PDA

View Full Version : Do you winterize your boat?

TheBeeZ
10-12-2005, 05:13 PM
Do you winterize your boat yourself or do you take it to the dealer? What does your dealer charge you? I would have to go back and look but I think my dealer charges $75 to winterize. I have always let him do mine but this year I may do it myself. It's not the cost, it is a bit of a pain to get it to him and pick it up.

BensonWdby
10-12-2005, 11:31 PM
The local guy here was charging $180 and he came to me (about 40 miles). This year trying someone new - not sure what they will charge... But can't afford to go without.

Having watched it done a few times - if you have the right gear doing it yourself should not be a big deal.
Looks like you need:
oil
oil pumping device to get it out
device to connect your hose to water intake
environmentally safe antifreeze
gas stabilizer
engine fogging spray.

Optional
new impeller and gasket to go with it.
Bearing grease if you want to repack wheel bearings
Spray paint if you want to touch up trailer. I just use High Gloss Rustoleum (white)

zabooda
10-13-2005, 12:27 AM
I don't know what they charge here as I do my own winterization. Discount Inboard Marine and a few other places have good advice on how to do it. The main points are to drain the water from all of the hoses, heater, shower and engine; stabilize the gas and fog the engine. I see more and more places are using antifreeze (pink stuff) and changing the oils during winterization but I went many years without using the pink stuff as it never existed and I'm more motivated in changing the oils in the spring. Do what works for you and after the first winter and nothing is broke you either did it right or you were lucky. Do the same thing next year and if nothing breaks then you could probably say you did it right. Good luck.

silverski
10-13-2005, 03:10 PM
Having winterized an i/o for 15 years, I convinced myself that I was at the point in my life where I would let someone else do it when I bought the Moomba this spring.

A call to the dealer a couple of weeks ago yeilded a price quote of $199 and they were not able to explain to me what they actually did other than change the oil and "winterize". Thought about the time involved in 2 50 mile round trips and the cost of the service and I caved.

Took me a couple of hours, but that is mostly because I wasn't familiar with the engine and the tight quarters of the V-drive. Next year should be able to knock off in an hour. I missed a Vikings game but they are terrible anyway.

james yarosz
10-13-2005, 07:27 PM
Just to let everone know I just finished replacing two freeze plugs in a friends boat.He used the "PINK" stuff to winterize last winter.THE "PINK" STUFF FREEZES. His boat is an I/O. I had to lift the motor and pull the motor mounts to replace the freeze plugs. Not much fun.I stick with the "GREEN" stuff.

zabooda
10-13-2005, 09:39 PM
See, I can't even keep up with the colors! I stick with the cheap clear stuff called air. Thanks for letting people know about the pink stuff.