PDA

View Full Version : Vertical Lift vs Cantilever lift

smak
01-20-2013, 12:54 PM
hi all

have an 05 Outback. we just bought a cottage last year near Huntsville ON. thinking of getting a lift for the boat. been researching posts here and online. two well known companies in our area are Naylor and R & J Machine. both make a good product, but cannot decide which system is better. both are about the same money. it appears the vertical lifts 6ft and the cantilever only 4ft. the cantilever system looks a touch more complicated or problems down the road? can anyone with a lift advise any pros or cons to these systems? and or thoughts on manual or electrical power? thanks in advance smak.

maxpower220
01-20-2013, 02:17 PM
I purchased a cantilever lift. I have owned it since 2003 and have moved it to a different lake. The stresses on the cable are slightly less on a cantilever and when in the full up position (or close to full up/down) there is very little stress on the cable system. My fresh water lakes don't vary much in level, so that wasn't an issue.

I had a cable break and the failure did not result in any damage to the boat. I learned that you must inspect the cable, or more closely that I had done in the past.

Due to money constraints, I purchased a manual lift. While it is not hard, it's a lot of time/work. Spinning the larger wheel 100,000 times seemed to move the boat up/down 1". I later purchased a motor that spins the large wheel. No more effort, but it still take 3-4 minutes to go up or down. I chose a battery operated one because I did not have electric at my first boat dock. If I had it to do over, I would get a hydraulic. At very least, get some type of a motor. Cranking by hand is for the birds.

BTW, I bought a Hewitt. I know Shorelander and others are also popular. What ever make/model, make sure that you can get pulleys and wear items from them in the future.

Good luck

smak
01-20-2013, 09:14 PM
thanks for the info....smak

jmvotto
01-20-2013, 09:50 PM
I went vertical over Hewitt cantilever, smaller footprint and just a nicer direction to pull the boat up from.
straight up vs. up nd forward.

Always watch you cables , I did not realize that ss cables snap, they will, just keep a good eye out fr wear and creaking nd you should be good.

papou
01-20-2013, 10:40 PM
Before you make a choice a good point to check is the adjustment to the legs and pin location , some company's put the pin at the very bottom of the frame a pain in the a&$ when water is cold for removal ,some above water line which I have is awesome don't need to get wet to remove the lift .

mmandley
01-23-2013, 12:37 PM
I know a guy with this style lift. It used air sacs basically and lifts the boat straight up. Pretty cool, takes about 2 minutes of the air pump working.

http://www.boatlift.com/index.cfm?id=12

New Guy
01-23-2013, 06:43 PM
I don't think I would want an air bag system if i was on open water the waves would rock it way too much for my comfort. No in a marina that is a different story they are great in a situation lie that.