PDA

View Full Version : how shallow can i ride?

marchina
09-14-2005, 07:43 AM
Hello,

Wondering how shallow the water should be to be boating and wakeboarding safe, i've noticed that the shallow water around here is the butter efect.

best regards

Simon

sextons
09-14-2005, 12:33 PM
It's all relative, we've ridden in 3-4 feet of water with a soft bottom before and did have riders who hit the bottom if they feel hard so I wound't ride in anything less than 5-6 feet if it were rocky.
Another thing to keep in mind is the boat will kick up a different wake depending on water depth. If you load up the boat with ballast and people the water will be displaced down and if it's real shallow we've found the wake isn't as nicely shaped as it is when the water level is 10-20 feet. Also if you run a lot of weight the prop will ride low until the boat planes off so make sure you don't ding up your prop.

marchina
09-14-2005, 02:26 PM
Thanks sextons

Best Regards

Simon

stang67
09-14-2005, 09:27 PM
for wakeboarding you need at least 10 feet of water to produce a good wake. It is very noticeable as previously stated. I have wakeboarded in some shallow areas, about 4-5 feet, hitting the bottom is not fun, plus i dont like touching that bottom, thats just me. If the only clean water you can get is 5 ft deep. Def ride in the smooth water, but the deeper the better.