PDA

View Full Version : Crushed

jpetty3023
01-30-2013, 11:16 PM
well after years and years of practicing and playing baseball, countless hours of practice and driving time, numerous trophies and accolades, thousands and thousands of dollars on equipment, camps, teams, etc my son just finished up with his 3 day try out for the high school baseball team and didn't make the final cut. can't wrap my head around how this happened or what is next.

besides boating, baseball is the strongest bond my son and I have. all his friends, most of which I know and have coached or played with made the team. all our family friends are baseball related because we all spend so much time together with baseball activities. I could go on and on!

baseball season is just around the corner and for the first time in 10 years I won't see him on the field.....UUGGHH

sent from my home phone

mmandley
01-30-2013, 11:19 PM
IM sure there is leagues that arnt from the school no? I mean when i was in military school we didnt have sports, but i played baseball and soccer for years. Just played on a little league team and then a jr league.

jpetty3023
01-30-2013, 11:33 PM
City ball stops at 14, he hasn't played league ball in years thou. Been on select teams for years but at the high school level it's not really feasible to play select if your not on your high school team. Waste of 1200 bucks a session for your kid to sit the bench while his buddies from the high school team compete. Looking like his playin days might be done

sent from my ipad2 via a wireless network which usually sucks

jmvotto
01-30-2013, 11:52 PM
Jason, sorry to here that. How is your son taking it? Gotta be rough, especially after that many years of ball at tht level..

Tough one...

jpetty3023
01-31-2013, 12:04 AM
he trying to be tough but his eyes have watered up a few times tonight. his first lesson of failure in his young life. learning moment I guess

sent from my home phone

bergermaister
01-31-2013, 01:30 AM
That's a tough one Jason. I'm sure he knows you're a proud papa no matter what.

Maybe a little boating time is in order...

zabooda
01-31-2013, 02:49 AM
Find out what his weaknesses are and see where he can get some help. No different than school or a job. He can come back next year even more determined to earn a position. It a valuable lesson and not to stop working to be the best.

wolfeman131
01-31-2013, 07:31 AM
Great advice from Z. We've all heard how Jordan was cut from his HS BBall team. This will be a great test for him and also let him find out who his true friends are. Hopefully, they will invite him to come to the games and he will want to go. It will be a huge change and change is very difficult, but he will be be fine with your support.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

rca
01-31-2013, 09:39 AM
I'm with Z on this one too. I'd really think about staying with the select team too, even if he's not playing. It keeps him around the game, and his friends, he can practice and really focus on continuing development and you never know when opportunity will strike. Sadly there are lots of injuries at the high school level in baseball and that is all it takes to open a door for somebody else.

I've got a sophomore who played softball and a junior who played soccer (both girls), but you'd be surprised how much the makeup of the team changes each year. Coaches do watch the select teams too.

Did he get any feedback from the coaches? Are they crowded at his position?

Hope you guys are doing well.

Ron

mmandley
01-31-2013, 09:49 AM
Jason, like Ron is saying to stay at the games, maybe he can still work with the team at practise. Even if its just gethering gear, helping throw to one of the players. Maybe he needs to sit with the coach and say he wants to help how ever he can and if there is some possibility to get back on the team if someone has to drop hes a shoe in then.

Also whiles hes at it, get some feed back from the coaches. Maybe go the route, of Hey Coach, i didnt make the team and im ok with that this time. What can i work on to be a better player and help me make the team next year. i love baseball and im not willing to give it up, i just know that this time i droped the ball and i want to be better next year.

brtwlbrn5
01-31-2013, 10:39 AM
Jason,
I don't really post much but I came across this thread and felt like I could give your son some advice. I played high school and select ball growing up and played 3 years in college, 1 at a Junior College and 2 years at the University of Arkansas. The first question I think your son should ask himself is does he want to play in college. If he doesn't, then select baseball would be a waste. If he does, then he should continue to play select baseball and travel to as many showcases as possible. Neither myself nor any of my friends that are still playing were recruited from their high school games, so high school baseball is not that important. To be honest, college coaches think high school baseball is a joke. Where I was recruited were the showcases that my select teams went to, as well as individual showcases put on by MLB and college teams, things like Area Code.
Also, I would definitely tell your son not to give up. I played with a lot of guys who were late bloomers. If he wants any kind of pointers on baseball or the recruiting process, I'm always willing to help.

Brett

E4NASH
01-31-2013, 10:40 AM
Jason, you know Michael Jordan didn't make his JV team in HS right?? That turned out pretty well for that guy. There is always next year, just keep him positive and have him use this as motivation to come back and kill it. It's an extended offseason for him that's all. It's not over...the offseason is where ballers are made!

*edit* I agree with what Brett said above. The same goes with basketball. AAU ball is more important to getting noticed by recruiters so I would think the same would be for baseball with select teams. The scouts see you at showcases and tournaments. That is where you get the most exposure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jpetty3023
01-31-2013, 10:41 AM
the head coach met with each player individually yesterday one at a time. my son told me "coach said my defense was weak". i couldn't really get much more info out of my boy. not even for sure if that's what coach told him or if that was the full extent of their meeting. I think he went in to the try outs like he already had a spot on the team. played cocky with no hustle and a little show boating maybe and coach knocked him down some.

