PDA

View Full Version : Boat Trailer

jntMobiusLSV
01-22-2013, 11:26 PM
We just purchased a new 2013 Mobius LSV at the Nashville boat show. The boat comes standard with a single axle trailer (spare tire and mount not included). We trailer our boat to a variety of lakes in TN, KY, and AL because we like to visit different lakes rather than keep it in a slip on one lake. Most of the lakes we travel to are less than 100 miles one-way but we do go to a couple of lakes that are about 150 miles one-way. I'm just wondering if the single axle trailer will be fine or if I should consider a tandem axle trailer instead? The boat dealership has told me the tandem trailer would be an additional $1,200.00 and $500.00 for a spare tire and a side mount (which I think is a little steep price wise for the spare/mount). Any suggestions from others that have a similar sized boat/trailer would be much appreciated. Thanks, Jeff.

jpetty3023
01-22-2013, 11:31 PM
welcome.

pics of boat?

I have a single axle and wish I had the double. sounds like you will tow a lot so if it's still an option I would go with the double axle. wouldn't waste my money on the extra rim thou, you can get that thru other means for a lot less money

sent from my home phone

jntMobiusLSV
01-22-2013, 11:35 PM
Thanks for the reply Jason. I'm still on the fence about the tandem trailer but am kinda leaning that way. I was thinking the same about the spare tire as well but may need them to weld the spare tire mount on for me.

moombacraze
01-22-2013, 11:37 PM
Jeff,

I have a LSV with the tandem axle trailer. I came from a boat with a single axle, that being said I will never own a boat with a single axle again. It tows so much better than the single axle and rides a lot smoother. I have to travel a little bit to get to my lakes and if you can afford to get the tandem axle trailer I would do it. By the way welcome to the forum.

moombacraze
01-22-2013, 11:39 PM
Regarding the spare I picked up a new rim and tire from discount tire and a bolt on spare tire mount all for under $200. I hope that helps.

jntMobiusLSV
01-22-2013, 11:52 PM
Thanks for the info Kurt. It sounds like the tandem axle trailer is the way to go, hands down. Only downside to the tandem axle trailer is it won't be ready until April and if the weather is nice here in TN we like to get out on the lake in March. In the long run though, it sounds like it's worth the wait. Thanks for the hearty welcome to the forum.

jntMobiusLSV
01-22-2013, 11:54 PM
I'll have to download some pics and add 'em.

yearround
01-23-2013, 12:27 AM
go tandem. absolutely. we are really looking at upgrade to the new LSV. congrats!

jntMobiusLSV
01-23-2013, 12:35 AM
Thanks. After reading a few of the responses I will definitely upgrade to the tandem axle now.

jntMobiusLSV
01-23-2013, 12:45 AM

Here's a pic of the boat. A couple of tower speakers will be added and I will likely upgrade to the tandem axle trailer.

volfo
01-23-2013, 01:20 AM
Is that the same black one they had at the boat show? if so, I can vouch it looks even better in person. I drooled while looking at your boat, but I didn't drool inside of it . . . if you are going to trailer it that much I would definitely get the tandem trailer. I almost had a blow out on the interstate with a single axel recently and that would not have been pretty. At the same time, if you are like me eventually you will settle at a lake because towing to Center Hill, Dale Hollow, even Old Hick can get pretty old pretty quick. Congrats on the new boat!

KG's Supra24
01-23-2013, 02:01 AM
Another vote for tandem. Possible blowout was the first thing that came to my mind with that much trailering.

Also agree on just purchasing your own spare and mount. Price it out but its likely less than 500 and can be added in an hour.

It looks like the single has upgraded wheels, might be a bargaining point on the tandem change?

Great looking boat!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

zabooda
01-23-2013, 02:07 AM
Tandem also with the trailering you plan to do. Cheaper now than later. Aftermarket wheel and mount will be much cheaper.

bergermaister
01-23-2013, 02:56 AM
Tandem for sure, and don't delay on picking up a spare right away...

http://i326.photobucket.com/albums/k414/grberglund/MoombaMobiusV/77bfb56c.jpg

wolfeman131
01-23-2013, 08:14 AM
nice looking boat! have fun this summer.

moombadaze
01-23-2013, 08:25 AM
another late vote for the tandem.

towed my 08 on a single for about 2 months till the dealer got my tandem in, what a difference in how it feels with the tandem. get the spare pronto too. this time around i had Boatmate install the spare and mount-nice and clean looking, on the 08 I just added a bolt on spare mount-worked fine with no issues at all. 2 things I will recommend-get the swivel tounge and the upgraded wheels, it just makes the whole package look nice when its sitting.

