PDA

View Full Version : Movin' on....

deerfield
11-09-2012, 10:47 PM
Short note to share the news that I am moving -- to a new employer and city.

The position is a fit with my commercial banking skills and keeps me in the financial services industry, where I have worked since 1994.

The best part? A welcome move to the South.

I will take up residence in southern Virginia. While it’s not Alabama or Texas, it gets me into a more moderate climate and longer boating season.

Already scoped out Lake Anna as my place to play and have my eye on living in the town of Ashland.

I start the Monday after Thanksgiving. Family will follow, after finding a permanent home.

Might have to change my name. Jim Bob? Dusty? Porter? Willie?

Cheers!

mmandley
11-09-2012, 10:59 PM
Awesome man congratz buddy

jmvotto
11-09-2012, 11:22 PM
Congrats Stuart . There is a nice Moomba supra dealer on lake Anna. Never been there but they seemed to be pretty descent to deal with. Think it's called performance boats or something close. I almost bought a supra there...

wolfeman131
11-09-2012, 11:42 PM
Congratulations!

Long drive to Tuscaloosa, but you could take the I-85 route, stop over in Atlanta and get in a surf.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

ian ashton
11-10-2012, 07:32 AM
Congrats! I also recently moved and took a new position (same employer), but mine was north. Fortunately, Northern Michigan is beautiful and full of lakes!

KG's Supra24
11-10-2012, 09:29 AM
Congrats!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

wolfeman131
11-10-2012, 09:45 AM
Congrats! I also recently moved and took a new position (same employer), but mine was north. Fortunately, Northern Michigan is beautiful and full of lakes!

Ian, don't you mean "full of snow?"

It is beautiful in the UP.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

sandm
11-10-2012, 11:18 AM
It is beautiful in the UP.

Ian, did you go from a troll to a UP'er?? :)

ian ashton
11-10-2012, 06:34 PM
I didn't move to the UP! Luckily my company doesn't have a presence that far north. We are in Traverse City. New house is .2 miles from East Grand Traverse Bay, which is part of Lake Michigan.

jmb
11-10-2012, 08:41 PM
Should have moved here Stuart. Skied today. Only bad thing is Tornado weather. Was a beautiful day out today. I figure I am down to 4 months and I will be back out!

E4NASH
11-11-2012, 07:00 PM
Short note to share the news that I am moving -- to a new employer and city.

The position is a fit with my commercial banking skills and keeps me in the financial services industry, where I have worked since 1994.

The best part? A welcome move to the South.

I will take up residence in southern Virginia. While it’s not Alabama or Texas, it gets me into a more moderate climate and longer boating season.

Already scoped out Lake Anna as my place to play and have my eye on living in the town of Ashland.

I start the Monday after Thanksgiving. Family will follow, after finding a permanent home.

Might have to change my name. Jim Bob? Dusty? Porter? Willie?

Cheers!

Nice! I used to live on Lake Anna! Great memories there! Although not southern it's more Central VA, you are going to love it there. If you have any questions just let me know.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jmvotto
11-11-2012, 10:15 PM
I didn't move to the UP! Luckily my company doesn't have a presence that far north. We are in Traverse City. New house is .2 miles from East Grand Traverse Bay, which is part of Lake Michigan.

The wife says traverse city is really nice, she grew up near battle creek. Congrats again. The bay looks huge....

kaneboats
11-15-2012, 10:49 AM
Congrats on the move! I'm sure you are going to love it. How far from there to Tuscaloosa for you?

E4NASH
11-15-2012, 12:33 PM
Congrats on the move! I'm sure you are going to love it. How far from there to Tuscaloosa for you?

A pretty good way...Living in the ATL it takes me between 9-10 hours to get back home. Tuscaloosa is about 3-hours from here. So he is looking at about 12 depending on how he drives.

kaneboats
11-15-2012, 12:36 PM
Well, he'll be rockin' the new Hemi --

jmb
11-15-2012, 02:57 PM
E4NASH is right on the money. Traveled between here and Norfolk quite a few times

moombadaze
11-15-2012, 04:06 PM
so your not to far now to make the Sinclair Jam next year

kaneboats
11-16-2012, 01:29 PM
Now you're talking. Woo hoo!

deerfield
03-16-2013, 02:40 PM
As I write, am sitting near the window of a new restaurant on Lake Anna. Been here now three times and enjoyed every meal. Great seafood. Anyway, want to update you. As mentioned in a different thread, Judy and I bought a pickup truck to replace the Suburban as tow vehicle. April 5 I drive to Illinois to switch cars, leaving her the Toyota and driving the pickup plus boat back to Virginia on April 8. Have arranged covered storage and launch access on Lake Anna. Keeping the boat out of the water and on trailer when not in use. I can hardly believe the difference in cost. In Illinois, season launch access (basically four month season) and storage is over $1,000. Here in Virginia, season launch is $120 and month-to-month covered storage is $73. If the boat and wet suite were here today, I'd be on the water even though the air temp is only 60 degrees. Season for me now goes from four to ten months. Still in temporary housing, but that's okay because the boat will be here for me. If just me, I could not care less where I sleep at night or shower. We will put the house on the market in August as the boys are getting back in school. Hopefully, we will be reunited and relocated by end of year. Tried posting a couple of pics of the marina here on Lake Anna, but the manage attachments function is not cooperating. Promise to post pics of the lake as well as the new truck. All good.

