PDA

View Full Version : SA 550 Surf Video

dusty2221
01-21-2013, 01:03 PM
Looks like a solid wave to me

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=pcrKPzMPonM

mmandley
01-21-2013, 01:11 PM
Camera can do funny things LOL. They arnt saying how mcuh weight is in the boat, or how many people.

Also if you watch him cutting up and down the wave really isnt that big. Also pay attention how close he is to the boat all the time, hes pretty close.

Mind the type of board hes on, its not a traditional wake surf board, its more of an Ocean surf board.

Yes the SA can do surf, as well as almost any V drive on the market when you weight it.

The point is its not that good of a wave when you consider 90+K price tag.
For that kind of money you can get a fare supirior surf minded boat.
For 30G less you can get a seriously better surf boat and still be in the family.

jpetty3023
01-21-2013, 02:00 PM
I gotta agree with Dusty, looks pretty sick to me. I think that would work for my skill level and anyone else in my crew

sent from my home phone

mmandley
01-21-2013, 02:03 PM
I gotta agree with Dusty, looks pretty sick to me. I think that would work for my skill level and anyone else in my crew

sent from my home phone

Im not trying to chit on the SA, i love the boat, but i surfed that wave. Its not even as good and an LSV wave. If anything its comperable but even that is pushing it. I felt the LSV wave with a 750 in the rear and a 400 in the ski locker was just as good as the SA completly sacked with 7 adults.

kaneboats
01-21-2013, 02:12 PM
It looks pretty good in the video. I'll bet they will find a decent setup where that wake is passable. But, it may never have the surf wake of a properly set up Mojo.

jpetty3023
01-21-2013, 02:13 PM
Im not trying to chit on the SA, i love the boat, but i surfed that wave. Its not even as good and an LSV wave. If anything its comperable but even that is pushing it. I felt the LSV wave with a 750 in the rear and a 400 in the ski locker was just as good as the SA completly sacked with 7 adults.

sweet!!! that makes me feel great about being an LSV owner

sent from my home phone

dusty2221
01-21-2013, 02:22 PM
The vid catches a glimpse of the bow and you can see a half way full bow sack on top of the cushions.

FWIW - if I were in the market for an SA, it damn sure wouldn't be because I wanted a surf minded boat. I'd be looking at it for wake boarding, but this video would however demonstrate that it could throw a wave that with some additional sacks (like every other boat there is) could hold it's own when we were ready to surf.

Let's save the camera angle comments. 90% of the photos and videos on the web that we all sit and stare and and debate over are from the exact same angle. As keyboard quarterbacks, that angle is all we have to call the shot for comparing every single boat we talk about.

mmandley
01-21-2013, 02:29 PM
The vid catches a glimpse of the bow and you can see a half way full bow sack on top of the cushions.

FWIW - if I were in the market for an SA, it damn sure wouldn't be because I wanted a surf minded boat. I'd be looking at it for wake boarding, but this video would however demonstrate that it could throw a wave that with some additional sacks (like every other boat there is) could hold it's own when we were ready to surf.

Let's save the camera angle comments. 90% of the photos and videos on the web that we all sit and stare and and debate over are from the exact same angle. As keyboard quarterbacks, that angle is all we have to call the shot for comparing every single boat we talk about.

I agree with all that you say man i do.
I can say after seeing a lot of boats waves in person in the last year, not nearly all look as good in person as video makes them out to be.

Thats why its all advertising right LOL.

KG's Supra24
01-21-2013, 03:30 PM
Ya'll cray ... I'm sure the SA is fine to solid.

I can tell you one thing ... the wakeboard wake is a different level than any of the previous skiers models I have been on.

sandm
01-21-2013, 03:38 PM
I took that the sa was like the xstar- a world class wakeboard wave that can, when asked, produce a decent surfwave, but it was designed first and foremost as a wakeboard boat, and anyone that is looking for a surf-specific boat would be better off looking at a different boat. similarly that you don't really ever see people raving about the wakeboard wake behind an enzo. good, not great.

the waves look decent in the vid, but watching it on the intrawebs and actually seeing it and riding it in person are 2 different stories..
my .02 fwiw :)

bergermaister
01-21-2013, 03:53 PM
Unless the camera was mounted at water surface level and the dude riding was only 4ft tall it looks pretty good to me. What does great look like anyway?

