PDA

View Full Version : Busted! Tinted windows too dark

bergermaister
12-05-2012, 12:07 PM
Well my luck ran out - on the way in to work this morning I got pulled over by a State Patrol K9 unit. I know my windows are over the limit for too dark and I wasn't speeding or anything so as I came to a stop I rolled them both down just in case that was why I caught his attention.

Sure enough. He was nice enough and said that last month an officer here in town was shot approaching a vehicle with dark windows. Said if they can't see in from the outside then they are going to start cracking down - new policy in WA state. I tested out at 14%.

He actually thanked me for rolling down the windows for him too. Their other new policy apparently is that they will treat it like a felony stop and take you out hands drawn, at gun point if deemed necessary?, for having dark windows! Said they're not messing around or taking any chances with it now. Probably one of the nicest Staters I've had the unfortunate opportunity to meet - let me off with just a verbal warning.

Guess I know what my next project is now. I think I'll feel kind of naked without them dark though. :(

KG's Supra24
12-05-2012, 12:21 PM
Seems like our state goes through kicks where they police window tint for a couple months and then the focus shifts elsewhere. I got a ticket probably 5 years back and was told a story about why they were policing it. I see both sides but I don't see myself pulling the tint anytime soon, not trying to downplay officer safety.

Also, seems hard to police, both from logistics and a double standard point of view. Here in AR, it is a correctable offense.

bergermaister
12-05-2012, 12:52 PM
Could be the same here. I'll have to scope out what it looks like at the 24% limit. Not super dark but better than naked.

If I recall the stuff I have was advertised at 20% but guess it was a bit more! If it were mid-day I probably wouldn't have had any problems but it was dark enough this morning that I'm sure I looked totally blacked out when he got in behind me.

I can see the guy's point though. If i were on the beat and approaching a darked out vehicle I'd be a little on guard as well.

mnpracing
12-05-2012, 01:06 PM
Here in MN, any vehicle categorized as a truck or SUV, even those ugly Kia Soul's, can have blacked out windows behind the driver, and up to 50% in the front seat windows. Cars, however, are limited to 50% all around (except windshields of course). Stupid law, as it doesn't apply to limos, which include sedans used for airport car services.

wolfeman131
12-05-2012, 01:17 PM
I got popped for that waaaaay back in the early 90's w/ my Mustang. Had the headlight covers on it, too and the local cop just had a major woody writing up those tickets. Went to municipal court, showed them I had purchased the car from the local dealership (whose family was connected to the judge) and got it all dismissed.

bergermaister
12-05-2012, 01:58 PM
It's all about 'who you know'...

I was waiting for the book to come out and me start dropping names of officers I know (brother is a cop, his best friend a stater, etc.) but didn't have to go there.

Funny thing is - I haven't been pulled over or had a ticket since I was in college back in the 90's. Talk about a long time ago.

E4NASH
12-05-2012, 05:25 PM
I've never been busted for Window Tint violations and all of my vehicles have been tinted to 5% all the way around. I even have my windshield tinted 35% now. However I have been pulled over for a noise ordinance violation about 13 years ago...guess I was pushing those 3 tens a little too loud. Funny thing was there was no one and nothing around except cotton fields...and well I guess the cop hiding in one of them. Must've interrupted his on the job nap since it was about 11:00 at night.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jpetty3023
12-05-2012, 05:37 PM
I can defiantly understand their concern with Officer Safety issues. glad he was cool and gave you the verbal warning. makes the stop a little easier to swallow. not the tough decision to "tint, or not to tint"

sent from my home phone

patrick232
12-05-2012, 06:04 PM
Most of the newer cars have some tint in the glass from the factory. This is why your 20% tested 14%. The percent will vary from car mfg to car mfg. I have learned in Ohio to make sure the fronts a less than the back it helps. Have had one issue about 5 years ago. Stopped for tailgating the wife, lol.

mmandley
12-05-2012, 06:37 PM
Well my luck ran out - on the way in to work this morning I got pulled over by a State Patrol K9 unit. I know my windows are over the limit for too dark and I wasn't speeding or anything so as I came to a stop I rolled them both down just in case that was why I caught his attention.

Sure enough. He was nice enough and said that last month an officer here in town was shot approaching a vehicle with dark windows. Said if they can't see in from the outside then they are going to start cracking down - new policy in WA state. I tested out at 14%.

He actually thanked me for rolling down the windows for him too. Their other new policy apparently is that they will treat it like a felony stop and take you out hands drawn, at gun point if deemed necessary?, for having dark windows! Said they're not messing around or taking any chances with it now. Probably one of the nicest Staters I've had the unfortunate opportunity to meet - let me off with just a verbal warning.

Guess I know what my next project is now. I think I'll feel kind of naked without them dark though. :(

I know what ya mean Berg.

Hey check out Tommy's window tint in Portland, he does all our cars and did the boat for me.

In OR the windows have to be lighter then in Washington. If you want to play it on the safe side get the OR tint you wont harder know the difference but it ensures your in the limit.

Youd be surprised just how dark legal tint is.

