PDA

View Full Version : Looking at 2002 Outback LSV

jnb0y
01-28-2013, 08:05 PM
I'm going to be taking a close look at a 2002 Outback LSV with 192 hours in a few days and was wondering if there is anything you experienced Moomba owners could tell me. Anything to look out for? Known issues? He is the original owner and its garage kept. He's asking $19,500.

I'm also wondering if this is the right boat to be looking at. My crew is a mix of long time casual slalom skiers (no buoys) and wake boarders looking to improve their game. Is this boat a good multi-sport boat?

KCMobius
01-28-2013, 10:23 PM
I have a Mobius 2004 V-drive and love it. The price looks to be in the right ballpark. That is very low hours for an 02 model. I would be asking questions about the maintenance. How are the seats/vinyl? Sounds lie a good boat for your purposes.

moombadaze
01-29-2013, 08:34 AM
that is a good multi sport boat, had a 03 myself

kaneboats
01-29-2013, 11:09 AM
Great boat. Can you post a pic or two for us? Low hours is usually a sign of one of two things. One possibility is it was kept inside, maintained and just hardly ever used (like the kids grew up and got busy and the use went down to nothing). The other is neglect. It broke or something and sat out and was just neglected because they didn't fix it. It should be very easy to tell which thing it is. If it's the first one, that's the boat you want. If it's the second one, you may still want it but get it at a huge discount and be ready to do some serious work (you'll end up spending just as much as you will on the nicer one).

jnb0y
02-01-2013, 04:18 PM
Thanks for the input. I'll be looking at this boat on Monday (Feb 3). From the sounds of things he has run out of time. His kids are school age and everyone is in some club sport. He says its garage kept and the pictures look like it. I tried to upload some pictures but it isn't working so hopefully you can see the pictures at the attached link. Its my first 'tow' boat but I've been around boats of all kinds my whole life so hopefully it won't be too hard to spot trouble.

I'll post up what happens next.

https://www.box.com/s/whzyxr83y57hc6pnxza2

EDIT: BTW, those pictures are from the ad.

moombadaze
02-01-2013, 05:10 PM
looks like a nice very clean boat.

jnb0y
02-01-2013, 08:37 PM
Yes, that was my impression of the pictures too.

I've been looking casually for almost a year at Malibu's, MC, Tige, all over the board. This one seems like one of the best values I've seen if everything is at it seems.

kaneboats
02-01-2013, 09:35 PM
Uh, buy it before someone else does. One thing about someone who's been watching for that length of time-- you know what's out there. This is probably THE ONE. Good luck to you.

jnb0y
02-02-2013, 09:50 PM
Agreed. And thanks. I think this one is the one and am sure I will buy it if everything is in order. It kills me to have to wait until Monday, but his schedule is full. Hopefully that means he isn't showing it anyone else ahead of me.

jnb0y
02-04-2013, 03:48 PM
Going to look at the boat in a few hours and I was wondering what everyone's take is on a test drive. Seems like a no brainer to do a test drive but the nearest place to test is is about 30 miles away and we will have to do it another day. Anyone have any suggestion that is fair to buyer and seller to hold the boat contingent on a test drive? I was thinking of offering the seller a deposit to take the ad down and consider it sold until the test drive date. Non refundable in the event of me not liking the boat, maybe figure something else out in the event of mechanical failure? This is all assuming everything looks good in his driveway, of course. He seemed open to a test drive when I talked to him as long as he knew I was serious.

I really don't know, I'm open to suggestions. Or would you guys just pay and tow away?

kaneboats
02-04-2013, 03:56 PM
Because of the age I'd want to test drive it. It's worth the extra effort. Set up a day to complete the test drive and the sale.

jnb0y
02-04-2013, 10:27 PM
The boat looks great! Didn't take a lot of pictures. I brought my mechanic along and he gave it a passing score for a driveway test. Gave him a deposit and balance due upon completion of successful test drive on Sunday morning. My mechanic is coming along for that one too.

Hopefully this time next week I'll be adding my new boat to a signature line!