For any power/speed hungry surf carnivores it's going to take something throwing a 6ft roller with a 20ft long sweet spot to be all giddy about it.

jmvotto
01-21-2013, 05:29 PM
Unless the camera was mounted at water surface level and the dude riding was only 4ft tall it looks pretty good to me. What does great look like anyway?

For any power/speed hungry surf carnivores it's going to take something throwing a 6ft roller with a 20ft long sweet spot to be all giddy about it.

Hell I would ride that wave..:cool:... I aint going pro and it will prolly push my fat Arse on a board and the boat itself is daBomb.....

mmandley
01-21-2013, 05:36 PM
Hell I would ride that wave..:cool:... I aint going pro and it will prolly push my fat Arse on a board and the boat itself is daBomb.....

You would be surprised how LITTLE push it really had. I rode it when i was 280 with my Soul Craft, and i was not impressed. I said before it will do it but its not great at it.

I was constantly on the nose of my board to keep it going and it was very easy to fall out of the pocket.

Now im no pro surfer eighter, but i have been behind some serious surf boats already and one with a Pro Level wave and its a completly different wave then the SA is throwing out.

Wake board, i didnt wake board behind it but the 3 guys who did the day i was on the SA450 said its by fare one of the best wakeboard waves they have ever been on. These guys were throwing down ticks, flips and 360s like the pros and even Dusty would be impressed with there riding skills, and from all the guys ive seen Dusty is one of the best looking riders with form and technique.

bergermaister
01-21-2013, 05:37 PM
Oh I completely agree. Just trying to think of it like an analogy to a "fast" car. How fast is fast enough?

KG's Supra24
01-21-2013, 06:01 PM
To be fair, did the SA have upgraded bags like most of the other boats you are comparing to? ... Upgraded above factory.

I'll admit when I rode (wakeboarded) behind it, the wake wasn't big and the boat could have taken way more weight. The boat planed and was instantly clean, though. Perhaps the surf is the same way and just needs more weight?

Hopefully there will be more on the water and we will see them get dialed in before they catch a bad wrap. Maybe you are trying to fool us and you really ended up with an SA :)

bergermaister
01-21-2013, 06:24 PM
With a white tower

mmandley
01-21-2013, 11:18 PM
KG, I really hope people can make it all they expect for a surf boat lol.

The one we took out had the hard tanks filled, 1100 laying on top of that, it was a long bag simular to the 400 style in the LSV and we had an IBS in the boat. It was saced out pretty decent, it basically did what the boats do when you weight them very heavy in the rear.

Wave was tall and short.

Now in that video they have a bag in the nose on the seats, and if they are running an IBS also plus another 1K in the rear that is very much a possible wave. Then again how often is the normal surfing family going to ballast out the boat that much to surf.

Maybe all the time IDK.

I just know the SA i surfed, the wave didnt look like that.

But its ok, I would love to see the SA excell as the next DO ALL Supra.

Of course this is what the Launch 21 is sopposed to be? I mean Brads Launch is totally pimp, has a killer looking wakeboard wake and its Surf wave is shorter and taller and thats the way Brad loves it.

I would prefer more nose weight in the Launch 21, to flatten that wave a little and make it longer but then again thats my preference.

dusty2221
01-22-2013, 12:14 AM
The 21v is known for its wakeboarding wake.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

KG's Supra24
01-22-2013, 11:02 AM
Your fish is growing bud ....

The one we took out had the hard tanks filled, 1100 laying on top of that, it was a long bag simular to the 400 style in the LSV and we had an IBS in the boat. It was saced out pretty decent, it basically did what the boats do when you weight them very heavy in the rear.

We filled the ballast up, apx 650 in the reat and roughly 900 in the nose for the goofy side. Awesome point to this boat, its so stable you can let people sit on the non surf side and it doesnt effect this boat as much. When you turn away from your surfing generaly you will flatten there wave and they fall out of the pocket. Not so with this boat.

Is it possible your views are now little biased bc you didn't purchase the SA?

