PDA

View Full Version : Tow Vehicle Capacity

brianw21
09-18-2005, 02:23 PM
I have decided to get the 05 XLV. Our 04 Nissan Xterra has a towing capacity of 5000lbs and a hitch wieght of 500lbs.

My roomates 4runner has the same limits.

So the question is, is this enough to pull the XLV and trailer? I know the XLV is 3600lbs, but coulnd't find info about how heavy the trailer is.

This is only for occasional use, and it's only 10minutes to the lake. We have rented a slip at the marina.

If it's to much I can borrow a F250, but would prefer not to.

Tiltboy
09-18-2005, 09:03 PM
I would guess the trailer is in the #800 lb range. I think that would be pushing an Xterra. Does it have a 4 or 6 cyl. engine? If you don't have any hills, and the boat ramp isn't too steep, you might be okay. Since you are spurging on a new boat, I would trade the Xterra in for an Armada!

Good luck with the new purchase!

smokedog2
09-18-2005, 09:28 PM
Part of the calc is the stopping as well as teh pulling. I would think 10 min would be fine in most cases. You will want 4x4 on the ramp.

SD2

brianw21
09-18-2005, 10:24 PM
Yeah it's the V6 supercharged 4x4

lowdrag
09-19-2005, 06:59 AM
From looking at Nissan's web site, I noticed that it only lists one towing capacity for all the models of the Xterra even though there is as much as a 400 pound difference in the curb weights of different models. Kind of leads me to believe that they've left plenty of "safety factor" in their towing capacity figures. The weak point will probably be the transmission and possibly the rear end depending on how heavily it's built. You should have plenty of power for the drive you're describing. Just make sure you take it out of overdrive when you're towing to keep the tranny from getting too hot and shortening it's life, but I don't think you'll have any problems.

qb12
09-19-2005, 08:24 AM
Brianw21, If it is a single axle trailer the weight is close to 1000 lbs. I tow with my Toyota Sequoia with no problems. Girlfriend just bought a 05 Pathfinder and it pull the boat great. As smokedog said, make sure with that light of a vehicle you have it in 4X4 when pulling it off the ramp.

Good luck with your new boat.

Nvboarder
09-20-2005, 08:00 PM
Straight out of the 05 Moomba owners manual. (Located on this site)

Boat and Trailer weight: 4800lbs (I would assume empty)

So add more weight for fuel, oil, gear, etc.

Thats pushing it if you ask me. Be smart borrow the F250.

BensonWdby
09-20-2005, 11:34 PM
If that manual is true and the 5000 lb rating is correct I would think that you are undersized.
I have pulled boats with underpowered vehicles and pretty much ruined all of them.

I can't give you a good technical reason, but I don't think I would ever pull a 4800 lb boat with a 6 banger, regardless of how it was rated (maybe a diesel??)

I would think the mfg assumes people are going to push the rating so they under rate their vehicles, but to be on the safe side I would think that boat/trailer/fuel/gear should add up to no more than 80% of the published rating in the manual, 75% prefered.

My 2cts.
Dave

Heem
10-05-2005, 03:57 PM
I to had an Xterra and had to consider the same question of tow capacity and ability. I choose to replace the Xterra with a new Titan and wait for the boat til next year. After I made the truck purchase I was discussing boats with the Nissan sales manager and he said that the 5000lb rating on the Xterra is very generous. Basically he was saying that if you are towing with any regularity don't push the max limit. Once in a while is ok but not to often. Good luck with the Xterra.

brianw21
10-11-2005, 10:27 AM
Well we did the first few trips with the F250, then tried the Xterra with the F250 on hand (just in case!). Xterra did just fine.

While I think long trips would be a bad idea, from the house to the slip was fine. In 4 low it pulled the boat out better then the 2WD F250.

e420x
10-11-2005, 04:56 PM
I tow my 02 outback with a Infiniti FX 35

Buttafewcoe
10-12-2005, 06:12 AM
Mine gets pulled with an '03 Sport Trac. It doesn't have 4WD, but it does have limited slip w/ 3.73 gearing and the 4.0 V6. Gets the job done quite nicely. I've found I like the steeper ramps better than the shallow ramps for launching the Outback.
Hope this helps
Butta

Ian Brantford
01-18-2006, 10:59 PM
I use a 1998 Toyota 4Runner with my 2005 XLV. I don't feel like I'm going to wear it out prematurely, but I agree that it is only appropriate for shorter distances (1 hour max) unless you have no hills to climb. Driving on flat roads, it's fine. I considered getting a supercharger, but it's fine for now without it (i.e. I only tow occasionally, and locally).