Nice looking LSV your getting

wolfeman131
01-23-2013, 09:52 AM
makes the whole package look nice when its sitting.

meh . . .

who wants to see their boat sitting?!?!? get that thing in the water!! :)

moombadaze
01-23-2013, 10:17 AM
meh . . .

who wants to see their boat sitting?!?!? get that thing in the water!! :)

True, nobody wants to see it sitting, but when it has to, at least is looks good. I still smile everytime I walk by mine in the garage.

kaneboats
01-23-2013, 11:14 AM
I tow 40 min. each way every week and about 4 hrs or so a couple times during the summer. I have a single axle. I put a spare mount on myself and bought a spare online for $120 plus free shipping. BUT, if I was towing any further I would have gotten a tandem. Sounds like everybody above agrees with the tandem.

Welcome to the forum. Love your new black beauty. Please share your on the water pics when you get some. Come on spring!

rca
01-23-2013, 11:50 AM
Do you remember where you got your spare? I'm shopping right now.

mmandley
01-23-2013, 11:59 AM
Do you remember where you got your spare? I'm shopping right now.

Hit me up on FB Ron, i think i got a spare rim i can ship you if you want.

KG's Supra24
01-23-2013, 12:07 PM
Don't think you were asking me but here is how I did mine ...

Mount
http://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Cargo-Control/Fulton/FSTC1000301.html?feed=npn&gclid=CMnr_9Xr_rQCFSWoPAodFUMA5g

and here is the wheel I bought (or close to it)

Wheel
http://www.etrailer.com/Tires-and-Wheels/Dexstar/AM20532.html

Cover so you don't know it doesn't match
http://www.etrailer.com/Covers/Classic-Accessories/052963753479.html

Less than $100 not including the tire. I picked up a tire locally so they could mount and balance.

I'll admit, it does look a little funny (nevermind the funny punks in the boat) when it has to be used ...

http://i1092.photobucket.com/albums/i401/kwgarner24/2011-08-13_11-10-21_592.jpg

kaneboats
01-23-2013, 12:16 PM
I did an ebay search and found a place like one of these:

http://www.easternmarine.com/14-15-and-16-Trailer-Tire-Rim/

http://www.trailerpartsdepot.com/items.asp?Cc=A%2DTW%2D15&parts=Tire+%26amp%3B+Rim+15+Inch+%28Bias+Ply%29+Lo ad+Star&iTpStatus=0&Tp=&Bc=

For my mount I got a cheapo one that you can't see behind the covered wheel. It was like this one:

http://www.harborfreight.com/catalogsearch/result?q=spare+tire+mount

The most important thing is the cover, which I got on ebay. It sits in the sun down here so it has to be covered or it will get destroyed. In fact, my cover is a couple years old and it's destroyed. I need a new one this season. I got a cheapo one and coated it with 303 but 3 seasons is still about it.

mmandley
01-23-2013, 12:30 PM
ID higly reccoment you start adding wheel locks to your current wheels, and spare tires. I know last summer it seemed i started seeing a lot of spare wheel thefts, and one guys trailer was on the ground with no wheels at all..

jpetty3023
01-23-2013, 12:33 PM
Harbour Freight or Tractor Supply carry the spare tire mounts also. pretty cheap and mostly universal. worth a look

sent from my home phone

patrick232
01-23-2013, 09:20 PM
Congrats on the new boat. Single axel under our 2006 LSV is great for parking at an angle in the garage. Over the past boats 2 had singles, 3 had tandems. If you one to check air pressure before trips single will be fine, if not get the tandem.
FYI if your heading to Norris we rent our condo out on it when not using it. We should be down the last week of March.

jntMobiusLSV
01-24-2013, 03:59 AM
Yes, it is the one at the boat show. We are really fired up and can't wait to get it out on the lake. I did decide to go with the tandem trailer but it may take a few extra weeks for it to get to the dealership. It's weird though how these new boats do not come with a spare tire or even a spare tire mount on the trailer. I mean they cost enough as it is then you have to pay more just for a spare tire and mount. Oh well, life goes on.

mmandley
01-24-2013, 09:45 AM
Yes, it is the one at the boat show. We are really fired up and can't wait to get it out on the lake. I did decide to go with the tandem trailer but it may take a few extra weeks for it to get to the dealership. It's weird though how these new boats do not come with a spare tire or even a spare tire mount on the trailer. I mean they cost enough as it is then you have to pay more just for a spare tire and mount. Oh well, life goes on.