sandm
03-16-2013, 03:05 PM
congrats. wish I was going your way and not your old way :)

jpetty3023
03-16-2013, 06:55 PM
love it when a plan starts coming together brotha

sent from my home phone

wolfeman131
03-16-2013, 08:17 PM
Stuart, sounds like its all falling in place. Hope you all are together as soon as possible.

Not sure if you saw my wakesurf post, but we plan to attend the event scheduled for Lake Anna this summer. Hope we can meet up.

deerfield
03-16-2013, 08:31 PM
Not sure if you saw my wakesurf post, but we plan to attend the event scheduled for Lake Anna this summer. Hope we can meet up.

Wow! I completely missed this. (Admittedly, I don't follow the wakesurf thread, much. Popular as it is, never had a chance to try it.) I will put this on my calendar. Appreciate your connecting the dots for me. Thanks.

wolfeman131
03-16-2013, 08:33 PM
Popular as it is, never had a chance to try it.

We can fix that!

E4NASH
03-18-2013, 10:18 AM
....Tried posting a couple of pics of the marina here on Lake Anna, but the manage attachments function is not cooperating. Promise to post pics of the lake as well as the new truck. All good.

What Marina are you at? I used to live in Windwood Coves...It's directly across and a little to the right of Anna Point Marina.

deerfield
03-18-2013, 10:00 PM
What Marina are you at? I used to live in Windwood Coves...It's directly across and a little to the right of Anna Point Marina.

Sturgeon Creek Marina. I think it is down the road not far from Anna Point Marina. I bought a launch pass for Sturgeon. Storage is across the street at a new business.

E4NASH
03-18-2013, 10:06 PM
Yep I know exactly where that is. Good memories over there...man, I miss it! Haven't been back since 2009. Maybe this year is the year...

deerfield
04-09-2013, 10:09 PM
Well, for those not already aware, I took a job in Virginia that required me to relocate from Illinois. This past weekend, I drove to Illinois to trade cars with my wife and tow the Outback to Virginia. She now has the Toyota Highlander and I have the pickup truck and boat. To stay ahead of incoming rain and snow, I left Illinois late Sunday night and drove straight through to Virginia. Passed through Indianapolis and Lexington. Kept it at or under the speed limit, and stopped twice to shut my eyes for a half hour, so the drive took seventeen hours. Boat and trailer are in covered storage across the street from the marina and launch. Weather today was sunny, in the low 80s. Looking forward to the weekend. Need to make friends so I have a crew while waiting for my wife and kids to catch up to me later this year. I will post pics of the boat and new truck this weekend. Cheers!

kaneboats
04-09-2013, 10:13 PM
Glad to hear you got the Outback there safely. Try posting up in the find a ride, section and see what kind of response you get. Let's see those pics!

wolfeman131
04-09-2013, 11:46 PM
Good to hear travels went well. That is a long drive to do solo.

Slingo is on Lake Anna. Maybe shoot him a pm. Believe he has a Mojo.

sandm
04-10-2013, 08:47 AM
did 1850 miles a few months ago with boat/truck. I feel your pain.. it'll be worth it in the end :)

Cigars n scotch
04-11-2013, 09:25 PM
Congrats and hope you and the family are together soon!

We are moving to SC in July, super excited!

deerfield
04-13-2013, 10:10 PM
Took these today at the covered storage site nearby to the marina. My Outback is on the left. New pickup on the right. Looking forward to next weekend and getting on the water.

/Users/judithgoodpasture/Desktop/2013-04-13 13.35.11.jpg

/Users/judithgoodpasture/Desktop/2013-04-13 13.36.04.jpg

deerfield
04-13-2013, 10:12 PM
Okay, who can tell me how to load pictures from this MacBook Air? Obviously, I can't.

mmandley
04-13-2013, 10:13 PM
Took these today at the covered storage site nearby to the marina. My Outback is on the left. New pickup on the right. Looking forward to next weekend and getting on the water.

