PDA

View Full Version : Time for new tires!

rdlangston13
01-04-2013, 03:40 AM
When I get home from work in about 2 weeks it will be time for new rubber on the truck. Since the fiancé's father works for Bridgestone and Firestone is having their annual mega one day sale the day after I get home I figured I would go with Bridgestone tires.

Vehicle is a 2006 Dodge Ram 1500 2wd with the 20s. I am torn between the Bridgestone Dueller HL Alenzas or the Bridgestone Dueller AT Revos.

The HLs look like they last 10,000 miles longer and may yield better fuel economy but the ATs look bad ass!

What do I do??

Sent from my iPhone newtys droid killer using Tapatalk

mmandley
01-04-2013, 09:43 AM
Looks are important because wheels truly make or break a trucks looks.

I would look into the tires for a couple things, milage is one

Also see if one is D or E rated. D is the minnimum for towing and E is the one i always go with. This will give you stiffer sidewalls and keep the truck from swaying as much when towing or hauling things.

As for milage i wouldnt worry as much as almost all tires are going to last 40K with regualr rotations and proper air pressure.

rdlangston13
01-04-2013, 09:57 AM
40k that's it??? The HLs are warrantied for 60k and the ATs for 50k. I better get more than 40 out of them haha. I will for sure look into the load rating tho!

bergermaister
01-04-2013, 11:14 AM
How long do you plan to drive the truck - another 50k? May have an influence on what you do.

Go BadAss while you're still young. You can worry about warranties and mileage when you get old. ;)

Cigars n scotch
01-04-2013, 11:29 AM
Just my opinion, but I had Duelers on my Tundra stock and they sucked. They also look lame. You probably get a deal with the FIL but I'd check out GY Duratracs.

beat taco
01-04-2013, 11:52 AM
I know a lot of Toyota guys who run the revos and really like them. They say they have good handling characteristics and last around 50k miles.

bergermaister
01-04-2013, 11:56 AM
How about the MT or are you not wanting that aggressive on a 2wd truck?

http://www.1010tires.com/images/tires/Bridgestone/bridgestone-dueler-mt-d673-large.jpg

mmandley
01-04-2013, 12:44 PM
40k that's it??? The HLs are warrantied for 60k and the ATs for 50k. I better get more than 40 out of them haha. I will for sure look into the load rating tho!

What was the last truck you owned for 40K?

The tires on my F150 were 3 years old and had 36K and dry rotted
The tired on my Black F350 lasted 35K and where just worn out

The tired on my New F350 had about 40K and wore out.

Now i got new ones and they have about 6K so fare.
DO i think i will see the 50K warrenty they have? No not likely.

Plus the tire warrenty is normally pro-rated so you are still going to pay out of pocket, and when you have used tires and have to replace 1, you normally will replace 2 because on the front it will cause drifting have an old and new tire, and on the rear, you might not notice it, but now you cant rotate the tires, and this is what really helps keep the tires lasting, and correct air pressure all the time.

rdlangston13
01-04-2013, 09:15 PM
The truck has 90k miles on it so I probably won't be looking for a new one for another 110k miles.

The cooper tires on there now where on there when I bought it and I don't recalls them looking particularly new and I have racked up about 40k miles since then. They probably have 10k or so left in them but they only have the sale once a year and I'll be passes 10k before next January so now is the time for me to buy.

I don't care for mud tires on anything really unless it a necessity. Not even a fan of jacked up trucks, just looks very wasteful to me. Now if I had a jeep that would be another story. Trucks IMO are for mild offloading like driving thru a pasture or down a wet dirt road, nothing a decent AT cant handle, and their main reason is to haul, you ruin hauling characteristics when you jack em way up high and put stupid big tires on them.

jpetty3023
01-04-2013, 11:08 PM
Why they gotta be stupid big tires!

sent from my ipad2 via a wireless network which usually sucks

zabooda
01-05-2013, 02:00 AM
My 2wd has Toyo Proxes ST II (m+s) and they seem to do well even in the snow and look sharp. I won't know how many miles I can get out of them as they were on the truck when I got them.

http://toyotires.com/tires/pattern/proxes-st-ii-sport-truck-all-season-tires

beat taco
01-05-2013, 03:14 AM
I like big tires and 4x4's
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/01/05/atamyzuz.jpg

rdlangston13
01-05-2013, 12:15 PM
I like big tires and 4x4's
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/01/05/atamyzuz.jpg

C'mon now, Toyotas don't count as real trucks. They are in the jeep category

zabooda
01-05-2013, 01:55 PM
That's why I have two separate vehicles. If you have one rig as a daily commute, off road rig and tow rig, you may find yourself at times getting a ride to work and having someone pull your boat to the launch. Also, having one vehicle to do a bunch of things may work OK but they tend to fall short in doing a particular task really well.

