PDA

View Full Version : Owners: Moomba vs. Mastercraft

brianw21
08-27-2005, 12:32 PM
I've been doing some reasearch, reading the boat rags. I was pretty set on a new Moomba Mobius XLV for 2006.

Then last night I had dinner with a couple who brought another couple. They knew I was looking for a boat. When I mentioned that I was looking at a moomba, he couldn't of looked more unhappy.

He was a former moomba owner in the 80's, with a new boat. It must have been a fairly old model as it had a closed bow. His gneral comments were a horrible ride, and cheap build quality. He had no mechanical complaints.

His next boat was a mastercraft of the same era. He said it was a night and day difference. THe build quality was much better. Although he did say that they had nothing but headaches with the dealer.

I would like an honest opinion. Was the build quality between the two manufacturers as described back then? How has this changed? What is the build quality compared to mastercraft today?

I know that everything evolves over time, but even today there is a $20k difference in pricing, that has to account for something.

I would appreciate honest and cut and dry feedback.

tygger6069
08-27-2005, 10:31 PM
brianw21

Some of the guys at Moomba/Supra used to be at MC, or so I was told or read somewhere. That bieng said just check out the WEB sites of each. I have tried to get onto the MC site like this one but could not do so. I feel that my 2000 Moomba Kamberra is just as nice as a similiar sized MC. But if you look at the Web sites and the constuction methods, you will see that they are very good.

My Kamberra still gets compliments everytime we go out in her. Just the other day I was asked if it was an '05!!

Hope that this helps, besides, both MC and Moomba use the same engines, ect.

Tygger

waterboy
08-28-2005, 01:39 AM
What Ed said. I have a 2001 Outback LS that still looks new and still turns heads. Never had any problems with quality, fit or finish. I've received excellent customer service from both my dealer and the guys at the plant. Can't beat the price, either. The reason for the $20,000 difference is because they'd rather sell boats then gouge their customers.

I think instead of comparing boats built 20 years ago it's better to do what you're doing now........asking the Moomba owners themselves.

After my experience with this boat I wouldn't even consider another brand. I'm that impressed.

Brian

Legace
08-28-2005, 07:22 AM
The guy said he owned an older Moomba. When Moomba first came out they were a basic ski boat with a couple of seats thrown in. They were meant to provide a good wake at the cheapest way possible. Search on the web for Boomarangs and Kangas. You will see a huge difference between Moomba then and now. A good in-depth review of the companies can be found at Waterski Magazines website. Go to their boat reviews and click on company profile buttons.

http://www.waterskimag.com/client.jsp?page=/Company_Profile&clientID=25205&contentID=33

http://www.waterskimag.com/client.jsp?page=/Company_Profile&clientID=17146&contentID=33

carsondoc
08-29-2005, 12:14 PM
I think that from a mechanical standpoint the Moomba is clearly at least as good. Hand-laid fiberglass hull, same engines, same teleflex controls, good guages, etc.

In my opinion, the differences come in the finish stuff. Lots of chrome on the Mastercraft, more interior padding, often thicker carpet, chrome grab bars, nicely finished dash, ss rubrail, logo integrated into the finish, stuff like that.

Interestingly, take a close look at the parts on the MC vs. Moomba. The last time I looked, they had the same vinyl manufacture, same windshields, same engines, same control cables, same props. Part of the Exec Team from MC defected in the late 90's and bought Skiers Choice. Think it's a coincidence that they are buying their parts from the same suppliers and building hulls the same way?

I truly believe that what it all really comes down to is ego gratification and fluff. I think you'll be fine on the water either way (but your bank account will be much happier with Skiers Choice). Good luck.

08-29-2005, 10:04 PM
It really struck me this weekend, I looked at a used 2001 MC X-star this weekend. Loaded, with 500 hours... and they wanted $38k. I just can't imagine paying that much for a 5 year old boat.

I would rather have a new boat for around the same price, and know that I took good care of her.

marchina
08-30-2005, 12:44 AM
Moomba it's great the boat it's perfect i own a lsv 05, MC it's too expensive because you're paying the name.

Adios

Simon

mobiusLSV05
09-01-2005, 08:40 PM
When you buy a MC you are supporting all of their pro riders. Im not for certain how many there are from SC but Im pretty sure there arent as many

SoTX
09-10-2005, 08:21 AM
I am on my second Moomba. I currently have the Gravity Games XLV and I LOVE it. By far the best boat I have ever owned. Plus after the purchase I had money left over to buy new boat toys. I do mot think you can go wrong with Moomba.

Buttafewcoe
09-10-2005, 08:33 AM
The 10 - 15K diff in price will buy a lot of gas. I figure they use about the same.

