PDA

View Full Version : Trans Screech

SkiBoy
10-30-2005, 09:35 AM
I have a 99 Outback LS that has 400 hours on it. Last season we started to notice a high pitch screech from the tranny area. The noise was short and very loud. This happened a few times while skiing, never just cruising or at high speed . I checked the fluid level of the tranny and added a trans booster. The problem went away until the end of the summer. Then it happened 5 times during a ski run. We stopped the boat, and pulled it for the year. Could it be the bearings? The tranny shifts fine and has no vibrations under power. Any Ideas? Thanks....Allen

smokedog2
10-30-2005, 11:49 PM
I thought I posted this already, I’ll try again. It may also apply to the Kanga noise problem.

I’d start with the prop shaft bearings or shaft packing, either too tight or fouled. I think you are chasing the wrong source. I’m not an expert, but I believe tyrannies go thunk, by-by. I’ve never heard of a recurring screech. That’s my guess, worth what you paid for it.

SD2

10-31-2005, 12:01 PM
Thanks Smokedog,

I had seen previous posts about tranny noise, but thought maybe someone had heard something similar. Maybe it is the packing and bearings. The shaft was leaking badly at the end of the season. When I had someone listen to the Tranny (they put their ear right on it as I shifted and took it up to speed) They heard no thunk or unusual noise of any kind. The fluid was not burned and it had no odor or discoloration. We'll check the shaft bearings and replace the rope. Thanks for the reply! Allen

SkiBoy
10-31-2005, 12:01 PM
Thanks Smokedog,

I had seen previous posts about tranny noise, but thought maybe someone had heard something similar. Maybe it is the packing and bearings. The shaft was leaking badly at the end of the season. When I had someone listen to the Tranny (they put their ear right on it as I shifted and took it up to speed) They heard no thunk or unusual noise of any kind. The fluid was not burned and it had no odor or discoloration. We'll check the shaft bearings and replace the rope. Thanks for the reply! Allen

Buttafewcoe
11-01-2005, 09:49 AM
One thing that may help the boat winter well is about once a week turn the prop a couple revolutions by hand. I don't know if the packing and/or shaft will stick together causing potiential problems in the spring. But I would think some kind of preventive maintenence may be in order. I actually did this last winter. Don't know if it helped, but it didn't seem to hurt either.
Hope this helps
Butta

moombakanga
01-07-2006, 05:19 PM
I have posted here about my Moomba Kanga with a similar high pitch squeeling type noise. I had received a few responses and suggestions for trying to resolve my problem. I very much appreciate input from fellow members. I had planned to do some work to my boat during the off season. I recieved some feedback from Brian Raymond who suggested that I start with the prop which is a little dinged up / one blade slightly bent at the very end. Brian also suggested a check of the shaft alignment. I also planned to replace the shaft packing and the bushing on the shaft that is under the boat. I work at a chemical complex in Texas and we had a large explosion in Oct. so I havent got to do any work on the boat yet this winter. Once I do, I will post and share the results ( hopefully good results). If anyone else manages to resolve their squealing noise, please let me know what you did so I can see if I'm heading in the right direction.

thanks, Cliff

moombakanga
01-07-2006, 05:20 PM
I have posted here about my Moomba Kanga with a similar high pitch squeeling type noise. I had received a few responses and suggestions for trying to resolve my problem. I very much appreciate input from fellow members. I had planned to do some work to my boat during the off season. I recieved some feedback from Brian Raymond who suggested that I start with the prop which is a little dinged up / one blade slightly bent at the very end. Brian also suggested a check of the shaft alignment. I also planned to replace the shaft packing and the bushing on the shaft that is under the boat. I work at a chemical complex in Texas and we had a large explosion in Oct. so I havent got to do any work on the boat yet this winter. Once I do, I will post and share the results ( hopefully good results). If anyone else manages to resolve their squealing noise, please let me know what you did so I can see if I'm heading in the right direction.

