PDA

View Full Version : Pulling an empty trailer?

Livindadream
10-21-2005, 06:20 AM
Never had to pull an empty trailer more than a mile or two at slow speeds. This weekend I have to pull mine about 70 miles north on I-75. Anything I need to know?

zabooda
10-21-2005, 09:59 AM
You'll hear every bump. Noisy without the boat on it but nothing to worry about.

AL02REDMOBLSV
10-21-2005, 11:05 AM
Take your guide pole covers off! The rattling and banging seems much worse when they are "hopping" on the poles. Just pull them straight up and put them in the truck. Make sure your air pressure is identical in both tires. One pound of difference can make it hop all over everywhere, this goes for a weighted trailer as well. Even pressure helps it keep from swaying.

delbert
10-21-2005, 11:12 AM
May also want to consider using the brake lock out if your truck can handle the braking for both.

Livindadream
10-21-2005, 11:25 AM
Thanks guys. Delbert, that is what I am most concerned about. I know a couple times the thing has started hopping on me when empty if I hit the brakes too hard. I will be traversing Jellico Mountain on the Tn/Ky border, and will have to use the brakes at least some, and maybe more if some moron cuts me off. How do I disable them?

lowdrag
10-22-2005, 08:14 AM
The brake lockout is mostly for emergency backing situations and will fall out when the pressure is taken off of the tongue unless you do something to secure it. If you travel with an empty trailer much it might be worth it to just wire a simple switch in line with the fifth wire on the harness that is fed by the same circuit as the reverse lights. That way you can just turn the brakes on and off when you think you need them. Only downside is that you would definitely want to check the switch every time you pull the trailer loaded.

james yarosz
10-22-2005, 08:33 PM
I have heard a Nickel will fit in the hole where the brake lockout goes.You would probally have to duct tape it in.Make sure you take it out when you load the boat.;)