PDA

View Full Version : Etx cat manifold problem

moomba88
12-24-2012, 04:51 AM
Hello everyone i'm new to the forum, Im from Kuwait and own a 2010 moomba lsv with an indmar 340hp salt series engine.Im far away from any indmar dealer and my moomba dealer isnt really helpfull and lack knowldge about indmar engines, hopefully i will get some help from you guys..

I was doing annual service on the engine and when i turned the engine on after changing oil i heard a loud noise coming from the left etx manifold right at the end circle where it meets with the exhaust with a little water/coolant leak.
I opened the parts up and found that end circle of the etx has coroded and obvious gaps/holes are what causing the problem.I will attach some pics to make what Im talking about clear..

What i would like to hear is that this is covered under the warranty! If not please i would like some recomendations about what to do ? Shall i weld or patch the holes? Is a certain type of welding needed for this type of exhaust manifold? Or should i just email indmar and get a new one shipped to kuwait?

About what caused this problem i think it might be because of me using the throttle when in reverse or something else Im not sure.
I also operate my boat in salt water all the time and it has 280hrs on it.

I would appriciate any input or help thanks in advance.1667716678

jmb
12-24-2012, 10:49 AM
If I had to guess, it would be salt water issues. In my experience with salt water in past with my other boat, I was replacing exhaust manifolds and risers every 3 to 5 years. I flushed the boat after every use. If it's a salt water issue, I doubt Indmar would cover it. This is just my opinion. I quit salt water but I realize you may have no choice.

moomba88
12-24-2012, 12:55 PM
I definetly agree salt water caused this problem, i just dont understand how saltwater got to the manifold as i have the salt series (closed cooling) engine.Yes we dont have any fresh water lakes only sea water creeks.
Thanks for the input Jack.

beat taco
12-24-2012, 01:34 PM
You have the full fresh water system with one price exhaust risers that use coolant, therefore no salt water should be in there. Sounds like a warranty issue.
How does the heat exchanger and zinc anodes look?

beat taco
12-24-2012, 04:47 PM
*One piece* auto correct got me!

rdlangston13
12-24-2012, 06:06 PM
Salt water is some nasty stuff, it wreaks havoc on us at work

Sent from my iPhone newtys droid killer using Tapatalk

moomba88
12-25-2012, 01:18 AM
Hey Jake my heat exchanger looks great and the anode is still above half length, but how could the anode relate to this?
I will be trying to reach indmar myself i guess my moomba dealer doesnt even answer the phone.
Thanks for the input and merry Christmas.

beat taco
12-25-2012, 02:02 AM
No relation. Just trying to understand the condition of the boat overall. From the severe break at the edge of the weld I think it has poor penetration. Tough to tell from just a picture but it seems possible that the rust is a result of them leaking once they cracked and then eventually severely failed. Total guess. I'd be shipping them to indmar and getting their expert opinion. I guess the question is who would you want removing them? Indmar can probably help there too.

moomba88
12-25-2012, 07:41 AM
I guess i'll be contacting indmar after the holidays, hope to get back on the water asap.

jmb
12-25-2012, 10:13 AM
I think salt water still has to go through the risers and all even though it is a closed loop system. I may be wrong but I think it may be the case. Start your boat with a fake-a-lake and if water is coming out of the exhaust then it is raw water not closed loop water if that makes sense. Not totally sure how all that works.

beat taco
12-25-2012, 02:55 PM
There is no salt water in the engine or exhaust system on an indmar assault ss. It is completely closed. It has tanks and a circulating pump.

DOCDRS
12-25-2012, 03:09 PM
The cooling raw sea water has to be expelled some where ......most likely just after the exhaust manifold where the tstat housing exhaust dump hose is located on a non sea water unit, just after the exhaust mani to cool the muffler. It is probably close enough to still cause corrosion in this area......how about a larger pic of the motor area??

jmb
12-25-2012, 10:21 PM
Thats what I was getting at with what DOCDRS said. Somewhere raw sea water has to come in and it has to go out. Somewhere is a heat exchanger.

deerfield
12-25-2012, 11:59 PM
Quote from Indmar saltwater series engines:

"Indmar SaltWater Series cooling systems are completely closed loop systems. That means salt water will never enter the engine system or the exhaust manifolds."

Again, salt water "will never enter the engine system or the exhaust manifolds."