Claudia was able to free rope the surf easily and this shows the boat is throwing a good wave. After her ride her comments were, " Its got Potential ". Honeslty this is a great thought because no way you will take a new boat of any kind and fill it then surf it and be happy, all boats require tweeking to get the wave the way you really like it.

I know if i had thsi boat for a weekend i could make a serious surf boat out of it. It wouldnt be as good as a Surf designed boat but i could do a lot with it.

Either way, all I'm trying to say is I don't think there is any reason for the SA to get a bad surf rep without someone getting in there and tweeking it, much like you mentioned originally. It could be a bad surf boat, I don't know, but it could also be solid once someone has time to play with it.

KG's Supra24
01-22-2013, 11:15 AM
The 21v is known for its wakeboarding wake.

Agreed, never heard anyone claim the 21v as an all around boat. It has always been known as Supra's go to wakeboat due to the consistency of the wake on both sides and not being as sensitive to weight.

I have seen it throw a decent surf wave though when doing a surf bowl. Can't seem to find the pic.

mmandley
01-22-2013, 12:10 PM
OK i did say this...The one we took out had the hard tanks filled, 1100 laying on top of that, it was a long bag simular to the 400 style in the LSV and we had an IBS in the boat. It was saced out pretty decent, it basically did what the boats do when you weight them very heavy in the rear.

I was wrong after reading my SA review again, I appologize for that.

I was in litterally 7 different boats in the span of a couple weeks and got confused to who had hard tanks and soft bags in them.

beat taco
01-22-2013, 12:27 PM
I thought he (MysteryMike) bought the Mojo when he said Active sold five at the boat show. I haven't joined the Tige forum to see if he's over there :) LOL

mmandley
01-22-2013, 12:37 PM
I thought he (MysteryMike) bought the Mojo when he said Active sold five at the boat show. I haven't joined the Tige forum to see if he's over there :) LOL

Nope that was 5 Mojos at the show. My boat i bought was at no show, Its not even in OR yet. Last i herd im waiting on the factory to ship it. Its sitting in a wharehouse somewhere.

beat taco
01-22-2013, 12:52 PM
Okay, they sold five they had on the floor? No one ordered anything :) ?

mmandley
01-22-2013, 01:13 PM

As of Sunday,
They had a Demo on the Black / Red with a pretty serious intent to buy
They had a deposit on the White on White
They had 3 ordered custom

I thought they sold the Blue and Black on the floor but when i went by last week they had it in the showroom.

moombadaze
01-22-2013, 01:15 PM

Boat bought/ordered, could have been at the dealer 2 maybe 3 days later, just sayin:confused:

beat taco
01-22-2013, 02:16 PM
Boat bought/ordered, could have been at the dealer 2 maybe 3 days later, just sayin:confused:

Hey it's a mystery!

beat taco
01-22-2013, 02:26 PM
As of Sunday,
They had a Demo on the Black / Red with a pretty serious intent to buy
They had a deposit on the White on White
They had 3 ordered custom

I thought they sold the Blue and Black on the floor but when i went by last week they had it in the showroom.

Takes you out of a Mojo!
Unless you got a demo from sc :)

mmandley
01-22-2013, 02:29 PM
Takes you out of a Mojo!
Unless you got a demo from sc :)

This the game? The powers of deduction? LOL

beat taco
01-22-2013, 05:06 PM
This the game? The powers of deduction? LOL

I joined the Tige forum :)
No SA, no Mojo. I knew I should have skipped wrestling practice and gone to the boat show that Tuesday night!

beat taco
01-24-2013, 01:41 PM
So I'm driving by Active this morning and I see a new boat where the G23 usually sits, as I get closer I see its got black and white...could it be Mandley's new wave maker? Spoiler alert!
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/01/25/sa9u7aqa.jpg

Hey, congrats bro! If you need help dialing in the system and ballast just hit me up on the PM! :)

kaneboats
01-24-2013, 02:41 PM
Need to look for one with a white tower-- unless that plasti dip stuff comes in white.

mmandley
01-24-2013, 06:51 PM
Need to look for one with a white tower-- unless that plasti dip stuff comes in white.

White Tower?
Yes Plasti dip comes in many colors now.