The biggest problem is that, at around 3500lbs, this mid-sized SUV just isn't heavy enough to stop the boat going down my usual ramp (somewhat steep loose stone surface) if there is any momentum. I have become used to the "fast and committed" launch technique. When my next truck purchase comes up, I'll get something a little bigger. Actually, the current model of 4Runner would be perfect -- I'll buy one when they give it a hybrid engine. :-)

Ian

Apharcha
04-09-2022, 12:14 AM
I am looking to replace my 2017 Infiniti QX80 AWD with 2022/23 Tesla Model Y AWD Long Range, and wondering if anyone has experience with towing these boats and what to expect? I have read the Range is significantly reduced and I’m not looking to use it for long distance moves, but just local point A to point B over short 50-70 Miles of range.
Would it be feasible to use boat launch with Model Y given it has a 3500lb payload ?

I have a 2011 Outback V with sacks but I typically would not be filling the sacks up with water and expected to avoid long distance travels

———

I have decided to get the 05 XLV. Our 04 Nissan Xterra has a towing capacity of 5000lbs and a hitch wieght of 500lbs.

My roomates 4runner has the same limits.

So the question is, is this enough to pull the XLV and trailer? I know the XLV is 3600lbs, but coulnd't find info about how heavy the trailer is.

This is only for occasional use, and it's only 10minutes to the lake. We have rented a slip at the marina.

If it's to much I can borrow a F250, but would prefer not to.

Holdmybeer
04-09-2022, 08:12 AM
Based on my search, range is reduced by 2/3 when towing at max weight.

The long range Y is 375m miles so 125 towing is what you are looking at.

I have seen several Y's towing small trailers and seadoos but never a full size boat. I wonder if the dealer would let you trying towing as part of the test drive.

zabooda
04-09-2022, 10:33 AM
Too funny. Luxury cars with trailers at a boat launch just doesn't look right. Spend some of your loose change on a real tow vehicle.

sandm
04-09-2022, 10:36 AM
just my .02. I would not tow that boat with a tesla at 3500lbs. gear, fuel and everything else that boat is easily over that when on the trailer. but to each their own.

If I was the tesla dealer, towing would be a no go for me but does tesla even have a showroom in most places? in today's car market, no one really needs to go "above and beyond" to sell a car. they are going to sell either way but you might luck into some tesla shop somewhere allowing you to hook it up.

larry_arizona
04-09-2022, 06:42 PM
Outback dry weight is 3200#, on a trailer that is 4200#

Maybe get the X with a 5000# tow capacity.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Holdmybeer
04-10-2022, 12:22 AM
I can appreciate the electric vehicle craz.

The Tesla will be an everyday car that can pull toys? However, logic at spending $65k on a Y or $105k for a X, and risking that over buying a used suv or truck as a dedicated tow rig doesn't make sense. Buy the 3 for $50 and use the $15k for a tow rig.

Hell buy the S plaid....have a hell of a time. But use the right tool for the job.

I said I have seen the Y tow, again seadoo PWC, or small landscape trailers with big screen TV from a retail store.
Never saw one pull a 3500# boat. Maybe go hybrid over full electric if you can only have 1 vehicle.

I would like to know if autonomous mode still works while towing....lol

HFarr
04-10-2022, 08:44 AM
"I would like to know if autonomous mode still works while towing....lol"

I heard it would even back it down the ramp for you, unload the boat, then go park! [emoji57]

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

Holdmybeer
04-10-2022, 08:53 AM
"I would like to know if autonomous mode still works while towing....lol"

I heard it would even back it down the ramp for you, unload the boat, then go park! [emoji57]

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

You an I both know that would be awesome. Just we also know not realistic.