PDA

View Full Version : Lake Cumberland

smokedog2
10-19-2005, 10:49 PM
I’m seriously considering driving 4.5 hours to Lake Cumberland (one way) and look at a new gated lake front development (Sandstone Point) just outside Monticello.

The land Company is McKeough. They have also done a development, Crescent Ridge, on Dale Hollow. (www.lakecumberlandwaterfront.com)

As long as I’m down there does anyone have another area they would suggest?

Does anyone know the reputation of the developer?

The lake front lots range from 42,000 to 120,000. I’m most interested in a 45,000 lot.

I’m years away from building for retirement but figure if I do not get a lake front lot in the next few years, I will never be able to afford one.

Does anyone out there have an opinion on this option, or an alternative?

I think I would prefer to get property on Table Rock Lake in MO but there is no way I can get out there to actually look at the property any time soon.

I plan to retire on the water with my LSV!

SD2

smokedog2
10-20-2005, 07:30 AM
Cumberland is over 65,000 acres. Average lot is 2 acres, 16 pages of covenants (deed restrictions) to go with the gate but that is what protects the property value.

The biggest issue is the steep drop to the lake. Also, the Army Corps of Engineers owns the land next to the lake so it has a buffer of trees all around it (nice view), but you have to kiss their ring to get a dock and they are now limiting those to marinas. I’m calling:

http://www.thetimberlinecorp.com/stillwater/StillwaterPhotoGallery.htm

Today.

Florida is an example of why I feel the need to start buying now.

SD2

Yellowmobius
10-20-2005, 08:28 AM
Wow, that looks AWESOME

Go for it!

qb12
10-20-2005, 09:18 AM
Smoke, that looks beautiful. I still love Tablerock, but that is very nice, especially for the $$$$.

Good luck.

Doug

smokedog2
10-20-2005, 10:04 AM
Yea,

I’ve been calling and talking. These developers are either all go to the same marketing school or are just steeped in rude.

Sandstone finally sent me a plat map with prices and e-mailed the covenants. Stillwater says they don’t have a plat yet or the prices set (this is phase three and the same thing Sandstone told me two weeks before the “Grand Opening”). The Stillwater grand opening is Oct 29th and no plat map or price. They don’t know the lat-long to get an aerial or topo map view. Heck I couldn’t even get decent directions unless I signed up for a “showing” the day of the GO.

Stillwater is “above” alligator 1 marina. Looks like a lot of boat traffic to me. I’m nearing the point where I will gather some grand opening info and go visit 3-4 developments in January. Too much obvious hype to generate impulse panic day of sale buying for my taste.

Maybe I should sign up, not show, call every month or so and wear them down a bit. If it were me I would get every bit of information I could think of on the web site. It would cut the curiosity seekers down, and let me market to those that are really interested, as opposed to those I think I can turn into “owners” if I can deliver my pitch in the right environment.

Off course the other alternative is that this stuff is selling so well they really do not care if I buy or not, someone else is already on hold. Who knows?

I’m leaning toward staying home, I’ll let you know.

SD2

james yarosz
10-20-2005, 07:27 PM
I've spent a-lot of time on Cumberland and Dale hollow.They are both beautiful lakes. I have NEVER seen a private dock on either.My understanding is all the lake front property is owned by the Federal Govt.and will never be developed.We bought a lot on Lake Greenwood in S.C. It's owned by the county and you can have docks.Next time you talk to the developers ask them if they have any "dockable" lot's.;)

Livindadream
10-21-2005, 06:15 AM
smoke, I have spent a ton of time on all the Kentucky/TN lakes. They are all great, but Cumberland, for what I like to do, is my least favorite. You may want what is offers, and therefore it will be the place for you. Cumberland is what I call a "testosterone lake". Lots of big Baja's, cabin cruisers, etc that really bang up the lake and make it tough to find glass water, especially on the weekends. It's a party lake, with one area, The Falls, much like the infield of a NASCAR event, meaning no way will I take my kids, who are 8 and 5, anywhere near there, as they will get an early start on the sex ed thing. When it came time to buy a vacation home, one place stood out to me...Norris. Check out this link, which is the community I bought in, but there are a few others on the lake. Norris is very large as well, 160 miles from end to end, and all ski-able water. There are a ton of marinas, and especially the three or four within a 20 minute boat ride of Deerfield are really cool and offer sit down eating, beers, etc. From my front door, I have 62 concrete steps to navigate until I am on my dock. I bought a lakefront condo, simply so I didn't have to worry about maintenace, but there are lots available all over, and most are in the price range you are looking in. I know directly of one lakefront lots with 2.5 acres, waterfront, that is currently $90k. Norris is still primarily a recreation lake, has a self contain law on the houseboats(Cumberland does not, or at least did not) which makes it one of the ten cleanest lakes(just read this stdudy, forgot where) in the country. Very deep, with main channel in the 200 ft range, but the entire lake makes a depth finder obsolete. Property values on Norris are appreciating in the 15% range right now, chump change for Fl but good most places. Here is a link, but a google search will provide many more options. Ed, for that same $300k, I bought a 2300 sq ft, 4BR lakefront condo with its own dock and a pool. Now is the time.

