PDA

View Full Version : INJURIES????

05mobiusxlv
11-10-2005, 01:40 AM
Late June I tore a muscle in my abdomen wakeboarding, that caused internal bleeding. After a month of pulling all my friends, i got back out, and kept having horrible pain in my neck. Had X-rays and numerous doctor visits. By October it was throbbing day and night, so I had an MRI, and i have a bulging disk. I'm 27 and my friend have made the nickname "gramps" stick. haha. Has anyone else received any good injuries this year from wakeboarding?

JoeTechie
11-10-2005, 03:16 AM
good injuries

???

Jumbo Shrimp ?
Meaty Vegetables ?
Dodge Ram ?

sorry, I collect Oxymorons.

I had a ski rope get pulled over the back of my ear last year - that one was "nice."
This year I was skiing back to my drop ski, and let go with a bit too much speed, and went to grab the ski and jammed my finger directly into it at about 20. It's been 3 months and I still do not have full range of motion back. Pretty minor comparred I guess.

-Joe

lowdrag
11-10-2005, 09:06 AM
I took a hard spill once that sucked my feet out of the bindings. As my head broke the surface of the water, I saw my board skimming across the water towards my face. The side of the board caught me right above the bridge of the nose and split me open. The guy whose boat we were using at the time was extremely anal about his ride (can't blame him I'm the same way). He saw me bleeding and told me I had to stay in the water and keep riding until the bleeding stopped so I wouldn't get any blood in his boat. :p

sextons
11-10-2005, 09:45 AM
Similar story here, set up for a tantrum, didn't rotate enough, body folded in half and the board smacked me right accross the face. Broke my nose real good and sliced my face up. Wife made me stand on the swim platform until I stopped bleeding, but she did hand me a towel, ice and a cold beer to help with the pain.

She came out of the board this summer and it wacked her right by the eye so she got a few stitched for that.

Yellowmobius
11-10-2005, 10:18 AM
Hey GRAMPS!!!

Last year I had the handle hit my wrist. Hurt REAL bad but I made a few more board runs. After that I figured I would keep it on beer from the inside and out. Next morning the boss (wife) made an appointment for the clinic. Turns out I had a fractured wrist.
This was all before you and I started boarding together.

I guess it was a "good injury" as I only had the cast on for two weeks. I had a weeks vacation planned, of course at a lake. It was a minor fracture.

Yellowmobius
11-10-2005, 10:19 AM
What are you going to do about that disk?

EUSTACE
11-10-2005, 10:23 AM
Two concussions over the last two years, 04 - I went in the water inverted with my back towards the rear of the boat. The result was dizziness for about at day, whiplash, and I blew both contacts out of my eyes on impact.

05 - was less severe then the previous, was just dizzy for an hour or so. But it did prompt me to get a helmet.

Yeah, I look like a dork but the helmet has given me some renewed confidence and I find myself at 38 charging into the wake like a champ.
;)

TheBeeZ
11-10-2005, 12:07 PM
My son (12 years old) has injured his ankle 2 years in a row landing bad. Same ankle, the doc says he will have problems with it for the rest of his life. I have 1 good face plant every year but nothing major.

stang67
11-10-2005, 10:47 PM
With the ankle injury, i had a couple pretty bad falls in 03 that caused a calcium deposit on the inside of my ankle, on a tendon. The doc said it was from spraining it too much. Even to this day it hurts. Not to mention right after i started riding again this spring, had to have my appendix removed. All this and im 19, I as well am always hearing jokes i am an old man.

Nafplio
11-11-2005, 12:49 AM
After 25+ years playing soccer ended up with reconstruction surgeries on both knees. So, I tried "safer" sports . Now, I wakeboard 4 months and snowboard about 5 months every year. Never felt better; injury free for three years now. Still wear a brace over my left knee when I ride. I wear a helmet snowboarding because it hurts so damn much when I don't. My wife wants me to get one for wakeboarding.
Faceplants are funny. They seem to happen in slow motion yet, they are so violent..

smokedog2
11-11-2005, 07:04 PM
Lake house for five years, boarding for three. The only injury so far (knock very hard on wood) was a guy falling out of the hammock. I always tell my son when he is bleeding and or in pain that that is a good sign, he didn’t get that way in front of the x-box.

