PDA

View Full Version : Z5 Cargo Rack for new S-Bend Tower on Supra 242

scottieturnbull
11-13-2012, 04:11 PM
I recently bought a 2012 Supra 242 Launch. It was one of the first made with the new S-bend tower from Roswell. Unfortunately, the folks at Z5 didn't have the new cargo rack devised yet.

So, as I was planning my winter upgrades, I thought I'd call and see how much one would be. My jaw hit the floor when my dealer called me back.

Are you ready?

$4800 for the assembly + $800 for the tower mounting arms + Installation if needed!!!!

Maybe I am missing something here, but we are talking about less than 50' of tubing, a piece of canvas, mesh net, and a few foam rollers. This is more than a lot of decent used boats, and it doesn't have an engine.

The rack is rated to hold 60lbs. That is almost $100/lb of carrying capacity!!!! Plus, the new z5 sits below the tower speakers, thus removing about 8" of headroom too.

Has anybody else done this as an after market mod?

I am thinking about fabricating a few support bars and adding it to my current bimini. I really only need it to be strong enough to hold a tube for the kids.

I talked to SC, and they couldn't provide me with the specs on what size tubing is used in the z5, so if any of you have one that you wouldn't mind measuring, I'd appreciate it.

moombadaze
11-13-2012, 04:40 PM
$4800 for the assembly + $800 for the tower mounting arms + Installation if needed!!!!

WOW, that is not worth it at all

zabooda
11-13-2012, 04:48 PM
The first biminis on the Moomba towers were rigid. Tubing, cloth top and two channels on the tower to slide it in.

moombadaze
11-13-2012, 04:55 PM
other than not having the ability to store items on it, the bimini on the OZ tower is great

KG's Supra24
11-13-2012, 07:08 PM
You aren't paying for the materials ... you are paying for the function and appeal.

As someone who has one, it would be hard to look at a boat without it. With that said, doubt I'd pay 5k. Tough call.

mmandley
11-13-2012, 07:36 PM
Ive already ran into this problem and im pretty sure i will just have to get used to not having one on the new boat.

Right now the boats im looking at Z5 doesnt accomidate so im SOL. Also i dont think Z5 is making there product for the current 2013 Moomba line as all the towers have changed.

bergermaister
11-13-2012, 07:39 PM
I'd say for a fraction of that you could have something custom made that would perform as well or potentially better. Just gotta find the right shop that could do it. $5k is crazy.

zabooda
11-13-2012, 07:47 PM
I imagine there is a patent so that would limit the competition. For that price, you may be seeing others making something similar.

jpetty3023
11-13-2012, 08:52 PM
I think the CEO of z5 is smoking crack

sent from my home phone

sandm
11-13-2012, 10:12 PM
no he's not. at that price, he's not selling enough to buy crack.

he's enjoying some MD 20/20....

I'd look for other options if it was my boat. a local metal fabrication shop should be able to take a pic of another z5-similar bimini and fab up a frame. sunbrella should be under $500 from a reputable car uphol. shop...
looks like you just found your major winter project...

jmvotto
11-13-2012, 10:43 PM
Wow is right. Z5 is located down the road from SC and this gauging is hard to stomach . I was going to look into a z5 for the v2 but nope. Way to expensive. Also looks on the product line on their site, that the two point towers have extra fabrication on the tower to fit the z5. On all manufacturers with2 point towers.

moombadaze
11-14-2012, 09:03 AM
im not even sure a z5 on the 2 point towers would be worthwile. there is a pretty good height difference between my 08 tower and the oz tower. on the 08 with 4 speakers and the bimini just touching the speakers i could walk under with my head touching the bimini. the oz tower I have about 2" of head clearance just to the tower frame and the bimini is the same height, with 2 speakers and a z5 I'd have to be walking on my knees to get under it.

maybe the supra tower top sits higher but looking at photos it does not look like it, anyway something to think about.

Boonejeepin
11-14-2012, 10:20 AM
I have a Monster Tower cargo Bimini and it works pretty well but not a "pretty". It comes with Sunbrella fabric. I paid about $600. You would still need to figure out a way to mount it though.

kaneboats
11-15-2012, 11:32 AM
That's what I would do. Get a Monster or another prefab one and then customize my parts so it works. Maybe work with a shop on the final workup.