http://deerfieldresort.com/propsale.htm

smokedog2
10-21-2005, 09:42 AM
Very interesting. Deerfield did not have the lot you mentioned. Do you have a link for that?

tx

SD2

smokedog2
10-21-2005, 09:50 AM
Hey, LD happy Birthday! if I can figure out how I'll PM you my cell. I'm currious to know if you rent out your condo with the renatal system and how often you really get to go. Dogs are big part of our life so I'm sure I'm looking at a house in retirement. My wife will not have it any other way.

tx

SD2

Livindadream
10-21-2005, 10:14 AM
No link to that property, but we pass it on the way to the condo. Nice piece of property in a great location toward the back end of a nice cove. Very short, meaning less that two or three minutes, no wake zone, although it really isn't a no wake zone. I am going to be at the condo this weekend. Don't know you, but our place is about 30 minutes of exit 134 in Tennessee. You are welcome to swing by and check it out if you are going to be out. I will check it, and get you a phone number, although it is listed by Madelline Fields, the same lady on the websight. Ask her about the property for sale on Doe Lane.

smokedog2
10-21-2005, 12:46 PM
tx I got them. There are search engines that do nothing but troll the net looking for e-mail addresses to pick-up and spam. You might want to edit the above and pull you e-mail addresses. The less of a trail you leave the better. My dad just found out yesterday his ID was stolen. $18,000 in bad debt found so far.

Just because you are paranoid does not mean they are not out to get you.

tx again,

SD2

Oh, did you have to cook for Japan week? I had fried rice today

greygoose
10-24-2005, 05:13 PM
Check out Bay Pointe Condos on Wheeler Lake (Part of the Tennessee River Chain)in Athens, AL. Nice thing aobut the area is you are 4 hours from the mountains, 5.5 hours from the gulf coast and we can ski pretty much year round. Go to www.bay-hill.com for the information and click on the lBay Pointe link. Nice condos on a very nice part of the river, good schools, great community, good marina you can walk to fro your condo and a Moomba Supra Dealer (Alabama Watersports) within 10 minutes of the marina and condominium project. Kim and Terry are great people and the condos are going to be 1st class when finished. I own the Moomba Supra dealership not the marina or condos.

smokedog2
10-26-2005, 11:09 AM
Alabama would be just a little far. I called Stillwater at Cumberland. No, no prices or plat maps ahead of time and they expect to be sold out at their grand opening, I really ought to get there. They are headed to Tennessee after this sale. It sounds like the roving car “sales” where a sales team comes in, runs a serious ad campaign and then rips the lungs out of anyone foolish enough to buy that week.

Even if it is not more about the pitch than the property, I’d think a price and a plat would be a reasonable request before I made a five hour drive.

I suspect I’ll be driving to Deerfield in a couple weeks.

The Village on Norris wants $300k+ for a lake front lot so Stillwater may really have some great deals. Maybe I'm already too late.

Who knows,

SD2

greygoose
10-26-2005, 11:15 AM
Smokedog

Where are you located?

Greygoose

smokedog2
10-26-2005, 11:48 AM
I'm tempted to tell you to ask Ed G, He is the intelligence arm of SC:p

Ohio, just north of Cincinnati.
I bought my boat from George, who was a great addition to the SC team. My only complaint is that he didn’t talk me into a Supra like he did my buddy Ron.
(I say that only because I know he will here about it and it will wind him right up)

SD2

smokedog2
10-26-2005, 04:24 PM
Ed, Ed, Ed, my Moomba e-mail alert tells me you took the bait but it appears you then spit it out and hit the delete button.

Oh, well it’s still fun fishing.

SD2
;)

smokedog2
12-02-2005, 02:40 PM
Well,

It looks like Norris is in the running for the top spot.

I'm headed to Deerfield the 9th. Barb & I will be looking at Deerfield, The Villages and Phase II of Overlook Bay.

SD2

smokedog2
12-11-2005, 01:08 AM
Livindadream,

We're neighbors. We bought water front on Norris at Deerfield. It is tough getting up the hill without the lung they took.

Even with the lung rappelling gear would help.

We bought the $150k lot. $30k just to build the dock - ouch.

SD2

Livindadream
12-12-2005, 09:31 AM
$30 bones for a dock? Ouch. What, are you gonna live on the thing? I am SURE Madeline referred you to Tom LeJeune at Lifetime? He is the same guy that owns the docks a the condos. Congrats and welcome to the neighborhood!!! Where is the lot at?

qb12
12-12-2005, 09:37 AM
Smokedog, congrats on the new place.

what happened to looking at table rock.

doug, tulsa

ps, pick up the new boat on thursday.

smokedog2
12-12-2005, 11:16 AM
No referral to a dock guy yet, just a price. I told her for that price I’d build my own. I have done it and could do it again. At the prices we are at, I may have to live on the dock.