Livindadream
09-13-2005, 07:00 AM
Saw a great quote on this from a MC owner on some other chat sight. Quote was, if you owned a Moomba, "Everyone would know you had the cheapest boat on the lake". I think that is the biggest issue. If you are a keeping-up-with-the-Jones' type concerned with what other people may think, you spend the extra 15k+. If you are concerned with a great ride at a great price, buy a Moomba. I do, however, think attitudes are shifting. I do 95% of my skiing at Norris Lake. Three years ago when I bought my Mobius mine was about the only Moomba on a lake full of Malibus and Mastercrafts. Still a ton of Malibus down there, as NoWake in Cincy does a great job of marketing themselves, but the Moombas are becoming plentiful. When my boat is parked at one of the many marinas, lots on lookers and passersby, with comments of "I have heard great things about these boats". I personally would not buy any other inboard boat. Makes me feel fiscally responsible, I guess.

smokedog2
09-13-2005, 07:08 AM
While at a wakeboard rider show (Malibu event) I talked to a guy with a MC X-9 that was so unhappy I got an education on the lack of lemon laws for boats in Ohio. They had a very bad experience. Serious gel-coat cracking and electrical problems. They also did not have heaters, Perfectpass or a depth gauge. All options they passed on to get the big X-9 on the side. They are the only MC owners I have ever met. I am inclined to think their experience was an anomaly. SC has an anomaly or two every once in awhile as well. I still do not understand why boats are so tough to consistently manufacture.

It is very hard to accurately say who has the fewest lemons, or how much (if any) the owner contributes to the problem. I’m quite sure the dealer can contribute a lot or a little to the solution.

Go to some events, lurk at a few boat ramps and ask a few questions about the boat and the dealer. Check out the MC BB. Make your choice and I hope you love it, more importantly, I hope you use it. We are having a ball with mine. 92 hours for the year.

SD2

Heem
10-10-2005, 02:16 PM
I too was curious as to why the big price differences. Did a big price mean significant differences and a better boat. I called a dealer and this is what I was told. The hulls are virtually the same. They use the same motors, transmissions, cables, etc. One of the big reason for the price differential is advertising. Skiers Choice spends roughly $1,000,000 on advertising divided between two boat lines annually(Moomba and Supra). Divide how many boats are made by the annual cost and you can roughly see how much money for advertising is built into each boat. MC spends roughly $5 million on advertising on one boat line, just MC, annually. Now divide the same amount of boats into $5 mil and you get a rough cost for advertising per boat. Now, understand that these numbers are not exact but you get the idea. If someone wants to give me a MC I will gladly take it but since I work for a living I will be fiscally responsible I purchase a boat that gives me the same excitement for a lot less money.

pjtatro
10-21-2005, 02:14 PM
ditto, ditto, ditto. Same engine, same v drive, same prop. Moomba was not good back in the 80's, it is amazing how long a first impression can last. Mastercraft gives a ton of boats to pro's and has to make up for that with pricing. Plus they are relying on the name to make you pay more. I remember the Cadillac Cimaron (sp?), just a chevy cavalier with a cadillac emblem, cost 10-15K more though.........

jmski1
05-25-2006, 04:06 PM
i have been skiing since the 80s and been on the promo team for Nautique & Malibu, our club has always had a Master craft Promo (if you don't know Promo Boats are the Boats that the Company's sell Cheap to pull Tournaments, They make sure these boats are Perfect before they leave the factory). during the 80's and early 90's you couldn't beat Nautiques & Master Crafts, but during the mid 90's something happened to Master Craft (i guess all the good employees went to Supra Moomba) the boats started breaking down and falling apart. every year it was something else and after talking to some master craft promo people at a recent tourney they are still doing the same stuff.

when it came time to buy my own boat (when i was skiing tourneys dad was footing the bill) i talked to a friend of mine who is a skiers choice dealer and checked out every thing i could on the moombas. they handle as well and seem to be made as sturdy as anything out there.

jj29ca
05-25-2006, 06:47 PM
Just read this post and thought it was worth commenting on, even though the original post was last summer. I don't think anyone can honestly say that Mastercraft doesn't make a good product. I also agree that Moomba has come a very long way from those original days. Afterall, in the eighties, many boats were slapped together using plywood that was not marine grade and was not sealed. Obviously the marine industry had to change, the same way the auto industry had to stop selling pinto's and vega's.

Mastercraft was sold and is now part of the parent that owns Sea Ray and a host of others. I think they still strive to produce a quality product and if you compare fit and finish, they have done a great job, but remember, your are paying a premium for that.

