PDA

View Full Version : Best Crossover Boat

08-26-2005, 11:00 AM
First year on the Lake. I am new to boating, have a ton of kids to haul around. I am wondering what the best Moomba model would be if I want to:

1. Teach the kids to waterski
2. Waterski myself occasionally
3. Transition the kids to wakeboarding because I know that they will want to do it.
4. Stay off the wakeboard because I am 52 years old but occasionally slolum ski myself
5. Cruise across the lake to friends house on a big lake that sometimes gets choppy.
6. Retain some resale value, so purchase a boat with options that others are likely to want to buy used.

Thanks
KRC

conaty
08-26-2005, 11:01 AM
I am new to boating, have a ton of kids to haul around. I am wondering what the best Moomba model would be if I want to:

1. Teach the kids to waterski
2. Waterski myself occasionally
3. Transition the kids to wakeboarding because I know that they will want to do it.
4. Stay off the wakeboard because I am 52 years old but occasionally slolum ski myself
5. Cruise across the lake to friends house on a big lake that sometimes gets choppy.
6. Retain some resale value, so purchase a boat with options that others are likely to want to buy used.

Thanks
KRC

Witt
08-26-2005, 01:23 PM
I would think the best boat for everything has to be a Mobius LSV. Plenty of room for everyone with the wrap around configuration and engine in the back. Excellent wakebaord wake as your kids get better on the wakebaord (and you for that matter) and a decent enough wake for slalom skiing. Plus a deeper hull for cruising across the lake when choppy. Plenty of options come standard on the LSV, so you can decide what else you might need to add, but the standard boat is pretty decently equipped. I think its the most boat for your money in the Moomba line. Just my opinion though.

Buttafewcoe
08-26-2005, 02:09 PM
I have to agree with Ed. The Outback will carry you a long way. I'm 47, so age has nothing to do with it. I haven't ever skied but I've been around ppl who have. Wakeboarding is a nice workout plus you can get as good as you want (or can, as my repertoire of wakeboarding skills are limited to my bravery of what I'm willing to try). I do seem to be regreting that I didn't get the V-Drive. But I am definately happy with the DD. My Outback came with most everything cept the wakeplate and Perfect Pass. Some say you don't miss what you never had, though.
Hope this helps,
btw....Happy B-Day next week Ed
Butta

conaty
08-26-2005, 05:08 PM
OK, OK, you talked me into it! I figured that getting the boat was enuf to satisfy my midlife crisis but now I am encouraged to try wakeboarding!

KRC

carsondoc
08-26-2005, 07:41 PM
The Outback is NOT a good big water boat. If you're going to spend much time on a big lake with good sized chop, go with the LSV. Just my 0.02.

Buttafewcoe
08-27-2005, 06:29 AM
Agreed...................I did say I regretted NOT getting the LSV, but I also said the DD wasn't a bad choice (not in so many words). However, most lakes around here on Saturdays are crowded with boats and chop. When we board, we pick and choose the times we are on the lake to avoid traffic (usually through the week). Saturdays are spent hanging in coves, at the sandbar, and slow moving (pimpin') cruising. If money isn't an issue, buy an X-Star or a Wakesetter. Otherwise, the Outback (for me anyway) was an excellent choice.
Hope this helps
Butta

smokedog2
08-27-2005, 09:04 AM
That must be an 06 option.

Ditto LSV but these are not 6' swell boats. I boat an 1,800 acre lake and have yet to be pushed off.

FYI I'm at the mother & laws. Retribution for a guys midweek lake cruise.

Get a wakeskate and a wakesurf board. They are a hoot.

SD2

conaty
08-27-2005, 09:54 AM
Ya the red one sounds like it will fit the bill. The Graduate model definitely. The lake is 40,000 acres, and can get choppy. A buddy of mine has a twin engine x-80. I can't afford that. The Moomba prices are more in line with what I can pay. Even with the 20 year old nun dressed babes option.

KRC

Yellowmobius
08-27-2005, 05:57 PM
Come on guys, YELLOW 2006 LSV would be THE only way to go!

conaty
08-27-2005, 07:10 PM
OK then, yellow......can I still get the 2 babes dressed as nuns option?