My cousin the Marine (happy Veterans Day to all by the way) has a shirt that says “pain is weakness leaving the body.” I suggested an asterisk, “for everyone under 40.”

mseidelch
11-15-2005, 05:49 AM
Last year I hurt my ankle so I had to finish the season in August.
This year constantly had some "stiff neck" issue. Maybe due to 100+ crash landings trying the backroll, raley, ...
Here in Switzerland the season is over now. Took out the boat for winterization last week.

Buttafewcoe
11-15-2005, 06:40 AM
Only bad thing happened to me this year was a sprained ankle trying to wake to wake. I have to say, prolly would have had more, but all the beer we drank kept us pretty loose.:p
Butta

Swairlines
11-21-2005, 06:29 PM
Took a real good fall earlier this year..I caught an edge while on a slalmon ski. Hit the water at approx 35 mph directly and flatly onto the side of my head which promptly RUPTURED my ear drum. Came to the conclusion that I passed out momentarily because I dont remember much but coming to bobbing in the water. Didnt have much pain at first but as the day went on the pain became gradually worse. Pulled out of the water at approx 7pm. Walked into the local emergency department at 8pm and had a lovely 4 hour visit. What a day. Think I might invest in a helmet sometime soon.

Will Watters
11-22-2005, 01:51 PM
Tore my Achilles over a year ago, hope to finally hit the slope this season and get back into the water next year. Felt like a bat hitting my calf when it went. Took a trip to ER, quick diagnostic and under the knife the next day. In a cast for 3 months and splint for 2 more. My foot is still stiff and uncomfortable at times,

Swairlines
11-25-2005, 08:57 PM
Will,

YIKES!!! I bet that achilles REALLY HURT. Of all injuries that is probably one of the WORST, if not THE WORST. Hope things are OK with that ankle now.

Jeff

Aubrey
11-28-2005, 01:46 PM
I feel your pain! (I'm 36) Last summer was the first time I tried wakeboarding (I'm a slalom fanatic) and I was surprised how much pain was involved. I too tore my abdominal muscles the 3rd time I was out, but it was not quite as severe as you by the sounds of things. I sure hope that you were not in any more pain than I was, because I was sure at the time that it could not be any worse. I was talked into wakeboarding because of the slower speeds and a lie about how how you don't get hurt like in high speed shortline slalom. This sounded good to me because last July I had a horrible slalom crash... it was my third set before noon, and at 28'off @34 I broke at the waist accross the wake and the tip whent in on the other side. I woke up in the water a few minutes later but do not remember anthig until the ambulance arrived (approx. 45 minutes). A concussion and a torn rib kept me off the water for the month.

Can't wait to get back at it this spring!

Will Watters
11-28-2005, 07:58 PM
Jeff,

Yea, it did hurt initially, but after a few minutes, just a tingle and not much pain other than a low level aching. During diagnosis the Doc told me to press against his hand with the ball of my injured foot. Weird feeling, nothing happend when I tried to push agianst him.

I had fun pulling the kids this year, but I did not get to ski behind the new boat myself. Hope next spring I can enjoy it more with my oldest pulling me for a change. Will be off to the slopes for some snow skiing this week end for the first time since my recovery. It takes a long time to recoup and I still feel a little tingly nerve damage in my toes, I suspect it will never be quite the same.

Will

carsondoc
12-16-2005, 05:04 PM
Same as Swairlines. Ruptured left eardrum falling on the side of my head crossing the wake while slalom skiing. Took two months until I quit blowing snot out of my ear when I blew my nose! Nice! I'm investing in ear plugs.

Buttafewcoe
12-17-2005, 12:48 PM
One time, I got my feelings hurt when someone said I sucked at wakeboarding....:ž
B

smokedog2
12-18-2005, 12:15 AM
Were you at band camp?:p

SD2

Holtzy
01-18-2006, 12:38 PM
Had a great week-end going until some moron with too much beer decided to run me over while I was on the board.
9" long plate and 5 screws and 6 months later my leg is back to normal and I'm back on the board.
Last summer was a bi**h

Holtzy

Ian Brantford
01-18-2006, 11:13 PM
I took a hard sideways fall in early July, right on the leading edge of the wake that was supposed to be my down ramp. My head went sideways and I felt a "crick" in my neck. The moderate pain gradually went away over a few weeks, but now I've got chronic neuralgia (thankfully mild).

This happened on the exact day that my Cinch Neck Roll (http://cinchmax.com/_wsn/page3.html) arrived in the mail. But, I got distracted by all the new passengers and forgot to put it on. D'oh!

