PDA

View Full Version : DVD burning

smokedog2
11-14-2005, 06:58 PM
I have some home movie DVDs I need to burn. Any Software recommendations?

I have Nero 5 and could og to 7

tx

SD2

zabooda
11-15-2005, 02:00 AM
I need to know the same as that is one of my winter projects. I like to find the software to add music and captions. I saw a home movie dvd made with Roxio that looked real good.

lowdrag
11-15-2005, 02:05 AM
Do you already have them on your PC or do you need to download them from your camera. If you've already got them on your PC, NERO is a great product to do the actual burning. If you need to download them from camera and want to do some editing, there are a lot of options out there. I use Pinnacle Studio 10 Plus and connect my camera via firewire. It's a great program - if you can get it to work. 10.0 is the newest version and is still very buggy. If you get it to work right though, you can make some very professional looking videos for a budget and the interface is pretty straight forward and simple.

There are quite a few programs out there for budget editing. If you're not into the editing part and just want to burn the video, NERO has a simple version included with it if you get the full program. It also has some other cool goodies like Recode 2, which will compress a full length DVD down to fit on a DVD R. This, however, only works on non-copyrighted DVD's unles you use certain unscrupulous methods to get around the encoding, not that anyone would ever do something like that.

NERO will also recode DVD video to run in the new MPEG4 format if you've got a DVD player that recognizes it.

I played with a Roxio burning program and ditched it after a couple of tries. It was even more unstable than the Pinnacle software I have. The good news about Pinnacle is that they've released the second patch and things seem to be working a little better, at least for me.

JoeTechie
11-15-2005, 02:28 AM
Yay, my kind of geek talk!

I agree with that reccomendation. I build professional video editing suites, and install some really high end stuff, and have found that Pinnacle studio can do a tremendous amount for almost no $, just as quickly sometimes. 9.5+ is pretty darn stable, and 10.1.1 (relesed last week) is MUCH better than 10.0.
If you want super cheap and cant afford the $99... you can get http://www.avid.com/freeDV/index.asp (Avid Express Free) Based on the AMAZING full Avid, but just stripped down.

I'm not a nero guy. I know it works well, and use it when needed, but lots of my friends work at Roxio, so I'm used to their suite instead. They have a VERY simple DVD creator that I have used a bunch when I just want a simple menu, and straight movie play. The new version has a full video editor as well.
http://www.roxio.com/en/products/emc/index.jhtml (Roxio Media Creator Suite)

Hope this helps,

Joe

smokedog2
11-15-2005, 04:23 PM
I went with Buy.com Nero. 78 - $20 upgrade - $35 rebate and free shipping.

Works for me

SD2

convo
11-20-2005, 01:23 AM
HELLO!!!!!! Is this a waterski/wakeboard boat site -or some geek A/V side show- what the heck is going on here - we have nothing better to talk about than DVD burning on a boat site?? PLEASE! lets refocus

smokedog2
11-20-2005, 09:25 PM
Water temp 46 deg.

Drop your butt in that and I'm sure you will focus - on getting out.

I start burning tomorow.

SD2

Buttafewcoe
11-21-2005, 03:26 AM
Now that's funny right there. Focus, I got to remember, focus!
:p

Will Watters
11-21-2005, 10:41 AM
I have been using Roxio for some time and I like it for what I do. I have a Canon MiniDV and link to the PC via firewire and then burn the video to disk using Roxio. I like the full suite version which has all the stuff I need. I tried Pinnicle and it was not very stable, then I tried Roxio and it was not quite as bad as Pinnicle. I found out this stuff needs lots of RAM. If you run with a 1/2 Gig, the s/w will likely freeze when using large files. I would suggest before getting any video software, get at least 1 Gig of RAM (2 Gigs would be better). And then make your software choice.

Will

convo
11-21-2005, 12:27 PM
There see - Buttafewcoe gets it. Why would I put my butt in cold water?? - I'm not the one who needs to focus. I am perplexed by your response. And just where is this 46 degree water?? Thanks for the info.