Thanks for your input, guys. I'll post back what happens next.

jpetty3023
02-04-2013, 10:41 PM
sounds like it's coming along well

sent from my home phone

kaneboats
02-05-2013, 10:50 AM
Good plan. I'm sure it's all going to work out fine. Let's see those pics when she's in your driveway!

New Guy
02-05-2013, 11:17 AM
Good Luck bud! I love my 02.

jnb0y
02-05-2013, 02:27 PM
Can anybody with a 2002 LSV tell me where the OBDII port is on this boat? I'm thinking of bringing my scanner along. My scanner will show my live PID information from the ECM. Not 100% sure what I'd see but I thought I'd check for stored fault codes at least.

parrothd
02-05-2013, 03:31 PM
Can anybody with a 2002 LSV tell me where the OBDII port is on this boat? I'm thinking of bringing my scanner along. My scanner will show my live PID information from the ECM. Not 100% sure what I'd see but I thought I'd check for stored fault codes at least.

Is the boat EFI?

jnb0y
02-05-2013, 04:25 PM
Yup. 325HP EFI. I assume its a throttle body injection system.

New Guy
02-05-2013, 04:28 PM
No it should be port injected. I know that mine is. I'm pretty sure that the OBII port on a boat has a way different connector then a vehicle.

jnb0y
02-05-2013, 04:55 PM
It didn't look like port injection at first glance , but I might be wrong. I found a manual for the 2002 lineup and your boat comes standard with the MPI (ported, I guess). Even if its throttle body EFI, I am satisfied. I'll know for sure after the test drive on Sunday.

Bummer about the diagnostic data port. Moomba is using Indmar now I think, were they then? I tend to work on stuff myself and would like to be able to pull codes if applicable.

New Guy
02-06-2013, 05:45 PM
Yeah it is still an Indmar. I can run out to my boat and take a quick picture for you.

jnb0y
02-10-2013, 08:35 PM
Test drive went great. He brought his whole family and I brought 3 with me so we were 8 on board. Good test for weight I'd imagine. I did a slalom run with a 3/2 wetsuit so it was tolerable (50F air, 52F water). My buddy did a quick run on a wakeboard to see what he thought. No one in my party could think of a reason to talk me out of it so I have a hand shake deal with the owner. Banks are all closed today so we're going to meet tomorrow morning and wrap everything up at his bank. I'll be towing it home tomorrow afternoon. Getting a spare SS prop with the boat, has cover, new impeller, trailer tires are in good shape, and the bimini is pretty new.

I'll take a bunch of pictures when its in my custody and post them up.

mparker2997
02-10-2013, 09:13 PM
Congrats! Looks like you got a great boat.

bergermaister
02-11-2013, 12:27 AM
Contragulations!

Getting a spare SS prop with the boat

That will make a nice decoration on the wall. After having run one a few years I personally wouldn't do it again.

jnb0y
02-11-2013, 12:41 AM
Berg, have you struck stuff with the SS prop? They're pricey and they're rigid so I can see that as a down side in the event of an obstacle strike. Any other reason you don't like it? The prop on the boat is SS too.

bergermaister
02-11-2013, 12:49 AM
Yes actually - dead head under the surface that we never even saw in 10ft of water. Came across it just above idling but it took out all the running gear - strut, driveshaft, etc. The whole back of the boat basically jumped sideways. Had it not been a stainless prop there's a good chance that's all I would have been replacing. Well that and the rudder.

The prop had the least damage. Everything else was hammered. Only boats I see stainless on anymore are bass boats and the occasional I/O.

jnb0y
02-11-2013, 12:59 AM
Hmm....good to know. Maybe I'll keep an eye out for an opportunity to trade the SS spare for a brass or brass alloy prop.

jnb0y
02-11-2013, 11:10 PM
Its a done deal, the boat is mine and its in my carport. Everything went really smoothly. I'm stoked. Can't wait to get a warm day and take it out on the water.

jnb0y
02-11-2013, 11:14 PM
Oh, and here are a few pictures from today. Of course, I can't upload any pictures again so here is a link to my original image directory with today's pics added.