I now wear the Neck Roll, a watersport helmet with ear flaps (protects the eardrums nicely) and a siped wakeboarding vest (keeps those internal organs from bursting in a hard fall). Various incidents have engaged all of these bits of gear ar various times.

My buddy declared that helmets are new cool. I encourage you to believe him. :-) I used a dorky kayakng helmet last summer, but I'll switch to a ProTec Wake this year.

Oh yeah, I took a nice face-plant when catching the leading edge of my wakeboard during an otherwise mundane manouvre. It felt like my eyeballs were shoved somewhat back into my skull. Unfortunately, I got over it quickly, so there are no real bragging rights there.

Ian

05mobiusxlv
01-23-2006, 05:50 AM
Ian, or anyone else that know's about about this "neck roll", could you do me a favor and please describe this product to me? I looked at that web sight and it really didn't say anything about it.

Thanks in advance!

01-24-2006, 05:25 PM
The Neck Roll is basically a well-formed piece of dense foam that goes around the back and sides of your neck. An elastic rope crosses your chest and goes around your back. The rope is stretchy enough to go inside or outside of a floatation vest. You would have it on the outside of any wetsuit or drysuit.

It comes with a nice big disclaimer, denying that it will be of any medical or protective assistance. In fact, it doesn't do a lot by itself. However, if you combine it with a helmet, it very nicely fits just below the back ridge of the helmet. You can still rotate your head sideways or look down, but your head basically cannot be tilted much sideways or back. It is innocuous, and definitely gives me more confidence to try actually fun things.

Oh yeah... for those with injured knees, try hydrofoiling. Check out the thread on this forum entitled "sky ski -- too cool". User "Darren" rides with me, and he eventually bought a SkySki as a contribution after my boat purchase. Now it's all that he rides -- no more wakeboarding for him!!! I'll post the specs of the "correct brand and options" that he eventually found on a hydrofoiling group on Yahoo if anyone wants them. The purchase of a wakeboarding boat is of no waste here -- it's also the best type for hydrofoiling. You can jump anytime, but get more air going through the big wake.

Ian

Ian Brantford
01-24-2006, 11:35 PM
The Neck Roll is simply a piece of formed, dense form with an elastic rope to hold it in place. The foam goes around the sides and back of your neck, and the rope criss-crosses your chest and goes around your back.

It does not have a great effect by itself, but it works wonders in concert with a helmet. In normal use, the helmet's lower rear edge is just over the upper surface of the Neck Roll. In a wipe-out, it prevents significant head tilt to the side or rear. You can still turn your head sideways or look down just fine. It is innocuous once you have it on. I don't ride without it now.

An extra comment for those with knee injuries: try hydrofoiling instead of wakeboarding! It's just as fun, and it is also done best behind a wakeboarding boat. My buddy Darren bought one after visiting here (see http://www.moomba.com/bb/viewtopic.php?t=1798) and then finding a hydofoiling group on Yahoo. I'll post information on the "correct" choice of gear if there is interest.

Ian

05mobiusxlv
01-25-2006, 01:15 AM
Thanks Ian, like I said before, I have a bulging disk in my neck (C4-5). Along with disk desiccation at C2-3 Through C4-5. A month ago I had a cervical epidural steroid injection in it, which didn't help at all. I still have horrible pain in it day and night, it has not let up since October. My doctor is talking about surgery if it does not start to get better.

I'm sure if I even mentioned wakeboarding again this summer, to my doc, i would get a big fat NO! I don't want to ever go through this again, that's for sure. And doing nothing but pulling friends all year and watching them have fun is going to kill me. So maybe with something like this neck roll, and taking it extremely easy and not falling, I would still be able to get behind my boat, and at least have a little fun.

Thanks for the info, I didn't know that something like this was available. Even with trying my hardest not to fall, i'm sure I still would, when you live in ND, and can't get out for 6 months straight, im sure I would be a little rusty. Something like the neck roll might be just what I need.

lanceswake
01-25-2006, 10:23 PM
The only major injury I've had was when I landed so hard on my back once that I saw a quik flash of light and my feet were numb for about 30 minutes or so. I was ok after that, but it was pretty freaky at the time though.

jmski1
05-22-2006, 05:35 PM
year before last i some how missed a grab and ended up getting my arm up around my bicep through the rope before i hit the water! the entire inside of my arm turn black!

saturday i was just screwing around threw a raley and a bolt came out of my boot (yes i should have checked it) i dont remember anything until about an hour later (no exaggeration), and now my ribcage is brused to hell and back and my head still hurts alittle 2 days later!

