PDA

View Full Version : ATF FLUID IN V-DRIVE/ Brian Rammond

Aquaholic
09-26-2005, 06:42 PM
Hey what happens if you MIGHT have used ATF fluid in the Walter V-drive for maybe a hour and then found out that your owners manual says to use straight 30 MOTOR OOOOIIIIILLLLLL!!!!!!!!!!!! Ummmm anybody??

A sheepish Aquaholic

Brian Raymond
09-27-2005, 10:50 PM
Hopefully, it was realy just 1 hr. of useage. There are straight grooved gears in the Walters that require the straight 30 weight oils viscosity. The ATF will probably do no harm to bearings and seals, but the gears are the main concern. I would drain the ATF out, install the proper oil, back down the ramp and let run on the trailer to operating temperature, shift into fwd. an rev. several times. Drain the fluid and repeat the above at least twice, three to be sure. On the first drain. I would pour the fluid through a filter (coffee will work), to verify any metal shavings. This is not a fun, easy, or non-messy (my word) task. The drain is at the bottom port side of the V drive and holds about 1.5 qts. You may want to consider taking it to a dealer. Once all is said and done, hopefully, you will be good to go. Keep us posted, I hope all goes well. Brian Raymond

smokedog2
09-28-2005, 12:23 AM
check out http://www.synlube.com/basics.htm

lots of info, I think Brian worries too much, but I'd add a 20 hour change :p

SD2