I've been the driving force behind his private lessons and other baseball activities and am now questioning if I pushed to hard and took the fun out of the game. I've been overly nice to him since last night but normally I'm pretty tough on him when it comes to ball, that's how my dad and coaches were with me growing up so it's all I know. I am starting to question myself. so much so that I'm thinking about stepping away from my girls softball stuff and just attending the games. don't wanna ruin the game for them to!!

sent from my home phone

KG's Supra24
01-31-2013, 10:49 AM
Solid advice from the newb Brett. Ha.

I like the approach of determining what he wants in the future. I spent a TON of time at the ballfields knowing I had little interest in playing at the next level. I wouldn't say I regret it as I enjoyed it, but looking back, it is time that I could have spent doing something else.

wolfeman131
01-31-2013, 11:00 AM
it is time that I could have spent doing something else.

Like what?

We know our kids have little chance of being college-level athletes (due to my genetics), but we like that they are outdoors and active vs veg'ing out in front of the TV and/or running around and finding trouble.

However, in today's world, the friggin' cost of some activities is out of control. Petty mentioned the $$ he has dropped on baseball. We do the same with gymnastics and, unfortunately, it's time for them to decide between activities as I can't justify the coin being spent on everything.

jpetty3023
01-31-2013, 11:00 AM
Solid advice from the newb Brett. Ha.

I like the approach of determining what he wants in the future. I spent a TON of time at the ballfields knowing I had little interest in playing at the next level. I wouldn't say I regret it as I enjoyed it, but looking back, it is time that I could have spent doing something else.

I'm starting to think my boy is thinking the same way. would never in a million years have thought that but his actions here lately make me think he's not all that interested in playing. not gonna push it down his throat, he's a big boy and can let me know what he wants to do.

looks like ill be saving a ton of money that I can now throw into the boat. TX Jam looking more like a go than a no go now to

sent from my home phone

KG's Supra24
01-31-2013, 11:15 AM
Like what?

We know our kids have little chance of being college-level athletes (due to my genetics), but we like that they are outdoors and active vs veg'ing out in front of the TV and/or running around and finding trouble.

I was coming more from the approach of adjusting focus, not necessarily losing it. I completely agree the new found time shouldn't be spent vegging out. I would have spent more time on the water, around cars, or getting experience in an industry I wanted to work towards. Things I would carry into and past the college level.

My perspective comes from me continuing to play ball after I had lost interest just so I didn't disappoint the parents. I got out of select team ball but continued to play high school ball and I'm certain by the time I made it to my senior year, the guys who were serious were over me bc I just didn't care at that point.

I'm not pushing quit by any means. Just giving another side.

tarheelskier
01-31-2013, 11:16 AM
Lots of real good advice here, Jason what grade is your son in?

jpetty3023
01-31-2013, 11:27 AM
He's a freshman sir

jpetty3023
01-31-2013, 11:31 AM
Thanks for your post Brett. I'm gonna have my son read this thread I think when he gets home. His private coach is a collegiate coach who played ball at the minor league level. He's next in line to take over a pretty dominate TX college program and has already made comments off line regarding my sons future in the game. That's why this is such a shock. KG's post may have hit home the most thou and more than likely that's what's going in in my sons head

kaneboats
01-31-2013, 11:57 AM
Sounds like he's gotta make a commitment or let it go.

FYI, a little story: My oldest daughter always wanted to be a cheerleader. She did not have any gymnastics growing up. She played soccer (poorly) and then softball (was OK but not good). She tried out for middle school cheerleading and dance and didn't make either. She got to be a majorette and learned some dance. She kept trying out for cheerleading every year and not making it in 6th, 7th, 8th and freshman year. She went to a private gym and worked on gymnastics skills. By the time she was a sophomore and trying out for the squad for her junior year I was telling her that "they don't take new girls who are juniors; it just doesn't happen." Well, guess what? The work paid off and she made it. She had to cheer JV as a junior while most of her friends and lots of younger girls were on varsity. But, she went on to cheer varsity as a senior. I was so proud of her for knowing what she wanted and putting in the work over a period of years and not taking "no" for an answer.

If I have one thing to say to your son it is that, if you know what you want, GO GET IT! Never give up. But, you have to decide for yourself if you want it. If you do, work for it every day.

jpetty3023
01-31-2013, 12:04 PM
That's a great read Kane. Thanks for sharing and inspiring

wolfeman131
01-31-2013, 12:07 PM
We're on the same page. Gotta have the kids focused on something or all they will find is trouble.

Petty, you're in the mecca of wakesurfing with a lot of local competitions this summer. Get that boy geared up!

rca
01-31-2013, 12:10 PM
One more (maybe a few) thoughts. I've got two girls in high school and what they are involved in now as a sophomore and junior is nothing like what I would have expected going into their freshman years. Just sort of goes to show how much they are changing and finding new avenues and interests.

