PDA

View Full Version : Little help - looking to buy a moomba

aussie 1
01-05-2013, 12:08 PM
hey guys,

First time on here, great forum.

I have recently moved to North America from Australia,we had a 3 moomba's at my work over hear. Great boats, so now I am looking at buying a moomba. I was thinking a 2006-2008 lsv ,as we mainly wakeboard. I have just over 30 grand to spend. So ,I was interested to here what the differences between the 2006 , 2007 and 2008 are?

Also things to look for ? ie good options/extras or even problems with years?

And finally I have to get a tow vehicle, so what do people use to tow a boat of this size? i think the weight with trailer is 4400 lbs.

Any info or suggestions would be much appriciated

thanks

Mikey
01-05-2013, 06:47 PM
I first say Welcome. Being a skier first and a Outback DD owner i don't know nearly all the details on the LSV's . But i do know they make for a fantastic Wakeboard and or Surf boat when set up correctly. As for skiing. OK to average only.

As for the years you mention i believe there are not that many REAL changes mostly slight cosmetic and minor details mostly. These were Big sales years so there are lots of them out there from those model years to find and or chose from. I'm sure you should get lots of input on this so hang tough Your answers will come.

chadjitsu1
01-06-2013, 12:30 PM
I would say that you should be able to get the boat you want for the price your looking for. I have seen a lot of really good deals out there on LSV's for around the 30k mark.

If I were to look for one again I would try to find one with the ballast system upgraded already with larger bags in it and reversible pumps. I would also look for one with an upgraded prop.

The ballast upgrade with new bags, if you do it, will run you around 2k and if you upgrade the prop that will be about 500-600. This is the only pain that I have had with my boat, its a 07 LSV. Other than that I love it.

rdlangston13
01-06-2013, 05:37 PM
And finally I have to get a tow vehicle, so what do people use to tow a boat of this size? i think the weight with trailer is 4400 lbs.

thanks

with fuel and gear you may be pushing closer to 5,000 lbs and if you are in Australia it may be hard to us to help you with a tow vehicle, i know i dont know what they sell down under

kevkev
01-06-2013, 07:01 PM
with fuel and gear you may be pushing closer to 5,000 lbs and if you are in Australia it may be hard to us to help you with a tow vehicle, i know i dont know what they sell down under

He just moved here from Australia. Come on man :)

Hoopskier
01-06-2013, 07:48 PM

thanks

In a general statement, I think most people tow with a 1/2 ton pickup truck or SUV such as F150 or Tahoe.

chadjitsu1
01-06-2013, 07:52 PM
I would say any of these american choices would do.
http://www.cadillac.com/escalade-suv.html
http://www.lincoln.com/suvs/navigator/
http://www.chevrolet.com/tahoe-mid-size-suv.html
http://www.ford.com/trucks/f150/raptor/
http://www.ramtrucks.com/en/2013/ram_1500/#model=longhorn&color=black_clear_coat&type=dual
http://www.chevrolet.com/silverado-pickup-trucks.html

I personally like the first and second option. If you do decide to go that way I would highly suggest you get the 24 inch rims.

kaneboats
01-07-2013, 10:57 AM
What part of North America are you in?

rdlangston13
01-07-2013, 02:37 PM
He just moved here from Australia. Come on man :)

WHOOOPS. not sure how i missed that. any half ton truck will do. and of course if a half ton works, then the 3/4 and 1 tons work even better

kaneboats
01-07-2013, 03:04 PM
I think he's in Ontario somewhere.

sandm
01-07-2013, 03:16 PM
canada will be a tough find for a boat at that pricerange. there's a reason a lot of the us boats are going to canada.

aussie 1
01-07-2013, 11:40 PM
hey guys, yeah I was in conecticut originally but now we are in ontario.

I was looking at smaller trucks,honda ridgeline and dodge dakota, aus dosen't have to many truck line the ones here. I think i was off the mark tho. These might be ok for a outback, but not for a lsv.

Thanks for the info, seems like the lsv was a good boat and if there was lots sold, even more chance of finding a good one.
So the hull stayed the same for lsv from 2006 to 2008?

or if i looked at outbacks V, are they a good wake boat, surf ?

aussie 1
01-07-2013, 11:42 PM
yeah, have to look into bring a boat over the border, seems the way to go.

wolfeman131
01-08-2013, 12:00 AM

same hull from 2006 thru 2012. Great boat! Good luck with your search.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

jmvotto
01-08-2013, 12:03 AM
Check this dealer, it's near buffalo, ny has a couple used moombas, plus they do a boat show in Rochester, ny in feb plus one in orchard park(buffalo bills field house) in march.

http://www.silverlakemarine.com/includes/products/lst_products.asp?cat=1&bhcp=1

I have purchased two boats from them, great people to deal with.

Ian Brantford
01-08-2013, 01:23 AM
hey guys, yeah I was in conecticut originally but now we are in ontario.

I was looking at smaller trucks,honda ridgeline and dodge dakota, aus dosen't have to many truck line the ones here. I think i was off the mark tho. These might be ok for a outback, but not for a lsv.

I tow an XLV with a Ridgeline. Its written specifications for towing and hauling are honest. Its handling, comfort and versatility are far superior when unloaded. It's similar in manners when towing 5000 lbs (as in, I have done a head-to-head towing comparison) with a late 1990's full size such as the Silverado 1500. That's before most of the full-size trucks grew by 500-1000 lbs. Hence, the Ridgeline is popular with former owners of the 1st-generation Tundra. If you want to buy a used one, note that the cheaper ones are mostly imported from the US auction system. For new, list prices are high in Canada, but you can get about $3000 off right now with rebate and haggling. Send me a PM if you like. If you are anywhere near Ottawa, you can check my 2009 mid-tier model. At least I can direct you to the very active user group.

The next best choice in compact trucks would be the Toyota Tacoma. Its interior is much less roomy and you get less standard equipment in the base models, but similarly equipped cost is comparable to Ridgeline for this more conventional truck.

Thanks for the info, seems like the lsv was a good boat and if there was lots sold, even more chance of finding a good one.

Yes. You'll probably have to head south to the US for a decent selection. Possibly the popular areas, such as cottage country around Toronto or Montreal would work too, and avoid any importation issues.

If you go to the dealers (for used or maybe even new), I can send you my years-out-of-date shopping experience via PM regarding the dealers in Muskoka and St-Alponese-de-Grandby.

Yes. The hull got deeper with the 2006 model year.

or if i looked at outbacks V, are they a good wake boat, surf ?
Yes, but they may feel cramped and low compared to the LSV.