I have legal on the truck front and factory on the rears, slightly darker.

IM not positive in OR but in AZ you can run limo on all windows except the front as long as you have a mirror on each door. No different then a panel van or anything.

zabooda
12-05-2012, 06:48 PM
Interesting, the Federal and State laws allow law enforcement to use the dark windows and I see more of them do have them.

jpetty3023
12-05-2012, 07:32 PM
Interesting, the Federal and State laws allow law enforcement to use the dark windows and I see more of them do have them.

that's due to state and federal registered vehicles having exemptions. it's also another officer safety issue to a degree.

sent from my home phone

wolfeman131
12-05-2012, 07:39 PM
Especially for the K9 units. Keeps the pups cooler in the summer.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Clamcakes
12-07-2012, 05:40 PM
All of my cars have had 5% limo tint on them. I got pulled over once by Texas Dept of Public Safety. Gave me a ticket. Told me if i take the tint off they would dismiss it. Week later drove to the office, peeled the tint off, clerk came outside took a polaroid picture of the windows and they dismissed it. Called my tinter up and he slapped another coat of 5% on.

I have an oldschool 91 300zx with limo tint all around and the entire front windshield is tinted as well.

Moseley618
12-07-2012, 07:56 PM
I got a prescription from my Dr for mine.

parrothd
12-07-2012, 09:50 PM
Illinois change the law allowing tint on front windows so everyone is installing it, however the City of Chicago decided to raise the tint parking ticket fine from $25 to $250...Gotta love the City robbing everyone that drives into the city.....

newty
12-08-2012, 12:25 AM
WA st trooper and warning are never used in the same sentence. Dude buy a lotto ticket!

Im just waiting for the wa st rape when I get pulled over in my dodge. Front plates, 6" lift w/37's and no flaps, no flairs, limo tint all the way around. not if... when.
Berg lets get together after the holidays. maybe Jan 1 and a little wakeboarding.

bergermaister
12-08-2012, 11:44 AM
True true - I may not pull it off at all. Only downside is if I ran into the SAME trooper again sometime down the road and he remembers me. Now that would be more like my kinda luck. I do wonder how much that ticket would be.

I'm curious about you guys with the doctors note that gives exemption. I remember Dusty had said something about that earlier having one and getting let go. Maybe Dr. Newty could prescribe one for me and Dr. Berg could prescribe one for Newty.

Almost forgot- you doin' the Polar Bear run again? I don't have plans as of yet.

deerfield
12-08-2012, 07:49 PM
Their other new policy apparently is that they will treat it like a felony stop and take you out hands drawn, at gun point if deemed necessary?, for having dark windows!(

Cop should never knowingly put himself in a position of compromised safety. If he loses the upper hand, bad things happen. Always, always think safety. In that sense, tinted window are bad news. I was on the other side of countless stops, some urban, some rural, some in day light, and some in the dark of night. If the driver's window had tint, my gun was in my hand. The policy in Washington may sound extreme, but I understand and support it 100%.

newty
12-08-2012, 07:50 PM
Not sure with work, we'll see. I'll let you know

rdlangston13
12-08-2012, 10:36 PM
Back in high school there was one day where we got pulled over by the same cop twice in one day.

Sent from my iPhone newtys droid killer using Tapatalk

KG's Supra24
12-09-2012, 12:16 PM
If you have tinted windows you can do both yourself and the officer a favor by rolling them down and keeping your hands in plain sight. Making them more comfortable is probably in your favor. I've had over a handful of speeding tickets with 5% and not received a window ticket at the same time. I have been pulled over once solely for tint though. Correctable offense like mentioned above, pulled the tint and replaced it after a trip to the court house. The kicker ... They took my word for it and didn't even look at the car!

It seems like one of those things they get on kicks and look for occasionallY

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

jpetty3023
12-09-2012, 12:38 PM
good advise KG

sent from my ipad2 via a wireless network which usually sucks

deerfield
12-09-2012, 10:27 PM
If you have tinted windows you can do both yourself and the officer a favor by rolling them down and keeping your hands in plain sight.

KG - You are spot on. Thanks. - Deerfield

bergermaister
12-10-2012, 02:33 AM
^ Yup - exactly what I did. I'd be flipping on the interior lights too if it were at night.

jpetty3023
12-10-2012, 10:40 AM
hey Deerfield your inbox is full sir, tried to pm you

sent from my home phone

chawk610
12-11-2012, 09:31 AM
They saw Berg rollin', they be haytin

bergermaister
12-11-2012, 10:13 AM
tryin to catch me ridin dirty

:cool:

deerfield
12-11-2012, 11:33 PM
hey Deerfield your inbox is full sir, tried to pm you

sent from my home phone

Did a little cleanup last night. Try me again. Thanks.

CarsonDean
12-19-2012, 12:09 AM
i went to the eye doctor, got a note that said i have migraines (i dont), and took it to the tax payer office and got a tint waiver. dont get tickets.. .just show em the sheet.

silverado 5% all the way around. 35% on the front windshield.