Both went into high school playing in the band and loving it. One of mine hated band once she got to high school and has now discovered a love of cooking and baking and is planning on going to culinary school. Never really saw that coming, but it is a passion for her so I'm supportive. My other daughter was a softball player and loved the band. She's now left softball behind, mainly because she did not like the coach and some of the girls on her team. She's now singing in the praise band at our church, considering ministry and wanting to be the drum major of the band. None of that is really a shock, but it could have gone different directions depending on her high school experiences.

One of my younger daughters friends was the poster child for softball. Select teams year round, private lessons, always on the all star teams, at nationals a number of times, pitcher, solid defender, quick, good hitter. Parents were founding members of some of the select teams in our area, ran most of them, coached, were founders of the athletic club at the new high school.........and she's not playing any more. Stopped all softball activities. She's a smart kid too and is now focusing on her academics, enjoying high school and planning on attending the University of Texas (smart girl). She's a great kid and you never know if she'll come back, but she's like a new person now my daughter says, so much pressure removed.

I guess all that to say I feel like in high school you've got to start the letting go process and letting them make their own decisions more. Just think, he'll be driving soon. Ugh, I feel your pain.

You are hitting close to home with a lot of us. We are right there with you.

Ron

kaneboats
01-31-2013, 12:11 PM
That's a great read Kane. Thanks for sharing and inspiring

Well, it ain't exactly RUDY but it ain't bad either. :)

bzubke1
01-31-2013, 12:36 PM
I grew up much like your son playing baseball year round all the way up until I was ready for college. I had an opportunity to play college ball and turned it down cause I was burnt out on baseball at the time, something that I regret all the time. So it may not be too bad that he gets a break now to really evaluate how much his heart is in the game. Another thing is, idk about his school but we always had a team manager or two that would be at practice all the time and come to the game and take stats and warm up pitchers. It would be a great way to show the coach that he really is dedicated to the game and willing to put in the work. However, I know at that age my ego would have prevented me from doing something like but it sounds like he has the talent so the coaches will eventually see that.

jpetty3023
01-31-2013, 12:42 PM
It would be a great way to show the coach that he really is dedicated to the game and willing to put in the work. However, I know at that age my ego would have prevented me from doing something like but it sounds like he has the talent so the coaches will eventually see that.

That would be great for him to do but like you said B, don't think his ego or pride would allow him to do that. In fact, I told him last night to go and speak with the head coach today about what further options he has im text him a little but ago and he said he didn't go talk to coach. I asked him why and he said " I didn't want to "

kaneboats
01-31-2013, 12:57 PM
It's unfortunate but these days kids have to start so young, get outside coaching, play in several different leagues and make a huge time and money (parents too) commitment to have a chance at anything. If you decide you want to play soccer in HS or basketball it's just too late. It's really unfair in a way. We burn kids out on their best sport(s) and deny them any opportunity to play other ones. I think we had more fun as kids just playing pickup basketball after school and sandlot baseball in the spring. Heck, we played tackle football all the time in the fields at the school. You never see kids doing this kind of stuff anymore. They are either wearing a uniform or playing a video game. Too bad. We lost something there.

wolfeman131
01-31-2013, 01:38 PM
That would be great for him to do but like you said B, don't think his ego or pride would allow him to do that. In fact, I told him last night to go and speak with the head coach today about what further options he has im text him a little but ago and he said he didn't go talk to coach. I asked him why and he said " I didn't want to "

give him the weekend to get his head back in it.

rdlangston13
02-01-2013, 04:19 AM
looks like ill be saving a ton of money that I can now throw into the boat. TX Jam looking more like a go than a no go now to

sent from my home phone

You know I was reading through all this and was but about to drop something aloft those lines and you beat me to it! Guess you can collect on those beers that I owe yah!

Sent from my iPhone

chawk610
02-01-2013, 01:05 PM
give him the weekend to get his head back in it.

Yep... and Jason, don't blame yourself. You are doing what Dad's are here to do.

Cody
02-07-2013, 12:06 PM
Jason, tell him to keep his head up and work hard and get ready for next season's tryouts. Hard work and determination will pay off.

I remember when I tried out for our high school here, there were a few of the 'daddy ball' type guys that kept telling me I would not make the team...long story short, I made the team and started every game. My Freshman - Junior years I played primarily Short Stop and occasionally 2nd Base. My senior year I switched over to 3rd Base, which I really enjoyed. It was tough at first moving from the 'field general' SS position, but I got used to 3B and really liked it.

I will never forget the night of my last game - I balled my eyes out after it knowing it would be my last real game.

Keep working with your son, I am sure he is a great ball player. Prove everyone wrong and come back next season! Don't let him quit on this.

Not sure what size school he attend or anything, but I was in the largest 5A school and there is nothing like playing ball 2 - 3 nights a week under the lights. Keep his dream alive.

Cody

jpetty3023
02-07-2013, 12:21 PM
Thanks for the motivational words Cody. He goes to a 5A baseball powerhouse school. He basically screwed off during try outs is the best way I can explain it. He has since tried out for a select team and has been accepted. Practice begins march 2nd and they will compete as a "major" team in all showcase tourneys. Hopefully the taste of failure will push him harder to succeed. It's still a very numb feeling thou not having him on the HS team.