PDA

View Full Version : Gas leak

toelke4286
11-04-2005, 07:53 PM
I just pulled the boat out about 2 weeks ago. Filled the gas tank, backed the boat in the garage. Came home tonight after being out of town for a couple of days, and there is a puddle of gas under the fill cap. ANy idea what would cause this. I live in SE Michigan. Not very cold yet at all. 70 out today. Is there a vent that could be plugged or something? Gas has soaked the rub rail. Looks kind of discolored. ANy ideas or help would be great.
ST

james yarosz
11-04-2005, 09:05 PM
Did you fill it right to the top? The vent is under the gas cap,maybe it warmed up enough to expand the gas and it just overflowed out the vent.

smokedog2
11-07-2005, 05:46 PM
Too much slope backing in or when you parked it might lead to a spill, vapor condensation is possible. It is unlikely that the gas escaped on its own due to the boat.

Mine has been parked full for over a month now without incident.

I have overfilled mine at the gas station and wondered if the gas would eat the gel coat but I never worried about the rub rail, a little sun and rubbing should solve that.

SD2

toelke4286
11-07-2005, 08:21 PM
I spoke with the dealer on Saturday. They told me NOT to fill the tank anymore before winterstoreage due to the alcohol in the gas here in the midwest. They recomend to leave whatever you have in the tank, add stabil and store it. I took out a couple off gallons. I do not think anything will take off the brown on the rub rail. It looks stained to me. Maybe a SS one in the spring. Thanks
ST

smokedog2
11-08-2005, 08:41 AM
I have heard of, but never used, fine grit sandpaper on the rail when scuffed, it might work on the brown, I think Ed just needs to spend more time on the water. The sun on the water is much more effective than the sun in your driveway for removing rail stains.

Bingo on SS, I need to spill some gas. I plan to upgrade to SS – someday.

james yarosz
11-08-2005, 07:29 PM
On stubborn stains on the rub rail I've had good luck with Lacquer thinner.I put a little on a rag and rub gently.It's taken all my stains off.