thanks, Cliff

moombakanga
01-08-2006, 11:35 AM
That will be the first thing that I try then based on your experience. Thanks for the reply. Cliff

SkiBoy
01-14-2006, 01:47 PM
Thanks for all the replies and info. Does anyone know if you have to use a prop puller to change the shaft bearings? I already chnage the shaft packing whenever it starts to leak, so I know how to do that. Also, are the bearing kits hard to install, and is the shaft alignment better left to a dealer, or can I do it? Thanks! SkiBoy

lowdrag
01-14-2006, 09:59 PM
When you say you change the packing whenever it starts to leak, I'm assuming you mean really leak as in the water runs in in a steady stream. If not and you're changing it and tightening it because you're getting a few drops in through the packing, then that could very well be the cause of the screech.

SkiBoy
01-20-2006, 07:50 AM
Yes, I meant when it really leaks, about once a year or so. I have tried different thickness of rope and find the factory spec stuff works best. I put around 75-100 hours on my boat per season. Most of the hours are skiing hours so it gets a workout.

Has anyone found a pump to drain the trans fluid? I have seen a few but never used anything more sophisticated than a turkey baster, which is painfully slow and doesn't get everything out. Thanks.... Allen

SkiBoy
01-22-2006, 11:55 AM
Thanks Ed! I will get one before Spring. Any ideas about pulling the prop and changing the prop bearings? Allen

Catdog1
01-26-2006, 01:03 AM
Separate drive flange, remove prop, unbolt and lift engine, pull prop shaft out through cockpit, go under boat and remove/replace rubber-lined cutlass bearing. Reassemble, align shaft. Skiers Choice will fax you a sheet that describes alignment. Carefully noting the exact positions of motor mount bolts prior to disassembly will faciliate quicker alignment.

04-16-2006, 12:35 AM
Not sure if you've got it all figured out yet but I'm verry well familiar with the noise you're talking about. It is verry hard to locate and it does seem to be coming from somewhere near the tranny. It especially accted up when pulling a heavy weight skier like myself. To solve the problem, I had the prop rebuilt (it had a few small dings) and the bearings re-packed. The dealer charged me about $250 to do it. Granted, I've only been out about 4 or 5 times since then but I've not heard a screech from it so I'm assuming it was the problem. Also, water leakage was much less after that :)

JAMAHO
04-16-2006, 01:27 AM
Not sure if you've got it all figured out yet but I'm verry well familiar with the noise you're talking about. It is verry hard to locate and it does seem to be coming from somewhere near the tranny. It especially accted up when pulling a heavy weight skier like myself. To solve the problem, I had the prop rebuilt (it had a few small dings) and the bearings re-packed. The dealer charged me about $250 to do it. Granted, I've only been out about 4 or 5 times since then but I've not heard a screech from it so I'm assuming it was the problem. Also, water leakage was much less after that :)

SkiBoy
04-19-2006, 04:02 PM
Thanks for the info! We are going to change the shaft packing rope first and then test it out while skiing. If it still makes noise, I'll pull it and change the bearings. The prop is fine-no dings, so maybe we'll be okay with just the shaft packing.

Allen

doug0446
05-07-2006, 09:55 AM
I took out my 05XLV out for the first time (was only able to take it for a 2 minute cruse until it started to rain).

Last year, I heard a high pitch sound only when I would pull a skier out of the water but I did not hear it after that.

this time, I heard it when I accelerated (no pulling a skiier in the rain).

There are no dings in my prop. So maybe I need to have my bearings checked. What is the worst that will happen (reasonalbe bad situation) if it is a bearing problem? What bearings?

I was thinking of making a tape recording of the sound and taking it to my dealer for them to listen to. My full 1 year warentee end mid June.

SkiBoy
01-12-2007, 03:03 PM
Just a heads up on this problem. I found an extra piece of packing rope stuck in the cap around the shaft seal. It was only two inches long, but was enough to cause the problem This piece of rope was forcing the shaft to touch the ring when I cranked on the boat. I replaced the shaft rope and skied 165 times and had ZERO sounds from this area.