PDA

View Full Version : Adding Tower speakers and AMP to Outback

e420x
10-11-2005, 10:03 AM
I have a 2002 Outback and want to add tower speakers and a amp to the system. Ihave the rad-a cage and was wondering where people mounted the amp and how they ran the wires for the tower speakers...do u just drill thru the tower and fish the wires out?

Buttafewcoe
10-11-2005, 12:39 PM
My '04 wasn't a year old b4 I had the dealer mount mine. It cost a little extra, but they did a clean job
hope this helps
Butta

BensonWdby
10-11-2005, 07:56 PM
I have a 99 Mobius with an after-delivery added Rad-a-cage. Yes there are three holes drilled in the tower tube. One by each speaker and one near one of the mount points. Then through the top of the hull and on into the interior.

Where the cables are exposed they are wrapped in a hollow corrugated plastic tube that is split so you can teke it off/on, but very stiff so it does not remove itself.

In our particualr case they ran the whirs throug a rear support for the tower, and since it is old style there are only two per side - no ohinge in the middle. This required me to fold my tower backward to get it in the garage - which actually is not that bad if we could only get some easier through-bolts. Currently I need a large allen wrench,,

Actually I find we don't use the stereo all that much. In order to hear it while behind the boat it has to be really loud and I won't do that to the homeowners on the lake. We also find that the tower mounted speakers are very diretional. Under them, by the driver they are not loud at all but at the same time, at the back of the boat they can be pretty loud.

TheBeeZ
10-12-2005, 05:07 PM
I mounted my amp in the storage area on the passanger side (up off the floor). The wires went through the tower. I had to drill to holes where they come out.

TIP: After I drilled my holes, I put dental floss in the far end and used a shop vac to suck it through the tower and out the holes I drilled. Once it came out I tied the wires to the floss and pulled them through. It took less than 10 minutes including the drilling!