KRC

Seriously, I am tending towards the Mobius LSV. The dealer that I would purchase from is about 2 hours from my home and 3.5 from my lake place. Anybody see any problems with that?

smokedog2
08-28-2005, 05:04 PM
That is a long way from the dealer. Is he between you and the lake? You will likely be visiting the dealer, it is the nature of boats.

SD2

conaty
08-28-2005, 06:06 PM
No, both Alabama dealers are in the other direction.

KRC

sawbones
08-28-2005, 08:32 PM
We're also about 2.5 hours from our dealer in Alabama. We bought from Alabama Watersports in Athens - we live in Tuscaloosa. I highly recommend Alabama Watersports - they've been great to work with so far. It would be nice to be closer to the dealer, but it's really not too bad. They do all my routine service work while you wait - just a couple of hours so it doesn't require two trips - don't know of many dealers that will do that. We have an 05 Mobius LSV and have been very pleased - I think it is worth the extra drive and wouldn't buy another brand based on a 2-3 hour drive to the dealer. Besides, hopefully you won't need them very often!

conaty
08-28-2005, 09:20 PM
Thanks sawbones, that's where I plan to purchase it. I live in Birmingham and our lake place is Lake Martin. So far they have been very responsive to my questions. Where do you use your boat?

KRC

sawbones
08-28-2005, 10:34 PM
Lake Tuscaloosa. Not nearly the size of Lake Martin - I don't have to deal with as much of the chop as you do. Like everyone else said, no wakeboard boats are great in rough water, but I've been very pleased with how our LSV handles. We wakeboard mainly, but also do some skiing - I think you would be happy with it as a "crossover boat". The XLV would handle rough water better, but you probably won't like it's slalom wake - just too big.

Gharvin
08-29-2005, 07:53 AM
Conaty,
I also bought a boat from Alabama Watersports and I live in Atlanta. They are a great dealer , I will be driving out there this spring to pick up another boat from them. You can't go wrong with them as a dealer.

marchina
08-29-2005, 11:35 AM
BUY MOBIUS LSV, NO DOUBT.

Regrads

Simon

Dave A
08-29-2005, 01:41 PM
Conaty,

Logan Martin marine is another good place to buy. Alan Manor is a pleasure to deal with and located in Pell City only about 20 min from Harpersville off Hwy-280. I live in Alabaster and have been very happy with the level of service, and my moomba boat.

AL02REDMOBLSV
08-30-2005, 02:38 PM
Originally posted by Dave A

Conaty,

Logan Martin marine is another good place to buy. Alan Manor is a pleasure to deal with and located in Pell City only about 20 min from Harpersville off Hwy-280. I live in Alabaster and have been very happy with the level of service, and my moomba boat.

Logan Martin Boating Center is excellent. I have ordered speciality parts from them for my LSV and I expected to see them in two weeks or so. They called me in two days telling me to come pick up the parts!!! Now that is excelent service. I do not know year or model you have decided on, but they have a used XLV that is in perfect condition. If I did not have my LSV yet, it would be at my house for sure.

Dave A what lake are you using?

Dave A
08-30-2005, 04:50 PM
If you talking about the brown xlv, he sold it. I go out on Lay Lake some. I think I have seen you near shelby shores, south of Paridise Point Marina. I have a blue Mobius LS. We had some friends with a house out there, but they rented it out. Next time I see you out there, I will flag you down.

AL02REDMOBLSV
08-30-2005, 05:26 PM
Originally posted by Dave A

If you talking about the brown xlv, he sold it. I go out on Lay Lake some. I think I have seen you near shelby shores, south of Paridise Point Marina. I have a blue Mobius LS. We had some friends with a house out there, but they rented it out. Next time I see you out there, I will flag you down.

That is us!!! I have seen you out there for a while and I was jealous of your boat. It is what made me go get the one I have got. We always sat on the dock watching you go by (I think we muffled word under our breath and would say...What a nice boat...I hate that guy!).

We usually launch out of Paradise Point, but we have a lake house in Shelby Shores. There is an angled dock with a cover just south of paradise point near a big floating trampoline (we are about 3 houses south of the trampoline). Would love to meet up and swap suggestions!

Dave A
08-31-2005, 08:50 AM
We will definately have to get together. We are going to be up in Scottsboro this weekend, but maybe in a couple of weeks. You can e-mail me at [email protected].