PDA

View Full Version : My New Tow Rig and Daily Driver

maxpower220
12-07-2012, 09:14 PM
Well, after a lot of searching and many various test drives I settled on a new truck. Being a large town (Tampa) there are many dealers of the same brands, so as a shopper, you get a lot of haggle power. You can also narrow down exactly what your trade is worth to a dealer (Every dealer was within about $500 of each other after "real numbers" were shown).

I had two Chevy Avalanches and both were excellent trucks. I would highly recommend that vehicle to anyone looking for a solid everyday driver and tow truck.

Pictures and more info to follow.

Mikey
12-07-2012, 10:15 PM
Glad to hear you have hopefully found a truck you like and a deal to go with it. Here we have numerous dealers for various brands...But it pays to know that many dealers Owners own more than one dealership. Where i deal with ,the owner actually owns 3 Ford dealerships,1 dodge and a toyota dealership yet you can still price one against the other to some degree as they are allowed to have independant managers who all are expected to do the best they can. Likely the same there as well.

I have never bought a new vehicle outright , without some financing involved so using trade in values etc is usually a mute point. For me its ...i don't care what the retail price or adjusted price with rebates financing % etc is.. It come down to WHAT are the payments,for how long. Then start playing the back and forth numbers game.

Anyway Good luck and post up some pics as you are well aware everyone will be asking..

maxpower220
12-08-2012, 04:46 PM
Here it is, 2013 F-150 Crew EcoBoost.

wolfeman131
12-08-2012, 04:55 PM
Wow! Great looking truck!

Hoopskier
12-08-2012, 05:44 PM
Looks good, enjoy that new car smell.

deerfield
12-08-2012, 07:28 PM
Sweet! That's a winner!

Mikey
12-08-2012, 11:20 PM
Nice and trust me you will have fun with the Ecoboost motor.

KG's Supra24
12-09-2012, 02:48 PM
Congrats on the new truck

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk

jmvotto
12-09-2012, 02:54 PM
Wow, lots of Chevy guys going ford, nice looking ride...

maxpower220
12-09-2012, 10:56 PM
I test drove just about everything. The most impressive truck I drove was a new F250 6.7. That motor is unbelievable, of course so it the price tag. Not much compares to 800 ft/lbs of TQ. In the end, I don't tow enough to justify a diesel and that added cost. If price was no object, that would be my ride. GMC/Chevy trucks just seemed exactly like my Avalanche (not a bad thing), but after 8 years I was ready for a change. The Ridgeline was unimpressive in options. I tested a "loaded" RTL (I think that was the letters) and it did not have rear camera, bluetooth, heated/cooled seats. It was sad how much it DID NOT have. Of course the price was nice. I drove Nissan ProX4, but didn't care for the interior stylings. Drove a Ram 2500 Cummings and went back to talk numbers after some research and it was sold (it was a 12 used for a great price). Ram doesn't have the V6/8speed out for a while in the new truck. No one had a Hemi with 8 speed and no one had a air ride. Summer for a lot of that.

For the 150, both the 5.0 and EB are nice. The 5L just seemed very much like my 5.3 GM. The EB is very different. I drove the 5.0 and thought it was nice, then got in the EB and could really tell a lot of difference, then got in the Avy to leave and it felt like a pig.

My only complaint in the EB is the loss of a throaty V-8. Youtube EB exhaust and it's not pretty. The backup camera on the Ford is much better with a lot of options that my Avy did not have. I already like the number pad to lock/unlock the truck, nice for trail riding on my bike. The gauge cluster info center is a lot of fun. I took my nav/radio out fo the Avy and may put it in the 150 (but there is no dash kit out yet). I have to test out the Sync system for a while.

mmandley
12-10-2012, 11:05 AM
I test drove just about everything. The most impressive truck I drove was a new F250 6.7. That motor is unbelievable, of course so it the price tag. Not much compares to 800 ft/lbs of TQ. In the end, I don't tow enough to justify a diesel and that added cost. If price was no object, that would be my ride. GMC/Chevy trucks just seemed exactly like my Avalanche (not a bad thing), but after 8 years I was ready for a change. The Ridgeline was unimpressive in options. I tested a "loaded" RTL (I think that was the letters) and it did not have rear camera, bluetooth, heated/cooled seats. It was sad how much it DID NOT have. Of course the price was nice. I drove Nissan ProX4, but didn't care for the interior stylings. Drove a Ram 2500 Cummings and went back to talk numbers after some research and it was sold (it was a 12 used for a great price). Ram doesn't have the V6/8speed out for a while in the new truck. No one had a Hemi with 8 speed and no one had a air ride. Summer for a lot of that.

For the 150, both the 5.0 and EB are nice. The 5L just seemed very much like my 5.3 GM. The EB is very different. I drove the 5.0 and thought it was nice, then got in the EB and could really tell a lot of difference, then got in the Avy to leave and it felt like a pig.

My only complaint in the EB is the loss of a throaty V-8. Youtube EB exhaust and it's not pretty. The backup camera on the Ford is much better with a lot of options that my Avy did not have. I already like the number pad to lock/unlock the truck, nice for trail riding on my bike. The gauge cluster info center is a lot of fun. I took my nav/radio out fo the Avy and may put it in the 150 (but there is no dash kit out yet). I have to test out the Sync system for a while.