The lot is on Deer Run Point, Lot 71B, the first empty lot as you turn off of Deerfield Way. I’m not sure, but I think I can do a walk out basement*.

Table Rock is just too far away to shop. With this property I feel insulated against lake front appreciation. I can always sell it and get one on Table Rock. My wife really wanted to be closer to a big city. Knoxville is about an hour away. Her family and my brother are in North Carolina, another factor. Finally, my wife was ready to pull the trigger. I try not to let those opportunities get away. Barb whined the whole ride in about being in the boonies. Then we stopped at the gate (she likes manned gates) and she counted 30 deer on our little tour around the development.

There is more to the story but I have to start calling banks.

* FYI the rest of the world - the lot resembles and double black diamond ski slope – with trees. We better stay healthy.

SD2

08-14-2006, 09:57 PM
I bought a lot at Sandstone Point (Lake Cumberland). No regrets. McKeough Land Company is great...no pressure to buy, just great views and seclusion. Can't wait get the construction started.

Selwyn

Cyndi
08-19-2006, 12:05 PM
Lake front on Cumberland is all owned by the Corp of Engineers. There a handful of private docks scattered over the 1100 miles of shore line. There will be no more. Most of those docks (and I do mean handful) are community docks. This is a link to a cottage I own on Lake Cumberland that I no longer rent so if interested dont bother inquiring <grin> I keep it up because there is a lot of Lake Cumberland info on it.

http://www.lakecumberlandvacationrentals.com

Cyndi
08-19-2006, 12:27 PM
Originally posted by Livindadream

smoke, I have spent a ton of time on all the Kentucky/TN lakes. They are all great, but Cumberland, for what I like to do, is my least favorite. You may want what is offers, and therefore it will be the place for you. Cumberland is what I call a "testosterone lake". Lots of big Baja's, cabin cruisers, etc that really bang up the lake and make it tough to find glass water, especially on the weekends. It's a party lake, with one area, The Falls, much like the infield of a NASCAR event, meaning no way will I take my kids, who are 8 and 5, anywhere near there, as they will get an early start on the sex ed thing. When it came time to buy a vacation home, one place stood out to me...Norris. Check out this link, which is the community I bought in, but there are a few others on the lake. Norris is very large as well, 160 miles from end to end, and all ski-able water. There are a ton of marinas, and especially the three or four within a 20 minute boat ride of Deerfield are really cool and offer sit down eating, beers, etc. From my front door, I have 62 concrete steps to navigate until I am on my dock. I bought a lakefront condo, simply so I didn't have to worry about maintenace, but there are lots available all over, and most are in the price range you are looking in. I know directly of one lakefront lots with 2.5 acres, waterfront, that is currently $90k. Norris is still primarily a recreation lake, has a self contain law on the houseboats(Cumberland does not, or at least did not) which makes it one of the ten cleanest lakes(just read this stdudy, forgot where) in the country. Very deep, with main channel in the 200 ft range, but the entire lake makes a depth finder obsolete. Property values on Norris are appreciating in the 15% range right now, chump change for Fl but good most places. Here is a link, but a google search will provide many more options. Ed, for that same $300k, I bought a 2300 sq ft, 4BR lakefront condo with its own dock and a pool. Now is the time.

http://deerfieldresort.com/propsale.htm

You make it sound worth visiting. can you walk to the lake from your lot? can you have a dock at the bottom of your lot?

Cyndi
08-19-2006, 12:30 PM
I am at the lake today.. and spoke to my neighbor who sold her place at norris to come here. My understanding is Norris is very pretty and clean (because not much traffic) but it is incredibly remote and the lake is small. (Cumberland is the second largest in the country when it comes to shore line) Where my house is, near Conley Bottom the lake is fairly calm.. weekends are certainly the worst but still managable for this old woman with rods in both her neck and lower back.

The thing that would be a very big concern for me with Norris is how remote it is and watching several people hauled out of this lake from tubing and pwc accidents etc nearby competent medical centers are important to me. Also, I am a woman and when it rains I want to shop, here I have lots of antiquing, flea markets, local artist stores and even a good coffee shop.

seanpatsdad
08-19-2006, 10:37 PM
We go to Cumberland as much as possible.Average depth is 90 feet with alot of 200+ areas.You can almost always find a cove to yourself with butter water.We always camp at State Dock and usually launch at the dam and head to the slalom course area over by Grider.Cyndi you are fortunate to live there.Only down fall,is the traffic during the yard sale on 127 in August.People stop and turn with no warning.Hauling a slide in camper and boat can be difficult.Only on that weekend though.
John

smokedog2
08-20-2006, 08:39 AM
Once you have a dock on a lake you cannot go back. You can walk to the water on Norris but usually it is all stairs. I'm still looking for a good deal for water front on Norris. The lot I bought was just off the water with a walking trail (horse) to the development docks - about 100 yards. it will do for now as a toe hold but I really want my own dock.

SD2