PDA

View Full Version : Winterizing in Florida

bluexlv
10-24-2005, 01:32 PM
Is in necessary for me to winterize my boat in Tampa, Florida. We usually get maybe 3 days a year that it is below freezing overnight. will this cause problems if it it not winterized correctly.

Also is it normal for my New XLV to have cracks on the bottom of the hull. it is an 05 with just over 100 hours on it (and it has never been in salt water, i dont know if that has an effect)

Thanks in advance

james yarosz
10-24-2005, 11:02 PM
My brother lived in Orlando for about 10 years.He had a Mastercraft and never winterized it.

BensonWdby
10-25-2005, 05:32 PM
I would be surprised if you ned to winterize.
On nights when you are concerned you can try what I had to do a couple nights here in MN before winterizing:

Stick a floodlight, or a trouble-light, or a lamp, next to the motor and then cover the boat with the mooring cover. Make sure you don't put the light anywhere that it will contact anything.

Not sure if it helped, I think it would, but it gave me piece of mind.

Dave

Father of 5
10-29-2005, 08:35 PM
I wouldn,t know if freezing were an issue where you at. If it gets cold (mid to low 20's) you could have some problems. I would think the bigger issue for you would be how often the boat gets used during the winter. Indmar considers anything less than weekly as occasional use and recommends fuel stabilizer (Sta bil) to prevent the build up of varnish in the fuel system and water (condensate) in the system. I run stabilizer all year long and double the amounts per the stabilizers recommendations for storing my boat.

bluexlv
10-30-2005, 01:24 PM
so anyone else have problems with cracks in the hull of an 05 xlv...there right where the deep v starts

nabisco
01-29-2006, 05:24 PM
I wouldnt worry about winterizing it

hey im in tampa and am buying a 05 outback this week hopefully.. have you ever had it in the bay? where do you go?

moombadaze
01-29-2006, 10:05 PM
i've never winterized any of the boats that i've had since being in florida.
but its used most weekends except during the holiday season and then
its sitting in the garage all covered up.

nabisco- did you buy from land o lakes marine?--i live close to them.
i've never used my lsv in the bay---salt water will cause me to much
worry.

stacy

bluexlv
02-05-2006, 06:53 PM
i have never taken her in the bay (no trailer) i use it on lake carroll which is where i live
i did purchase it from LOL marine and am fairly happy with them