PDA

View Full Version : Things I've Learned.............

Buttafewcoe
09-08-2005, 10:15 AM
What I've learned after another year of boating...
1. Fill the twins (440# Straightline Fat Sacs) with air and position them in the covers.
When you fill them with water and 'burp' the air out as you go, you get the most
water in them you can, you don't have to wrestle them half full of water, and it
makes for a nice, clean shaped looking assembly.
2. Have a 'community' wakeboard for the guests. We have an O'Brien Speed w/
some cheap bindings we let newbies use. My son's LF Substance w/ Sphinx
Bindings (around $800) took a beating this year. I would not let anyone ride my
Evolution w/ Elements.
3. Rafting WILL cause scratches no matter how many fenders are used.
4. Getting the towrope wrapped around the tower anchor light will break the light off when
trying to pull up a boarder.
5. Things vibrate loose on a boat. Check things often.
6. Moomba Boats are PHAT. I have gotten compliments every single time I've been out.
7. Moomba Boats are PHAT. Girls from the Hooter's Pontoon will want to get in your boat
(ask me about this story someday when we are all remembering the good times)
8. Moomba Boats are PHAT. I can't remember any other year when I've been flashed as
many times as this year.
9. Not everyone appreciates a good stereo system.
10. Read the posts on this BB. It could save you time and money.

smokedog2
09-08-2005, 03:34 PM
Yep, chick magnet. You cannot see my boat or dock from hardly anywhere but a couple University of Dayton girls still found my dock to ask for a pull. What was an over 40 guy supposed to do?

I will run down all the stuff we broke or lost this year some other day. The life jackets are thrashed for one.

I’m not sure I learned anything. Was I really supposed to learn anything?

AL02REDMOBLSV
09-08-2005, 04:02 PM
I learned a few things this past year, but due to the concussions from face plants, I can not remember most of them. Next year I will be riding with a helmet. The wife, a buddy of mine and myself have all ordered one; so my list will definitely be better next year!

Buttafewcoe
09-10-2005, 08:37 AM
Face plants.....now that's funny. The first time I tried to go wake to wake, I bout tore my knee loose from it's moorings (nautical term):p

djiali
10-04-2005, 09:28 AM
things I've learned this summer:
1. A quick reverse can (sometimes) solve your prop problems (thank my wife for that one)
2. Slightly damaged prop CAN be repaired with a soft peice of wood and a good hand-held mallet
3. Rudders are a B*T*H to install
4. Rocks are detremental to the health of your hull
5. Small fiberglass and gel-coat repairs are well within the abilities of your average boat owner...just don't expect it to be perfect.
6. your engine WILL run without a belt (don't ask...I don't know the answer)
7. depth finders lie
8. don't trust speedos that rely on water preasure for speed readings
9. neoprene shirts are AWSOME
10. a jeep liberty CAN pull a 99 outback rather efficiently.
11. when you forget to put the drain plug back in, the waterline rises rapidly, but the bilge pump will save your a$$.

it's been a great season, I'll be riding until my drive says it's too cold.

EUSTACE
10-04-2005, 11:15 AM
1. Never have elective surgery in the first week of June (took me about a month till I was back to riding normal)
2. Don’t care what people think, but wearing a helmet works for me. I took a bell ringing head shot early in the season then got a helmet. After that, found myself charging into the wake with tons of confidence and didn’t see anymore stars. I even managed to get my (fashion victim) to get one and she wont board with out it.
3. First year with a Bimini top, don’t know how I lived with out on…..
4. Always put your dog’s life jacket on before the boat hits the water, especially if it’s a Pug.
5. The 01’ Outback LS still gets tons of compliments.
6. Proper winterization and attention to basic maintenance = Another flawless season
7. Tighten Mako board racks before each trip.
8. Quick Grip spring clamps make an awesome tower flag holders – cheap too.
9. Life is good when you have someone who can backup the trailer.
10. A nickel will work fine if you lose your trailer backup lock out.

Bobby
10-05-2005, 10:42 AM
Hmmmm...

1. There is a reason that insurance companies charge more for teenage drivers
2. It's not always good to know your service manager by first name and even the names of his kids
3. Teenagers think gas is free when they use your credit card
4. Yellow Mobius LSV's need a $300,00 lake house to park in front of
5. The Texas State football team like to wakeboard but LOVE to eat... a lot!
6. The Mobius looks so much better on a trailer than on the shore
7. $150.00 ski ropes will wrap around the prop just as well, if not better, than less expensive ones
8. That fine looking light bar does not impress the Texas Parks & Wildlife while wakeboarding at night
9. Mount your amps at least 2" of the floor
10. Have fun cause there will always be a new Moomba for sale somewhere

silverski
10-07-2005, 10:45 AM
1. The week after the 4th of July is not a good time to bring your boat in for 20 hour service. It will leave you bitter.
2. Trying to get in one more run with a crying 15 month old will result in your wife running over the rope.
3. It is much easier to unwind the rope the second time your wife runs over it than the first.
4. It is much easier to unwind the rope from the prop when you have goggles.
5. Wakeboarding can be more fun than slalom when you get the right equipment.
6. Inboard boats are absolutely superior to an i/o. I will never go back.
7. Friends actually think that Cheetos and bing cherries are good boat food for children in a boat with 5 hours on it. Subtle hints will not work. Throwing them in the lake does.
8. Winterizing yourself is not that hard.
9. You will save an hour of winterization time once you figure out that the engine in a v-drive is mounted backwards. When the manual says "front of engine" that doesn't necessarily mean the front side of the boat. You will feel stupid when you figure this out.
10. Even if your wife runs over the rope, it is awesome to have a boat that is easy to drive and you can get her out there more.
11. Moomba has yet to come up with the "more time on water" option that I have been looking for. Just because you drop a bunch of money on a boat doesn't mean that all of your other commitments will cease and that your family will want to spend every non working moment in the boat.
12. You will not regret any option that you added and will kick yourself for all that you don't.

Catdog1
10-07-2005, 10:08 PM
Chock the wheels before uncoupling, even if the driveway LOOKS flat.

BensonWdby
10-10-2005, 07:21 PM
1. High performance skis don't really perform highly until you start skiing shorter and faster..
2. You do not have to wait until you can be good in the course at 22 off before you start playing with shhorter rope in ope water...

Schmitter
12-28-2005, 03:00 PM
1. Don't get rid of your old truck until you actually take delivery of your NEW truck.
2. Sometimes lazyness pays off. (See #1)
3. The soda will suck itself out of the can if the can and down the side carpet if the can is in the observer seat drink holder and you run the boat at speed.
4. Running a boat at speed can quiet a crying two year old.
5. Be stealthy, aparently when the blue and white Outback thinks it is good enough water to play, everyone else has to come play too, and when I say "play" I mean ruin my good ski water.
6. Wave to EVERYONE. You do not know where your next tow is coming from.
7. You will only be held up at work slightly later than normal on "Water Ski Wednesday".
8. The nudie bar is conveniently located 1/2 way home from the lake. Coincidence? I think not.
9. You can cure the desire for a larger boat by skiing with a shorter rope. If you make it short enough, the boat looks huge.

pullmyfingers
01-05-2006, 05:43 PM
While drinking beer may improve you pool playing or backyard football prowess, it does NOT improve your skiing.

It does lessen the pain of cracked ribs enough to ski again after about 30 minutes however short of breath you might be.

Do not scold your wife when she does something wrong while pulling you, i.e. not noticing that you fell half a mile back, running past you when picking you up, running over the rope, etc.