PDA

View Full Version : Sub installation

Sampp1963
01-01-2013, 09:56 PM

This is where I would like to install my sub.... Any one has done it at this location ? Any advice?

KG's Supra24
01-01-2013, 10:31 PM
Haven't seen it on this board (that i can remember) but i think earmark has a couple in their galleries.

Thinking free air, build a box to the wall, or installing a vent with a box in the cubby? Any reason for not going in the traditional under the helm spot?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Sampp1963
01-02-2013, 06:30 PM
KG..... seems to be easier to install it on the board and I'm afraid of missing leg room if I install it under the helm spot.. I also have a heater under the helm...afraid of having the sub to over heat

EarmarkMarine
01-02-2013, 07:15 PM
I also prefer the direct radiation of the starboard side under helm sub even with a fairly shallow enclosure.
Two 8-inch bass-reflex subs would be tiny and still sound great! ....actually way more output than a sealed 10-inch in the same size displacement. And you could run the heater tube & vent around the enclosure. But if the boat will not cooperate I understand.
The issue that I have with the pass-through location is you are splitting the sub's output evenly between the cockpit area and bow area, and I would normally give full priority to the cockpit with little concern for bass in the bow.
To make the most out of using the pass-through wall as your woofer baffle, check and see if there are any structural members running up the interior of the pass-through wall. If not, and the inside surface is flat, then you can sandwich the pass-through wall with a woofer on the outside and mount a small sealed enclosure to the inside. This would give you both an 'air suspension' woofer and direct radiation. This would yield better performance than any 'infinite baffle' type woofer. Not that an 'IB' woofer can't sound great at limited output because it can. But it just can't compete with the longer excursions and higher output levels of an 'air suspension' type woofer.

David

Sampp1963
01-05-2013, 10:26 AM
Tanks David,
You're right....There is some structural members in the pass-through. So under the helm is the best choice. I just have to build a box not to big to keep my leg room space.