02-2013, 09:16 AM
Ok, sorry it took a while, but here are some pictures for any of you guys who are interested in the mounting setup. As you can see from the pics the front is held by a 1/2" bolt on each side with a spacer between the bimini and the oval tube on the tower. The back is held in place by the setup I found in the local boat shop. As you can see in the pics it has a pin you can pull on each side to lower the back of the bimini to have access to whatever is up on top. I'm pretty sure over there in the States you can get the ball and socket attachment the same as the Z5 which would be a bit better. I just didn't want to spend the extra money having one shipped out. I also attached a small flexible spring on one end to the stainless tube supporting the bimini and the other end to the pin so that it doesn't end up in the water.

kaneboats
02-03-2013, 11:31 AM
Nice pics. Looks like a pro install. Gonna be lots of fun.

motosno963
02-20-2013, 11:24 PM
if anyone makes one state side let me know..im 6'2" and im to tall for my bimini haha

freeflydenny
04-01-2013, 07:57 PM
What did you use to weld the aluminum??
I have a mig welder with argon/c02 setup but I don't think that will work. I have only done metal work.
Ive been wanting to build a similar one of these but was gonna use conduit being that I can weld it.