If you don't 4wd then don't get 4wd tires as they are expensive, noisy, rougher ride, wears faster and less gas mileage.

rdlangston13
01-05-2013, 06:11 PM
Man in not a balla like that tho!

bergermaister
01-07-2013, 02:17 AM
Man in not a balla like that tho!

You drinkin on the job again?

kaneboats
01-07-2013, 11:10 AM
I'm looking for new tires this year too for the 'burb. Don't go offroad, mostly highway as I barely drive unless towing the boat. Around here we care about wet traction and that's about it.

KG's Supra24
01-07-2013, 11:18 AM
It's been a while since I shopped tires but I was thinking the Alenzas were the best rated tire for on road traction for couple/several years in a row. I believe that is what is run on most luxury SUVs.

When I bought tires for my last SUV, that I wasn't planning on keeping long term, I went with the Firestone version to save a couple bucks. I think the "destination" was the knock off dueller.

kaneboats
01-07-2013, 11:22 AM
No more el cheapo ones for me. I went with Falken last time and they were fantastic for about 20k and then got noisier and noisier. Can barely stand to ride in the truck now at about 40k.

rdlangston13
01-07-2013, 11:25 AM
Yeah the destination is the Firestone on road truck tire. For how much the bridgestones are they better be a too rated tire. About 250 each

kaneboats
01-07-2013, 11:32 AM
The Destination looks too "woodsy" for me. Kyle, have you had the Alenzas? Looks like Tire Rack has them for $142 in my size. That would be hard to beat if they are good.

beat taco
01-07-2013, 11:42 AM
I put michelins on most of my cars. The ltx/ms would be a great choice. I put the ltx/at2's on wifey's pilot and probably won't go that aggressive next time. I thought we might see some sand or snow in it but haven't really used them. The ltx/ms works great in the rain and snow/ice and is good for 50k (I've run a couple of sets). The at/2 will work better in deeper snow and sand. I don't think I'll get 50k out of them. I had the original at's in load range E still going after 100k on my old passport, the lot that bought it showed pictures of the good tires as a selling point!

kaneboats
01-07-2013, 11:49 AM
Love Michelins. Can't afford 'em. Our biggest problem here is the UV and heat. Gotta get new tires every 4 years or so just about no matter what. I just saw some General Grabber HTS for $116 on Tire Rack. I've paid more than that for Chineseho in the past. Might pull the trigger today. Tire Rack has testing results that put them above a few others.

KG's Supra24
01-07-2013, 11:50 AM
I have not personally owned the Alenza's. I just shopped them when buying new tires and they were the best thing out at that time.

Since you mentioned the burb ... I'll throw a couple pics up. Here are the Destinations LE's on the vehicle.

http://i1092.photobucket.com/albums/i401/kwgarner24/DSC_0180_zps3dbcbb59.jpg

http://i1092.photobucket.com/albums/i401/kwgarner24/DSC_0175_zps65f67c34.jpg

kaneboats
01-07-2013, 12:13 PM
Hmm. They look pretty darn good and not as off road as I thought they would. Thanks!

beat taco
01-07-2013, 12:40 PM
Wifey gets michelins and I get hankooks :) Been happy with them. Good, even wear. Stay balanced, not prone to punctures.
I sent a friend to Americas tire for the 35" Hankook mud tire on his 'burb and when they didn't have it in stock he got the BFG KM2's for the Hankook price :)

kaneboats
01-07-2013, 12:53 PM
Looks like I could get the Destination LE2 for same money and it's a better tire (I think the other Destination I was looking at was AT, not LE or something). Thing is I can't stand white letters or even OWL's. Wonder if I can just turn 'em in.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Firestone&tireModel=Destination+LE+2&partnum=475TR6DLE2OWL&vehicleSearch=true&fromCompare1=yes&autoMake=Chevrolet&autoYear=2001&autoModel=Suburban 2wd&autoModClar=

KG's Supra24
01-07-2013, 01:02 PM
Should be a blackwall and whitewall side but I would confirm.

The ones you see on mine are the LE's

kaneboats
01-07-2013, 01:12 PM
Just went out and walked around the truck. No more going over the road or towing until this gets done. It's that serious. Maybe call tirerack today and see what they say. Love the survey results on their site on the Desintation LE2. Noise and wet traction are the most important to me and they look real good there plus on everything else.