https://www.box.com/s/whzyxr83y57hc6pnxza2

wolfeman131
02-11-2013, 11:25 PM
Nice score!

bergermaister
02-12-2013, 12:45 AM
Good looking boat - and it matches the truck. Bonus!

kaneboats
02-12-2013, 10:25 AM
Very nice!

bbuhtz
02-12-2013, 10:37 AM
Nice clean looking boat. Score! Better pinch some penies for a perfect pass, it will save a marriage/relationship and it will be one of the best upgrades you could do at this point, specially if you see yourself getting into surfing.

jnb0y
02-12-2013, 04:13 PM
Everyone says that PP is good for your marriage. I'll be interested to see how hard it is for my wife to get somewhere in the vicinity of a good speed. I'm usually pretty easy to please. As for surfing, where I live my idea of surfing doesn't usually involve a boat. I think for now I'm going to focus on being stoked about my first real tow-boat. I'll worry about all the sport-specific extras much later. Thanks for everyone's input.

parrothd
02-12-2013, 04:36 PM
Everyone says that PP is good for your marriage. I'll be interested to see how hard it is for my wife to get somewhere in the vicinity of a good speed. I'm usually pretty easy to please. As for surfing, where I live my idea of surfing doesn't usually involve a boat. I think for now I'm going to focus on being stoked about my first real tow-boat. I'll worry about all the sport-specific extras much later. Thanks for everyone's input.

Just get the PP, it's the best investment you can make. Then anyone can drive the boat and it keeps everyone happy...Trust us, you get really spoiled with the constant speed but the driver has less to worry about. They just need to avoid hitting things and can still watch whats going on without having to look down at the speedo... :)

jnb0y
02-12-2013, 04:43 PM
I totally get it, PP is rad. I just need to catch my breath before I start shopping accessories like that. BTW, I have been on their website before, what system are people without PP buying and installing? Stargazer? What would this boat have come with new?

parrothd
02-12-2013, 05:27 PM
I totally get it, PP is rad. I just need to catch my breath before I start shopping accessories like that. BTW, I have been on their website before, what system are people without PP buying and installing? Stargazer? What would this boat have come with new?

Sorry forgot how much a new PP setup is..

You can go the stargazer route, my boat came with a "WakeBoard Pro 6.5 perfect pass" if you're handy I'd look for a used one or a new old stock one may be cheaper, http://www.perfectpass.com/?q=manuals they don't sell the older model anymore.

bbuhtz
02-12-2013, 05:30 PM

No I hear ya... a boat purchase is pretty heavy. I lasted about 1 month before I HAD to get PP (I put the Star Gazer Wake Edition in my Outback LSV). It was almost a must for me and it has worked flawlessly. PP even replaced a bad servo at no additional cost to me and also sent instructions on how to repair the old servo, pretty rad customer service! I was just trying to lead you in the right direction of one of the first upgrades you should do if you plan to do any type of upgrading.

jnb0y
02-12-2013, 06:57 PM
I'm here because I want opinions, no need to apologize for giving them.

My first priority 'upgrade' will actually be an extension on the bimini to cover the whole cockpit. My wife and I really like shade and even more so when the kids are on board.

jnb0y
02-12-2013, 07:00 PM
I forgot to ask, do all of your boats have cleats on the deck? This boat has no way to tie up to a dock other than wrap a rope around the tower or the ski pylon. Was this an option or something? Seller picked this boat out of a dealer's inventory so he got what he got. They never went anywhere with a dock so never worried about it. Seems strange to me.

bergermaister
02-12-2013, 07:32 PM
Yes - and if you add them, go popups or pullups and don't look back.

tarheelskier
02-15-2013, 10:48 AM
Congrats, good looking ride!

rdlangston13
02-15-2013, 10:58 AM
I forgot to ask, do all of your boats have cleats on the deck? This boat has no way to tie up to a dock other than wrap a rope around the tower or the ski pylon. Was this an option or something? Seller picked this boat out of a dealer's inventory so he got what he got. They never went anywhere with a dock so never worried about it. Seems strange to me.

My 08 didn't come with them either and Berg have good advice. Get the pull up

Sent from my iPhone