MEDIC151
05-24-2006, 09:34 AM
I guess the worst for me was 2 seasons ago I had 2 concussions after bad landings which I don't remember as I was knocked out shortly. I then ended the season early with a back injury that took six weeks to get over. Now with the new boat, who knows what will happen.

Medic

Sharru-Kinu
05-24-2006, 01:00 PM
jmski1, that arm injuriy sounds familiar...
a couple of months ago I had a buddy out for his first ride of the season. he forgot to warm up after about 7 months off and wanted to ride like he did on his last set last year. long story short, he got his arm wrapped in the rope on a back roll and then landed on his face. with PP set at 21mph - that's a very hard "tug" on the arm. His bicep litterally tore away from the bone. When we got around to pick him up he was writhing in pain and his entire bicep muscle was pulled down to the inside of his elbow. Needless to say, it was a strange sight. to top it off we were on a remote lake outside of town and it took over an hour for the bus to arrive. he was close to going into shock from the pain. they had to re-attach the muscle in surgery and his season is already over.

be careful out there!

jmski1
05-24-2006, 02:39 PM
man! luckily i didn't tear anything just brused it realy bad.

Wolf-
05-24-2006, 07:38 PM
Originally posted by eustace
Yeah, I look like a dork but the helmet has given me some renewed confidence and I find myself at 38 charging into the wake like a champ.
;)

You aren't alone. I'm 34 and I wear a helmet most of the time. A big shiny silver one to cover my big bald head. I also have a medium and a small for the kids to wear.

scottman
06-12-2006, 09:05 PM
06 Outback V ~ 10 hours in and this weekend my knee exploded on a bad landing. First major injury while wakeboarding (8 years or so), but it had to happen on my brand new boat... Haven't been to the Dr yet, but torn ligaments is my guess.

:(

gotmyboat
06-13-2006, 11:27 AM
My 12 yo daughter needs a full faced helmet. She did a spectacular face-plant on Sunday. When I turned the boat around I realized that her mouth was bleeding. When she hit the water her mouth was open and the force folded her upper lip back, ripping that little piece of webbing between lip and gum. She's a tough kid and posed for pictures before we cleaned her up. My buddy was taping her with his new HD videocam. The crash in slo-mo is AWESOME!! Anyway, She was back out on the kneeboard within the hour. No wimps on my boat!! She doesn't use a helmet, but I'm starting to look now that she is getting moire aggressive.

Dave

smokedog2
06-13-2006, 12:26 PM
GMB - how fast were you going?

SD2

gotmyboat
06-13-2006, 05:03 PM
About 19mph. She is 5'8" and 120lbs and gets air heel and toe side, but can't clear the wake yet. My wife was pulling me and was still mentally in slalom mode. I let go at about 30mph.

Dave

BaileyAZ
06-30-2006, 03:09 AM
My only fear of wearing a helmet is you will be (potentionally) breaking a larger surface area when hitting the water head first during a crash. Wearing a helmet could prevent head damage, but create neck damage in this situation. I am not saying helmets should not be worn, but the "neck roll" device described in earlier posts probably should be worn in conjunction. I am not a doctor, this is just my opinion.

Smrtz
06-30-2006, 09:02 AM
I dunno I have taken some wicked headers. Im workin on my 360... I dont know how many time the guys in the boat turn around sayin are you alright.... I feel almost nothing... Im not saying you cant injure your neck but I would never go without again..

One point I'd like to mention about the protec helmets...
the ear flaps on the wake model come off way too easy Ive already lost one .. and had it replaced... when that ear flap came out it allowed the sizer inside to fall out.. Ive lost 2 of them already... ive had the helmet less than a month. The place i bought it has been good about replacing the parts but... come on there is no reason that they should blow apart like that on impact

EUSTACE
06-30-2006, 11:56 AM
Bailey, I respect your opinion, but I just have a hard time believing that adding a ½” to the circumference of your head will dramatically increase your potential for neck injury.

Here is a good thread from WW with regards to repeated head trauma and wearing a helmet in particular read the post by Don Shows
http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/messages/1/338306.html?1151376138

For what its worth the only time I have had whiplash was from a spill when I was not wearing a helmet…

My 2 cents,,,, E