Here's the link: http://www.indmar.com/Engine/moomba/5.7lassault345.aspx

jmb
12-26-2012, 10:24 AM
Interesting. Don't know how that works exactly but pretty cool

DOCDRS
12-26-2012, 01:01 PM
Quote from Indmar saltwater series engines:

"Indmar SaltWater Series cooling systems are completely closed loop systems. That means salt water will never enter the engine system or the exhaust manifolds."

Again, salt water "will never enter the engine system or the exhaust manifolds."

Here's the link: http://www.indmar.com/Engine/moomba/5.7lassault345.aspx

I read that too , but there is also this

If you use your boat in Salt or Brackish Water Ride Australia and Supra boats recommend a fresh water cooled engine or the salt water series engine. Salt Water series and fresh water series engines still require flushing.

The cooling water has to be discharged into the exhaust (which is not the exhaust manifold) to keep the exhaust rubber and fibreglass muffler cooled. Depending where it is dumped in (see pic) corrosion could definitely occur at the housing interface. An exploded view (pic ) is needed

beat taco
12-26-2012, 08:55 PM
I read that too , but there is also this

If you use your boat in Salt or Brackish Water Ride Australia and Supra boats recommend a fresh water cooled engine or the salt water series engine. Salt Water series and fresh water series engines still require flushing.

The cooling water has to be discharged into the exhaust (which is not the exhaust manifold) to keep the exhaust rubber and fibreglass muffler cooled. Depending where it is dumped in (see pic) corrosion could definitely occur at the housing interface. An exploded view (pic ) is needed

Interesting. Wish I could see more pics. The difference between the FWC and FFWC was that on an FWC engine it was common to have to replace the riser every couple of years even with flushing the raw side of the system regularly.
On the FFWC engine you eliminate the riser corrosion issues.
That's all I was saying, both systems are considered full fresh water systems. I definitely agree you still have to flush the raw side of the system regularly. As JMB said it still has the exchanger.

DOCDRS
12-27-2012, 03:17 PM
Jake, I was not trying to contradict you , just further the thread on how corrosion may have happened. And yes, I too would like to see ( on his engine) where they dump the water to cool the muffler otherwise the rubber and fiberglass would melt from the heat. The cat exhausts I think has allowed them to close cool the exhaust mani/risers as they are a single casting

jmb
12-27-2012, 08:54 PM
Thats where I'm at with this Doc. Not going to argue though. The exhaust has to be cooled one way or the other.

moomba88
04-14-2013, 03:21 PM
Guys I don't know if your still around this thread, I'm sorry for the late reply I went to work abroad for a couple of months and was away from the boat or forum.
I ended up changing the etx cat manifolds which did cost me a lot!
Doc you are right and the picture you posted looks a lot like my engine I just have a heat exchanger more, the raw water is expelled thru those stainless steel elbows which might have caused the corrosion in that area.. Other possible causes of this is that I have mixed diff type of coolants, using the throttle when in reverse (which can lead to that raw water is pushed up), salt water dripping over engine compartment(from boards and ppl coming out of the water)
I'm still not sure what exactly caused the problem.. Although I do flush my engine with fresh water every time I use it.
Thanks a lot and sorry again for being late.
Cheers

DOCDRS
04-14-2013, 08:08 PM
Using throttle in reverse is highly unlikely to cause this if you you look at the muffler plus increased exhaust pressure when that is occurring. I would enlarge the drain on the bottom port side of your muffler to drain the salt water out of your muffler before you flush the cooling system after use. There is quite a reservoir in these mufflers so a source of back corrosion while the boat is sitting if the system is not flushed for a long period of time......about the only extra thing you can do that I can think of off hand.

moomba88
04-16-2013, 10:23 AM
Thanks a lot doc I will look into enlarging the drain for sure and flush after each use internally and externally.
Your other threads and replies have been very useful to me also.
Cheers

DOCDRS
04-16-2013, 06:21 PM
I'm not sure how the internal of the muffler is constructed to hold so much water or as to why or if necessary . You may want to remove it and take a look. Also , I'm not sure if its a male female fitting glassed into the muffler or just a threaded screw as I have not taken a close look. You just don't want to have a leak at this fitting is all i'm saying. Theoretically I don't see an issue going bigger just trying to cover all bases.