PDA

View Full Version : XM or Sirius for your SC boat

brianw21
10-21-2005, 04:03 PM
After having installed quite a few car stereos, and recently installing both XM and Sirius in the car, I ordered my boat without.

Fix for Sirius: for $99 buy the SIR-KEN1 Tuner from Crutchfield, includes the antenna.

SIR-KEN1 (http://www.crutchfield.com/S-zeTowodaIGE/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?i=607SIRKEN1&search=SIR-KEN1)

Plug and play install. I placed the antenna just before the intake vent, routed the wire down the vent. Zip tied the little tuner to the bottom of the radio housing. Took less then 15 minutes.

Fix for XM: Same procedure as aboive, but use 700XMKENWO from Crutchfield.

700XMKENWO (http://www.crutchfield.com/S-zeTowodaIGE/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?i=700XMKENWO&search=700XMKENWO)

Have had it out on the lake several times, and have no drpoouts, works like a charm. Best $100 you can spend.

smokedog2
10-21-2005, 04:18 PM
IPOD and skip the fees, the wiring and it works in your car as well.

SD2

Buttafewcoe
10-21-2005, 04:33 PM
Ah, the good 'ol days of Napster and Winmx is coming in handy here. I put a Kenwood MP3 player in place of the stock player in mine. All my fav toons, up to 200 cuts on a single CD, no commercials. You can still dl for free so current toons can be got. There is nothing like playing DJ at the sandbar when the ladies ask me to play their favorite songs. I might eventually do XM or Sirius. I'd have to think about it
Hope this helps
Butta

future
10-21-2005, 11:27 PM
sirius thats where stern will be nuff said

10-23-2005, 10:58 PM
Well I'm not sure if that last post was an endorsement of Howard or not. I have both a Sirius and an XM. My friend does the industrial design of a lot of the Sirius ones so he has given me a few. I personally like the programming on Sirius better. Who can argue with an all Elvis station? From a practical standpoint, the Sirius satellites fly at a higher orbit so the signal gets blocked by trees and trucks less than XM. On a boat that isn't much of an issue but if you are going for a plug and play to move from the car to the boat, I like Sirius.

smokedog2
10-24-2005, 05:20 PM
LMAO

Right on the money!

SD2

future
10-24-2005, 06:16 PM
that may be but as far as the music goes they both offer the same thing and why not get the added bonus you don't like stern? you must be a chick

smokedog2
10-24-2005, 09:36 PM
ok LMAO at that as well, but stern will always mean the back of the boat to me.

SD2

aka chick magnet:p don't forget the magnet

NH Moomba
10-24-2005, 09:50 PM
I have both XM and Sirius radios. My friend does a lot of the industrial design for several brands of Sirius and has given me a few. I got the XM from him after he bought the Pioneer AirWare and took it apart. I like the programming from Sirius better. Who can argue with an all Elvis station? He tells me the Sirius satellites fly at a higher altitude. That means fewer drops out caused by trees and 18 wheelers. I have had the two side by side and he is right. In a boat, not much of a problem but if you are thinking of a plug and play in order to move it from your car and home to the boat, I would go with Sirius. My 2 cents worth.

Andy

EUSTACE
10-25-2005, 09:50 AM
I have XM, I think both are pretty compatible I just liked XM’s equipment a little better, besides O & A blow Stern away. ;)

Yellowmobius
10-25-2005, 09:52 AM
I like the iPod wired direct to the deck.
Who is O & A?

We generally come off the water with Bob and Tom on the iPod.

EUSTACE
10-25-2005, 11:24 AM
“Hoo Hoo tell em’ Fred, I invented that”

Opie & Anthony

http://www.opieandanthony.com