PDA

View Full Version : Floor separating...

jimmyd222
11-11-2005, 01:20 AM
Today I was doing some weekly cleaning on my 05 Mobius LS and noticed a crack in the floor. On the LS, coming back from the bow there are two cup holders, immediately after them, there is a drop of about 3 inches and then it meets with the floor. Well the floor and that 3 inch lip going to the cup holders is beginning to separate from each other.

Not really sure what to do. I am going to take it to my dealership next month for my 20-hour service, but didn't know if this was something that should not wait. I would drive there tomorrow, but it is almost 2 1/2 ours away from me and I really hate to loose these last few weeks of playtime for something that is not a serious problem. I have never seen anything like this before. At first I thought it was cracked gel coat, but it is definitely not. If I stood on the spot I could probably stick a toothpick in the hole. It is also the full width of the floor (6" or so). Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Also noticed a 3” or so diameter spider web crack in the gel coat on the right side of the pass through into the bow. I know this is a not anything serious, but just wanted to point this out. Not really sure if this is just some minor problems or a problem in the manufacturing. I’m a bit worried since I only have 12 hours on the boat and already have these problems.

Thanks in advance!

P.S. I can post picts if anyone needs to see it.

qb12
11-11-2005, 09:36 AM
jimmy, you should be fine for a few weeks. just really keep a eye on that front crack and see if it spreads.

i would also make a small mark with tape or something on the gel coat crack before you take it back out and see if it is growing with a little use.

i have been very lucky not to have any cracks in my outback.

i do think there will not be a problem getting the dealer to take care of it under warranty since it is new.

good luck.

doug, t-town

EUSTACE
11-11-2005, 10:05 AM
Are you running a lot of ballast and / or hitting a bunch of D-ups?

If you think the fiberglass can be repaired as is, consider finding a good body shop to get it done. Preferably someone that specializes in corvettes, these guys can usually work magic.

I had a stand-up jetski that I cracked the hull in doing some ocean riding, had it repaired by someone like this. Needless to say the area that was repaired was the strongest part of the hull.

regards, E

jimmyd222
11-11-2005, 10:30 AM
Thanks for your quick replies. I will add some tape to the gel coat crack and see if it spreads and I will keep an eye on the fiberglass break to see if there are any problems.

As for use, I do use the ballast tanks, but don't hammer down going through the d-ups. Thanks for the tip on the Vette shop. If I have any problems that the dealership cannot fix I will look for one.