PDA

View Full Version : 2003 Outback rough idle

jakes
08-23-2005, 12:21 PM
I have a 2003 outback with the 310hp carb. I am noticing that the boat wants to shut off when i put it in idle. it also idles rough. What can i do to fix this?

carsondoc
08-23-2005, 07:01 PM
Jakes, I agree. Try adjusting the idle first but keep it under 1000. If that doesn't fix it, you need to adjust the idle air-bleed screws on the metering plate. That will fix your problem.

BTW, what elevation are you running at?

jakes
08-24-2005, 03:01 PM
I live in Las Vegas Nevada and the elevation of the lake we go to is 1142 feet above sea level. Can you walk me through the process of adjusting the idle and what would you reccamend it to be set at?

thank you for your reply

jake

carsondoc
08-24-2005, 06:32 PM
Jake, the screw to adjust the idle is on the port side of the carb. The throttle cable is attached right next to it. Turn that with the boat in neutral at idle until the rpm are about 8-900. If it's still choking or loping at idle, it's time to turn your attention to the idle air-bleed screws.

There is about a 1/4" thick "plate" between the the front fuel bowl and the main body of the carb. It has two brass caps about 1/4" on each side of the metering plate. These are covering the idle air-bleed adjustment screws. You need to get these out first. (I think they are there to prevent adjustment to comply with some kind of epa regulation) I did it by drilling a 1/8" hole in them and prying them out. They are soft brass so it doesn't take too much to do it. Then you adjust your air-bleed screws on each side. Brian Raymond has already addressed how to do this on another thread within the last month so I won't go into it but it's very easy.

I hope that does the trick b/c it makes driving your boat a lot nicer.