PDA

View Full Version : '01 Outback not cranking

enrique307
09-07-2005, 12:31 AM
I was wakeboarding the other day and everything was working fine I shut the engine off and then tried to turn it back on it initially tried to turn the engine and then it quit. When I tried to start it again it doesn\\\'t turn the engine at all and just makes a spinning sound. I have since taken the starter and soleniod off and had it tested at AutoZone. They told me that the starter was a little rough but was working properly. I just bought the boat and the previous owner just had the solenoid replaced. I am not sure what the problem is, I was hoping it was the starter or solenoid but according to AutoZone it is working fine. Any ideas on what you think it is and a suggestion is appreciated.

NH Moomba
09-07-2005, 06:16 PM
I would check the ring gear on the flywheel. It could be chewed up or missing some teeth.

Andy

Buttafewcoe
09-08-2005, 07:09 AM
Whar year is the boat, how many hours?......Does the starter work better when cold?.......I have bench tested starters and they seem to work fine. But find out the bendix isn't kicking in all the way to engage the flywheel to make that spinning sound you said you heard. The flywheel may be chewed up, but I would'nt think so. If the guy at AutoZone said it was a little rough, it would make me question the starter.
Hope this helps
Butta

enrique307
09-10-2005, 10:56 AM
Do you know if the starter is different from a starter on a regular 350 Chevy engine. I looked at getting a replacement at Autozone but wasn't sure if it would be ok. The part looked exactly the same accept for the paint. The amount of teeth on the gear were the same too. What do you think? The boat has 124 hours on it.

Buttafewcoe
09-10-2005, 06:19 PM
Use caution.............automotive parts will work, however they are not built to suppress sparks the way marine grade parts are made and can cause an engine compartment explosion should fuel vapors accumulate. Use of auto parts on marine engines are not recommended.
If you know of a place that rebuilds starters and altenators, they may be able to repair it at a cost much less than buying a new one. I had an altenator rebuilt for 30 bucks........cost of a new one...$200.
Hope this helps
Butta

enrique307
09-11-2005, 02:25 PM
You are correct, I would rather have it rebuilt rather than risk an explosion. Thanks for the information.