Thats part of the Moomba keeping it a price point boat. They dont add anything extra unless you want it. This way if you have extra items from your last boat your not rebuying them. Moomba has a lot of A La Cart options so to speak.

jntMobiusLSV
01-24-2013, 11:04 AM
I have decided to get the tandem trailer. Thanks for the info.

jntMobiusLSV
01-24-2013, 11:05 AM
Ok, well that makes sense.

jntMobiusLSV
01-24-2013, 11:10 AM
Thanks. Yeah, the boat we had was on a single axle and it was definitely easier to maneuver to store it in the garage. That was one of the issues I was contemplating about with the tandem, but there is a local storage lot that is covered with a roof so I will likely store our new Moomba there if I have any problems getting it into our garage.

We have not been to Norris Lake yet but hope to make that trip this summer. If we do we may check into renting your condo though. Thanks for the info.

jntMobiusLSV
01-24-2013, 11:11 AM
Thanks for the info. I'll check it out.

jntMobiusLSV
01-24-2013, 11:12 AM
Thanks for the info and links to the tire and mount.

rdlangston13
01-24-2013, 12:53 PM
Anyone know about what it would cost to take the trailer to a body shop and have them weld the spare tire bracket on and touch the paint up?

Sent from my iPhone newtys droid killer using Tapatalk

wolfeman131
01-24-2013, 12:57 PM
no idea on cost, but that "touch up" part might prove difficult based on what others have gone thru when trying to repair after tire blowouts.

bergermaister
01-24-2013, 01:53 PM
Welding would be the easy part. Most shops (fabricator or machine shop) would just charge you by the hour and you are probably looking at 30min tops to prep and weld.

What's wrong with the bolt/clamp on? Mine has been on some long road trips but remains solid.

If you were seriously considering that route, I'd look at going even further and build an under boat - frame mount flip down style like Extreme trailers (Malibu) have. Pretty slick and out of the way until you need them.

rdlangston13
01-24-2013, 02:14 PM
Welding would be the easy part. Most shops (fabricator or machine shop) would just charge you by the hour and you are probably looking at 30min tops to prep and weld.

What's wrong with the bolt/clamp on? Mine has been on some long road trips but remains solid.

If you were seriously considering that route, I'd look at going even further and build an under boat - frame mount flip down style like Extreme trailers (Malibu) have. Pretty slick and out of the way until you need them.

i just like the factory look of it being welded. and no one can steal your mount if you weld it.

kaneboats
01-24-2013, 02:28 PM
Well, the Harbor Freight one will rust on there so it's just like a weld. :D

patrick232
01-24-2013, 03:00 PM
I ordered this for the last boat and need to for this one. All Boatmate needs is your VIN and they paint to match.

http://www.boatmateparts.com/products.php?catId=17&PHPSESSID=gb5vi7mmg0h3nvalhd8ec1ih26

After install you can destroy the threads and they will have a tough time getting that spare.

bergermaister
01-24-2013, 03:03 PM
Seriously - if you're going to spend the money I'd go this route. Use a padlock instead of a hitch pin.

http://www.extremetrailers.com/images/extreme_product_images/wheels-tires/db_51_Spare_tire_racks_0122.jpg

KG's Supra24
01-24-2013, 03:31 PM
I'm with Berg

kaneboats
01-24-2013, 03:38 PM
Looks like that one won't scrape at the ramp like some of them I've seen.

Boonejeepin
01-24-2013, 09:26 PM
My plan when in need of a spare is to call Berg or Mandley and tell them my location and ask that they quickly bring a new wheel and tire to me. Just kidding.

I like the under mount as well. Custom deal?

bergermaister
01-25-2013, 12:38 AM
Yep, the Extreme trailer I saw came that way.

Wouldn't be that hard to do. I mocked one up a few summers ago when I was redoing my fender steps and fixing a dent but didn't trust my welding skills at the time.

Starting these kinds of projects the day before leaving for a big camp trip doesn't help either.

mmandley
01-25-2013, 10:05 AM
Ive seen some Boat Mate trailers with the sprare in the front right under the bow. It makes ground clearence a little less if you are backing up hill into your garage or somethuing but looks really nice and out of the way.

Dave if you really want to Weld you might look into Blue Plasti Dip to paint again LOL.

Seriously i woudlnt worry about someone steeling the mount, ive never even herd of that, its the wheel and tire they want, and if yours is locked on then they will go to the next one most of the time. They arnt looking for a hard score they want it fast and easy.

bergermaister
01-25-2013, 10:53 AM
They arnt looking for a hard score they want it fast and easy.

I musta missed something overnight... Who's mom were you talkin about here?

kaneboats
01-25-2013, 11:36 AM
Starting these kinds of projects the day before leaving for a big camp trip doesn't help either.

But, that is exactly what my Dad would have done. About 10 p.m. the night before we would be scheduled to leave he'd be digging through boxes in the garage looking for some welding rods. I have a little of that but really try to have things ready 2-3 days out.