Might look into the changing out the stereo of the new 13 F150s, its so integrated into the main system of the truck im not sure thats an option any longer, to remove it that is. With its voice command, and the other features they have it tied into you might really cripple the electronics of the truck.

maxpower220
12-10-2012, 11:23 AM
There are a few companies that make adapters to install aftermarket radios. Some of the Sync functions will be lost. At this point, I'm not sure that I am going to change it out (although I will miss the DVD playing feature and a visual map). I like the radio display and the sync intergration.

kaneboats
12-10-2012, 02:35 PM
Sweet truck! Congrats!

moombadaze
12-10-2012, 08:51 PM
Sweet truck! Congrats!

exactly what he said

Mikey
12-10-2012, 09:53 PM
I'm glad you like the EB. I've heard/ read lots of people first try the 5.0 ,and are quite happy,but the few that try the EB,likely are so much more impressed its actully and easy upsale.
As for your version of sync,there are 2 versions i believe . mine is the simpler version,not quite all the features but more than enough for what i want. Digital door locks are definetely nice for the times i have no place to carry keys. i lock em in ,hidden of course and go,then just key in number and walla...your in. Would i do this all the time??no ,but it has its benefits.

As for the throaty growl. There are quite a few exhaust upgrades,which mostly all make them noisier to whatever degree. I'm trying to find one that upgrades power,is all Stainless and Doesn;t increase noise too much or then I,m never gonna hear the end of it as my wife Drives the truck more than i do. Also muffler choice will dictate as well.

snowboardcorey
12-11-2012, 06:44 PM
Doh! Everyone's upgrading, you guys are making it tough to keep the 07'!

maxpower220
12-12-2012, 08:21 AM
I had to get something new before the end of the world. So, effectively it won't cost me anything and I will enjoy a new truck for a week.

If, on the outside chance the world doesn't end, I'm keeping the economy going before we fall over the fiscal cliff.

04OUTBACK
12-12-2012, 10:50 AM
Love it. Loving my 2012 Ecoboost.. just hit 1500 miles.. tows like a Dream. I spend some time in a 250 with Powerstroke at work and had really thought hard about that for my truck.. but couldnt stomach $4 gal gas and size. I was NOT disappointed when i towed a few weeks ago!

mmandley
12-12-2012, 12:47 PM
Love it. Loving my 2012 Ecoboost.. just hit 1500 miles.. tows like a Dream. I spend some time in a 250 with Powerstroke at work and had really thought hard about that for my truck.. but couldnt stomach $4 gal gas and size. I was NOT disappointed when i towed a few weeks ago!

I can see your point here.

I was at the dealer a couple weeks back and looked at the new 13 Eco-Boost but i didnt drive it. I really liked all the changes they made since my 06 version i had.

I just coudlnt bring myself to step back into the smaller F150 again. I was very tempted but just coupldnt do it yet.

Now they have an ALL NEW 2013 Dodge Ram 2500-3500 out and its shweet
2014 will being out the new Chevy D Max rigs
I expect the F250-F350 will get interior and Bodt reword for 2015

I will upgrade around that time just not sure if i will stay with F series or actually go Ram. I have really liked the Ram trucks body styling since they redid it in 2010. Now with new interior and finally a new drive train, im really liking them more and more

beat taco
12-12-2012, 02:34 PM
Looks like some big improvements for the Ram. A few I remember off the top of my head..
Aisin tranny now available in 2500 and 3500 trucks, if you have ever beat the you know what out of a Toyota you know they are bomb proof, been available in the heavy duty ram 4500 and up trucks for years.
A stronger hydroformed frame and three power options in the cummins based on the three tranny options.
A different front axle disconnect for better mileage, also the 3500 4x4 only will get a new 3 link (I think?) front suspension.
And it's already got styling people like. I think things are looking up for them . I've always loved the cummins just not everything else that came with it.

Ian Brantford
01-07-2013, 08:14 AM
Congrats on the new wheels. Mostly likely you'll continue grinning from ear to ear for many years to come. I see that you did not mention getting "Ford MyTouch", which is probably a good thing. Ford is doing a great job of making certain valuable features available in trim levels below the "loaded" in many models.

I recommend that you just leave the exhaust as is before going to further expense to make it sound like a V8. Before long, you'll probably just be happy with the real-world performance, realise that your manhood is fine without that sound, and want to keep things in factory spec for no-argument warranty protection.

Someone must have misdirected you to whatever lower trim level they had in stock from 2012 at the Honda dealer. The Ridgeline RTL has heated seats as standard. As of 2013, all trim levels have a rearview camera as standard. There is a trim level above RTL, which is "RTL with Navi", which is mainly a technology package that includes navigation, bluetooth, voice control, and so forth. It would have been obvious if they had shown you the real thing for which you were looking.

maxpower220
02-12-2013, 09:06 AM
Just as a quick update, I am still very happy with the truck. It is very comfortable and drives nicely. The power is still impressive when I need it. I drive 1000 miles round trips once a month for work, so I am just over 6000 miles on it now. The lifetime fuel average is now at 18.8 mpg. My last road trip, I average 20.2 on the interstate (72 mph). Both of these numbers are better than my 2WD Avy in the same driving conditions.

mmandley
02-12-2013, 11:43 AM
Just as a quick update, I am still very happy with the truck. It is very comfortable and drives nicely. The power is still impressive when I need it. I drive 1000 miles round trips once a month for work, so I am just over 6000 miles on it now. The lifetime fuel average is now at 18.8 mpg. My last road trip, I average 20.2 on the interstate (72 mph). Both of these numbers are better than my 2WD Avy in the same driving conditions.

Thats great to hear, if the EPA ever comes swinging the big Axe to my suped up Diesel its nice to know i can go back to a decent gas truck with twin turbos. Once you have a Twin GVT Turbos you cant go back to singles LOL