/Users/judithgoodpasture/Desktop/2013-04-13 13.35.11.jpg

/Users/judithgoodpasture/Desktop/2013-04-13 13.36.04.jpg

I see no pictures man

deerfield
04-13-2013, 10:57 PM
I see no pictures man

Took the pictures with a Samsung tablet. Sent them to my email. Saved them to the desktop on the MacBook Air. So far, so good. Then, it falls apart. The Attachment function refuses to load up. So, tried dragging them from the desktop into the post. Clearly, the only thing that dropped into the post were the two addresses. Any ideas how to remedy?

wolfeman131
04-14-2013, 12:08 AM
Upload to photobucket & then post the IMG code

deerfield
04-14-2013, 08:22 AM
..... then post the IMG code

What is meant by "post the IMG code"? I opened an account and saved two pictures to Photobucket.

mmandley
04-14-2013, 09:39 AM
What is meant by "post the IMG code"? I opened an account and saved two pictures to Photobucket.

On your picture you should see a little gear in the upper right corner. Click it for LINKS then the bottom LINK is the IMG code. Copy Paste it to your post.

You can also use the EMAIL to email them directly to people.

deerfield
04-14-2013, 12:24 PM
Like this?

http://i1348.photobucket.com/albums/p724/deerfield2/2013-04-13133604_zps7fcba241.jpg (http://s1348.photobucket.com/user/deerfield2/media/2013-04-13133604_zps7fcba241.jpg.html)

deerfield
04-14-2013, 12:25 PM
Deleted post.

deerfield
04-14-2013, 12:26 PM
Guess not. Keeps posting the same picture.

deerfield
04-14-2013, 12:29 PM
One more try.....

http://s1348.photobucket.com/user/deerfield2/media/2013-04-13133511_zpsb2399100.jpg.html?sort=3&o=1

mmandley
04-14-2013, 02:32 PM
Nice man. Yea sometimes it can get hung up with the link code.
Just have to watch the numbers at the end of the code, they are the pic number.

Mine was hanging up last night with posting 4 pictures but the code was saying i had 5 pictures. IDK lol

kaneboats
04-15-2013, 10:53 AM
Truck looks great. Good match!

deerfield
11-26-2013, 08:17 PM
Update:

We will be moving into a new (to us) home February 1.

It’s a three-bedroom, two-bath house, with 2-car detached garage. The lot is six acres, most of it wooded, completely fenced.

I mention the fence because we have a lab that will enjoy the chance to run to her heart’s content. All she has known is a small yard in a suburban setting.

Living in the country will be a new experience for us. Commute time is about the same. Drive time to work is 40 minutes and lake is 30 minutes.

The job in Richmond is going well and move away from a big city and bitter cold winters fits us well.

Will circle back with an update to the thread after moving in and getting settled.

wolfeman131
11-26-2013, 09:32 PM
Congrats Stuart!

jmvotto
11-26-2013, 10:46 PM
Stuart, that's great news.

Nephew went to school there, a spyder, lives in Charlottesville now..
Nice area...

kaneboats
11-27-2013, 10:44 AM
Congrats on getting out while the getting is good. You'll love living in a place with a little hope.

viking
11-27-2013, 12:01 PM
Nice! I wouldn't be able to live in a City after having elbow room for so long. It's nice your closest neighbor will be more than a stone throw away. Home is where you make it tho.
Happy Thanksgiving.

deerfield
11-29-2013, 05:47 PM
I want to convert the garage into a guesthouse.

Thinking about:

• Removing and replacing the roof with a steep pitch to create a second floor room.
• Insulating, adding a (first floor) bathroom, and replacing the two large garage doors with windows.
• Installing a spiral staircase.
• Installing a heat and cooling source.

To keep the cost down, I will go simple and do as much of the work as possible myself.

Appreciate design ideas, technical suggestions, and what to avoid.

Thanks.

maxpower220
11-30-2013, 11:00 PM
Check building codes to see if the studded structure can be made into a second floor. You may need an engineerer to determine that. What power source is out there? You may need a new line to support a kitchen and HVAC, most garages only have limited power.

deerfield
12-01-2013, 09:58 AM
Check building codes to see if the studded structure can be made into a second floor. You may need an engineerer to determine that. What power source is out there? You may need a new line to support a kitchen and HVAC, most garages only have limited power.

Thanks. I will check the building code. There is electricity to the garage door openers, ceiling lights, and receptacles. To keep it simple, not adding a kitchen. Just putting in a bathroom.

deerfield
09-27-2014, 09:24 PM
Life in Richmond is good. Judy and I have taken to rural living. Drive to the office is about 40 minutes. Church is a 30 minute drive. We replaced the ten-year old Highlander with a 2015 Subaru Forester. Nice car and fairly inexpensive. Still have the RAM pickup. Boat pretty much sits in the garage. Hook it up to the garden hose every couple of weeks and run it in the drive. Time will come that we can get back on the water more frequently. We go through tons of data service connecting to the Internet. Glad we have satellite TV to enjoy college football. Roll Tide! If any of you guys are passing through on I-64, you are welcome to drop in if you need a place to stay for the night. Cheers!

Badfoot
09-28-2014, 09:48 AM
Maybe you can get it off the hose put it in the water soon. Give me shout and maybe we can meet up on the water sometime. We live in Powhatan rural area, not too far away. Going to hit the river this afternoon.