PDA

View Full Version : Cover Straps

MartyC
04-17-2003, 11:48 AM
When I pull my boat with the cover on, the straps for the cover rub against the hull and leave light black marks. Anyone have any suggestions for either preventing this from happening or an easy way to get the marks off my gel coat and decals. Also, while on the cleaning topic, I have heard some people talk about wiping their boat down with something called 303 after they take it out of the water. I looked at Walmart but did not see anything like that. Does anyone know where I can find that or another wipe on, wipe off cleaner for the hull to use after you take it out of the water. Thanks.

Yellowmobius
04-17-2003, 04:17 PM
I had the same problem with the straps I noticed them wearing the paint on my trailer. I went drastic, I had something similar on my old boat. I purchased some 1/2 inch bungee cord, 2 pieces of 22 foot lengths. I then add 5 or 6 hooks space accordingly on the inside of the trailer frame.

When I put on my tarp I simply pull the bungee to the hooks.
The first time you may have to adjust the lenghts to the tightenss you want.

As for a spray on wipe off cleaner, I use Duckies. I think you can get it from Bart's.

noneya
04-17-2003, 05:34 PM
303 is a vinyl cleaner, I have heard that alot of people use a 50/50 vinegar water solution on the hull. Last year I just washed mine w/ water and had massive water spotting on it this year, we cleaned with meguires hard water spot remover and then waxed. It looks better than when I got it! So the meguires stuff says it helps prevent the spots but I doubt it, so this year I'm gonna try the vinegar

BensonWdby
04-18-2003, 05:45 PM
I have a relative who is a major boat enthusiast and runs a body shop (mainly for cars but also does boats).
He says never trailer you boat with the cover on because the cover slap will burn your gel coat.
After taking my Mobius on the road one day and getting the strap marks on the trailer I could see where he might be right.
The thing here is that it is not just that straps that are doing the damage although it is the most obvious.

I don't actually know what the net effect of 'burning' the gel coat is, but have taken his advice and always trailer without the cover.
Granted this minimizes the utility of loading the boat up with lots of stuff. It also leaves the inside of the boat exposed when you stop. So I normally bring the cover and cover it if I am going to stop for any length of time.

Brian Raymond
04-19-2003, 11:47 PM
The basic boat covers are not designed for trailering boats and are difficult for mooring and boat lift ownres. The gel damage by trailering the boat, can be costly over time. I suggest for the above to look into a tonneau and cockpit cover, which snap on to the bow and snap on from the windshield to the transom. This is a nice option for cold weather skiers because you can close off only the bow area and drastically reduce wind. Please check w/your local dealer for pricing and availability. Brian Raymond

MartyC
04-21-2003, 09:13 AM
Brian-
My cover is the custom Moomba cover that came with the boat. I was under the impression that it was ok for trailering. But if it is just for storage, please let me know. Thanks.

Brian Raymond
04-21-2003, 10:52 PM
Marty, The cover that comes with the boat is basically just a breathable storage cover when not in use. There is to much decal, gel, and other issues that occur with the straps and cover coming loose at towing speeds, if road debris and the elements of Mo' Nature are an issue when trailering(which I hope they are), the trailerable and storable cockpit and tonneau covers are a very wise investment. Brian Raymond

Pman
04-23-2003, 03:26 PM
I agree with Brian. I had a cockpit cover made and installed for my 2001 Outback. While using the boat and trailering, the cover keeps the wind and debris out of the bow and cockpit. Tell the installer to put a few extra snaps on the front to prevent the cover from peeling back while trailering. It's worth the $200.

SpdRacr
04-24-2003, 12:09 AM
Is there a better way than another at getting rid of the marks left by towing. When the dealership salesman delivered the boat to me, he had it covered, so of course I thought it was ok to tow with it. Any ideas at removing the marks, that don't come off with washing. I have thought of trying wax or lightly compounding. Thanks for the help.

Brian Raymond
04-24-2003, 10:44 PM
First, rub your finger down the damaged area, if no rigididy is felt, hand apply some Meguires cleaner/wax along the area in circular motions. This should eleviate your problem. If bumps are felt, they need to be lightly sanded with a 800-1200 grit sanding paper, buffed, glazed then waxed, with a carnauba based wax. Inform the dealer of your situation immediately, and have it repaired on your next service. Brian Raymond

Brian Raymond
04-24-2003, 10:45 PM
First, rub your finger down the damaged area, if no rigididy is felt, hand apply some Meguires cleaner/wax along the area in circular motions. This should eleviate your problem. If bumps are felt, they need to be lightly sanded with a 800-1200 grit sanding paper, buffed, glazed then waxed, with a carnauba based wax. Inform the dealer of your situation immediately, and have it repaired on your next service. Brian Raymond

sextons
01-19-2004, 03:10 PM
Is it possbile to have a dealership install a cockpit and tonneau cover and if so has anyone ever had issues with gelcoat or fiberglass damage from the snaps being installed? Is it possible for water to leak in if the snaps are not installed properly?

noneya
01-19-2004, 04:30 PM
I just had my dealer (Water ski boats dallas) install a cockpit and tonneau cover on my boat, havent gotten it back yet so cant comment on the water leak. The shop they used to put on the snaps did some damage to the gel coat (installed wrong sized screws the first time) WSBD is taking care of all the issues related to that.