PDA

View Full Version : can you wakeboard with pontoon

wakeboard199
10-28-2005, 06:40 PM
I'm wantin to get into wakeboarding, but all i have is a pontoon boat. Is it alright to wakeboard with a pontoon boat runnin about 21 mph.

Wake Master
10-28-2005, 07:59 PM
The boat will pull you but I,m not sure I would call that wakeboarding!

Buttafewcoe
10-29-2005, 06:41 AM
21 mph is about the right speed. A couple years ago, we were skiing behind an'86 Bayliner (doing inverts even). I can't say I remember exactly what kind of wake the pontoon throws. Hey!, if it's all you got, it's all you got!
Butta:p

JoeTechie
10-29-2005, 10:58 AM
I would think it might be a bit harder to get up. If that is about the pontoons top speed (and it sounds like it is) then getting there may take a while. Most have very small outboards, like 65 hp range. Getting up on a wakeboard may be a grueling experience if the boat takes a long time getting to speed and now has to deal with the added drag.

Also since pontoons are a between a displacement hull and a planing hull, it is a strange and wide wake...

but like said above - if it is what ya got... go enjoy the hell out of it !!!

-Joe

smokedog2
10-29-2005, 02:23 PM
I've done the WB thing behind a 40 HP v hull. Big guys could not get up. Kids and mid sized adults did fine.

SD2

BoatmanCan
10-29-2005, 02:58 PM
I would compare that to doing downhill sking while pulled by a car on a flat surface - your moving and youve got the board tied to your feet, but, its not the same....

EUSTACE
10-31-2005, 09:59 AM
You can pretty much board behind anything. I started behind my 16ft sport craft with an 88hp outboard. You’re not going to have much of a wake to work with behind a pontoon, but the upside is that it will force you to really learn to edge and work on surface tricks.

Good luck, E

EUSTACE
10-31-2005, 10:10 AM
One other bit of advice, go and get your self a good non-stretch wakeboard rope. It makes a huge difference.

Buttafewcoe
11-01-2005, 11:21 AM
LMAO @ Ed.....that reminds me of living in Detroit in the winter, 'cept we'd hide behind bushes at stop signs. The roads were covered in snow, cars would stop and we'd sneak out and grab hold of the rear bumper and the car would pull us down the street. Man, am I getting old....hard to believe that's been 30+ years ago.

EUSTACE
11-01-2005, 11:44 AM
My bumper skiing story: The year is 1987 just out of high school me and two of my buddies take at trip to Austria to do some skiing.

After about a dozen German beers at the pub we decide to get a little bumper skiing in, so we head into the streets of this small town outside of Munich and start flagging down cars.

At first the Euros’ had no idea but once they figured out what we where doing they kept coming back to the main drag in town and giving us a pull. I was quite a spectacle I’m sure, at one point there were about 30 or so people cheering and taking in the antics of the 3 drunken Americans. Ahh! Distant memories….

Witt
11-01-2005, 02:10 PM
Friend of mine used to rollerblade quite a lot and he was out riding around when he grabbed the bumper of his girlfriends car (she didn't have any idea he was back there because he ducked down behind her line of sight). Guy thought he was having fun till the girlfriend got onto a more major street and started accelerating to about 40 mph. The guy got scared and couldn't let go...until his rollerblades buckled and he fell, face first, onto the street at 40 mph. Tore him all up, from the neck down for about 300 yards. Even ripped his nipple off, which i don't think grew back. Anyway, he didn't rollerblade anymore after that!

IceinWI
11-01-2005, 03:57 PM
So my smiles and laughter reading those stories definetly changed after that one...you painted a visual image that got pretty gruesome.

Buttafewcoe
11-02-2005, 11:52 AM
lmao....maybe, but my dad always said...."Son, if you're gonna be ignorant, then you better be tough!"
Butta