That being said, I haven't seen much change in there ski boats over the past 5 to 10 years. It's still a prostar, and although the trim and look is slightly different, you are paying for the quality of behind the boat, otherwise buy runabout and save your money. Rumour has it that all of their R&D is being spent on Wakeboarding boats, which they certainly have produced many of. As a barefooter, I can tell you that they have been sponsoring KSO, but his Sanger is listed for sale at Barefootcentral.com and I don't think mastercraft makes barefoot boats anymore.

But most importantly I would love to know why legendary ski boat designer Rob Shirley left and has joined the canadian company Svfara Marine, and has just introduced the SVONE - that is one cool looking machine. But again, it costs more $$$ than your Moomba.

As a barefooter with a family I want a boat that I can use for barefooting (ie has a wake that I can cross) yet is still good for other things. I run a Moomba with a wake plate-plate is an absolute must for small enough wakes to do wake slalom. Anyways, you can see it in action at CanadaBarefoot.com and touch wood, I have not had a single problem mechanically or structurally with the boat. O yeah, its is also an awesome look!!! ;)

tarkus70
05-26-2006, 08:57 PM
from someone who has owned mostly Mastercrafts ( skier,pro star, mri star) Ican say that they have all been good boats. The thing is price I did not need all the Bling and billet aluminum? I needed something to have fun on and be happy with. And I am very happy with my new Outback V. iguess its all in how much money you want to spend i would rather not spend the money and get just as good a quality if not better boat.

wakeboard dad
05-26-2006, 09:44 PM
I felt the need to add my 2 cents. As a former MC 209 owner, I did a lot of research and talking to boaters before I purchased my '04 Mobius LSV. Best money I ever spent, and I had some left over. As a worker in the marine industry, i see a lot of different boat manufacturers products. More and more the price difference comes down to "Fit and Finish". But remember, at the end of the day it's a boat and it floats. Everything else aside Moomba matches up against any other manufacturer for typically less money.

Buy your Moomba and enjoy the ride.:)

Schmitter
07-10-2006, 02:20 PM
It has been said here before, but there is definitly a name brand ego thing with the MCs. The question I asked myself, is am I going to ski better behind a Master Craft than a Moomba. At my level of skiing, I don't feel that there is enough of a difference to justify the price. At the cost of gas right now, for the difference I can buy about 6000 gallons of gas.

ben624
08-25-2006, 10:04 PM
Hey guys... I bought a used '99 outback... It looked great and drove great.... I bought it two years ago with a 147 hours on it... I have put over 200 hours on it... And all I have done to it is tune it up and change the oil... Yeah I have some rich friends who have MC... And yes they give me a hard time... But they don't mind riding in the boat and wakeboarding behind it... And when they have a few beers... They ALL say next time I am buying a Moomba... Hell I can have more fun with less money because I don't have to worry so much about using it... Because on there boats.. It is like trying to eat at an expensive restaurant when you’re hungry... You never get what you really want, or full, and you can't enjoy the meal for the price... So go to a buffet, eat, drink and enjoy the ride... Because at the end of the day... You WILL be more than satisfied with the boat and ride... If you don't believe me... Go with an owner of a MC and a owner of a Moomba.. And see how much more fun you have and feel most comfortable with.... It is your money not mine... But I will eat a buffet and drink and enjoy what I have everyday... It has been a hell of a ride boys... And I don't have time to look back.... To busy enjoying the Moomba I have now..... So when I buy again... NOTHING BUT A MOOMBA FOR ME!!!!!!!!! WAKE ON DUDES!!!!!!!!

BensonWdby
08-28-2006, 12:02 AM
The early days of my skiing carrer included sking behind fishing boats, pontoons, tri-hulls, and runabouts. Then joined a ski club and had a chance do some sking behind some Master Crafts and Nautiques, even an old Hydrodyne stern drive (AWSA approved).

When I bought my first boat money was a huge issues, so we went with an outboard. It served it's purpose for about 13 years. Then we were ready to step up. My experience with MC and CC got me started there. But I quickly found that, even used, they were out of my price range. So I found a local 1999 Mobius (5.7L carb Indmar) with 33 hours on it. The boat was AWSA approved, which meant to me that it would be suitable for pulling a course.

The boat has been pretty good to me. Aside from the whole spreading windshield/hull flex thing that is more annoying from time-to-time, it has been a pretty sound investment. My replacements have been: a couple of impellers, a bilge pump, a bilge blower that is probably needing replacement, and the windshield remounting (which would have been warranteed if I was original owner).

Lets face it: Engine, transmission, controls, a pylon (and maybe a tower), a hull, and a trailer. You can do a lot of maintenance for $20K. And if you really don't like the boat, they hold their value pretty well over the first 5-7 years. You could drive the boat for 5 years, put $5K into repairs (most likely way less) and take a $5K loss on resale and still be $10K ahead. Check www.nada.com for used boat prices.

My 2cts
Dave