PDA

View Full Version : 2004 lsv freeboard?

benji77
09-21-2005, 08:15 PM
hey there....

we here in oz are looking at importing a 2004 (late) into australia for wake purposes only. just a question...
I have read a few post on the lsv and ane thing that is concerning me is the small amount of freeboard that this boat offers..
Concidering that the boat will be loaded to the hilt(with riders and weight) have any lsv owners had probs with the low freeboard and water coming in over the front?
Would the xlv be a better option concidering the above.

sorry if this sounds like a reoccuring thread. just dont want to get it to australia and be dissapointed.

Thanks in advance

Benny

Yellowmobius
09-21-2005, 08:57 PM
Am I the only one on the board who doesn't know what freeboard is?
Please explain and I will try my input. I have 2004 LSV and I LOVE it!

benji77
09-21-2005, 08:59 PM
i think that it is the amount of water that the is between water level and the top of the deck at rest (sitting ont he water... not moving..)

zabooda
09-22-2005, 01:43 AM
Freeboard is a standard term used in the boating world. As far as the lack of freeboard is concerned, one gets used to having the low front and with people in the bow I often take on water coming off a plane but nothing that the bilge can't get out. The toughest time is coming off a plane when the water is rough and then I usually turn into the wind and drop the bow.

benji77
09-22-2005, 03:42 AM
so if the boat is loaded (ballast) and say you have 6 people in the back section.... does the nose get water or only when there are people in the bow section?

another question whilst your there... how is the wake on these things... are they a steep wake or a rampy wake? does it jump noticeably when the boat is loaded with ballast and people?

kcsideways
09-22-2005, 09:59 AM
Sounds as if you might want to consider the XLV. The LSV for '06 is a new hull...deeper cockpit, higher seat bases and 3''-4'' more freeboard. Hope this helps out some.

Rick Bailey
kcsideways

kcsideways
09-22-2005, 10:01 AM
Sounds as if you might want to consider the XLV. The LSV for '06 is a new hull...deeper cockpit, higher seat bases and 3''-4'' more freeboard. Hope this helps out some.

Rick Bailey
kcsideways

AL02REDMOBLSV
09-22-2005, 10:58 AM
For benefit of the other users here is a definition of "freeboard" as found on http://www.boatsafe.com/nauticalknowhow/gloss.htm

FREEBOARD - The minimum vertical distance from the surface of the water to the gunwale (GUNWALE - The upper edge of a boat's sides.)

I have a 02 LSV and I only really took on water once. The first time I took the boat out, I took on alot of water the frist time I circled through my own wake off of plane. After that I have never done it again. You get a feel for the boat and it becomes a non issue. If I had the money, I would have gone with an XLV. If money does not figure into your equation, I would go with the XLV which has a greater freeboard.

marchina
09-22-2005, 12:35 PM
Also you may consider if you're gonna use it on sea or in lake, if there is not big tides lsv may be just fine, i have an lsv 05 i use it on sea not a big tide sea and the boat is PERFECT!!!!!!, more peopple on board better wake but if money is not a problem i'll go for the 06 lsv or xlv.

happy boarding

simon

jburnside
09-22-2005, 04:18 PM
Benny,
As others have stated, the only concern you will find with the LSV will be when you are loaded down with ballast and try turning back to pick up a fallen rider. I always take my '05 LSV off plane while still traveling in a straight line and let the boat settle into the water then turn the steering wheel right and let my ensuing waves turn the boat (no power required). Then I IDLE back to my fallen rider. I see people power turning and racing back to their fallen rider all the time, unless the rider was injured in the fall take some time getting back to them. They will probably thank you when they are not fighting huge rollers and they actually have a minute or so break in-between pulls. I have never taken water over the bow of the boat even with the factory 900 lbs ballast and 6 adults in the boat. A little practice and you should have no troubles mate!

As for the question of LSV -vs- XLV go with an XLV if you are riding in big open water, otherwise the LSV will be great. I would also say the wake on the LSV with factory ballast is pretty lippy and has great pop, wake size and shape will also change with boat speed, rope length, water type (fresh or salt), and water depth.

Moomba makes great boats at great prices, we are on our second model. We started with an Outback LS and then traded up into a new Mobius LSV. Good luck.

benji77
09-23-2005, 08:26 PM
alrighty guys.... thanks for all your help on the above issues....we have decided to go for the 2004 xlv so if there is anyone out there that is selling theirs let me know via this website or on my email at [email protected]

Thanks again.

Benny